Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 Brandied Shrimp per Cherry's Request
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Brandied Shrimp per Cherry's Request Next Topic  

NikkiBeaumont
True Blue Farmgirl

473 Posts

473 Posts

Posted - May 05 2009 :  07:02:53 AM  Show Profile
Okay, I feel like I have to qualify this recipe. There have been two times in the past 11 years that I have bought alcohol and both times have been for cooking. Once, the brandy a year ago. The other, just two weeks ago, red wine for a beef recipe out of a magazine.

Note, it is way more fun to cook with alcohol with someone else, just as it is way sad to cook with alcohol alone. I don't know why. Maybe because if you happen to get a little tipsy "tasting" as you go, you have someone to share the silliness with.

Brandied Shrimp

2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 tablespoon olive oil
3 garlic cloves, finely minced
1 pound shrimp, peeled and deveined
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1/8 teaspoon Tabasco sauce (or more)
salt and pepper
1/2 cup ketchup
1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
2 tablespoons brandy
2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley

Melt the butter with the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the garlic and cook, stirring often, until fragrant, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in the shrimp, Worcestershire sauce, tabasco, and some salt and pepper. Simmer til shrimp are partially cooked and begin to curl, about 2 minutes. Stir in ketchup and oregano and simmer 2 more minutes or until shrimp are opaque and just cooked through. Add the brandy and parsley. Stir to combine. Remove from heat and serve.

This recipe is really open to fiddling with and doing your own thing. We questioned the liberal amount of ketchup and stingy amount of alcohol.

In fact, after cooking several batches we ran out of brandy and ended up raiding the liquor cabinet at the beach condo that we were renting. Someone had raided it before us and there was only a tiny amount in each bottle. Our version of this recipe ended up with a blend of vodka, rum, and tequila, but we stopped ourselves at the bourbon. My mom and I had a jolly time tasting and stirring and saying that it needed more hooch.

Farmgirl Sister #554

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - May 05 2009 :  07:22:15 AM  Show Profile
Nikki, I have a sign in my kitchen that says, "I always cook with wine, sometimes I even put it in the food." And yes, having a cooking buddy is more fun.

Copied the recipe, will give it a go. I think we'll need to invite friends.
Go to Top of Page

NikkiBeaumont
True Blue Farmgirl

473 Posts

473 Posts

Posted - May 05 2009 :  07:37:21 AM  Show Profile
Belle, I've seen that sign in kitchens and think it is too cute. Oh gosh, that recipe would be fun as a great ice-breaking appetizer. Let everyone get in on the action. Ha!

Farmgirl Sister #554
Go to Top of Page

CherryMeDarlin
True Blue Farmgirl

602 Posts

Cherry
Odenville AL
USA
602 Posts

Posted - May 05 2009 :  09:06:29 AM  Show Profile
Oh, Nikki, you dahlin' girl! You're so talented, even making a recipe funny! I laughed 'til I snorted! Many thanks!

~~Cherry~~

"A thing is as simple or as complicated as you make it." --TT Murphy
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Brandied Shrimp per Cherry's Request Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page