Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Outpost
 Discovering Our Real National Treasure
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Outpost: Previous Topic Discovering Our Real National Treasure Next Topic  

NikkiBeaumont
True Blue Farmgirl

473 Posts

473 Posts

Posted - May 04 2009 :  4:48:54 PM  Show Profile
Discovering Our Real National Treasure

We stumbled upon Russell Cave by a happy circumstance, when we saw a sign for it as we were on our way to the Cornbread Festival. I was surprised because I thought that it was in Alabama and here we were in Tennessee, very close to the Alabama line as I was to discover.

The drive out to the cave was idyllic with farms spreading out in the valley and the Appalachian foothills rolling up on either side. The grounds of the park were neatly manicured, but I was disappointed that there was no cave in sight. I guess I expected to drive right up to it.

As soon as we entered the Ranger Station we were ushered into a room to watch a film on the history of the cave. I was glad for the chance to learn more about this place that I was about to explore. It turns out that Russell Cave has been inhabited periodically for more than 5,000 years. Several thousand pounds worth of artifacts have been unearthed there with much of what was found going to the Smithsonian Institute.

Oakley, Mom and I toured the museum, quickly scanned the exhibits, then headed for the trail. It was just a short walk out to the cave and we had the added good fortune of having a ranger accompany us and point out all the interesting facts about what we were seeing. I mentioned that I had recently read an article in Alabama Living about Russell Cave and he turned out to be the author!

It is such a beautiful and inviting place. I understand completely why people wanted to live there. A stream of water flows into one side of the cave and as we stood on the boardwalk quite a distance from its mouth we could feel the cool, refreshing “breath” emanating from it.

We talked about the artifacts that they found in the cave. Of course, there were many pottery shards and arrowheads. Ranger James pointed to the back of the cave where it was discovered that they buried their garbage. I was like, “What? They didn’t have teenaged boys to take it out?”

Ranger James also took us up the hiking trails and showed us several wildflowers (which I photographed but forgot the names of) and a large sinkhole that had occurred when the roof of part of the cave fell in. Wow! We were glad that we weren’t there for that!

This day happened to be the one day of the year when they have their Junior Ranger program and Oakley jumped right into the activities. They played Russell Cave bingo, planted black-eyed susans, and learned to throw an atlatl, which is a tool that helps to propel a spear at greater distances and speeds. I even got to try it and I was rather impressed that I was able to throw it on the first try.

After completing some assignments in her workbook, Oakley became an official Junior Ranger and we went to see what treasures we could bring back from this experience. We bought a bag of arrowheads and a replica of a pump drill, which actually works! The entire family has been endlessly amused by drilling holes in a board that we keep on the coffee table in the living room and we make (um, encourage) all visitors try it at least once. Selena even managed, on a dare, to drill a hole with her feet!

The visit to Russell Cave National Monument wasn’t just an activity to fill an empty afternoon; it turned out to be an enriching experience for the whole family. We have learned so many memorable lessons from this one outing and are eager to discover more of our National Treasure.

Farmgirl Sister #554

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - May 04 2009 :  5:24:30 PM  Show Profile
Wow! That is so interesting. What a delight and yes--the National treasure. Aren't we always learning. MB

http://www.smallcityscenes.blogspot.com
www.strawberryhillsfarm.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com www.holyhouses-day4plus.blogspot.com
"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 04 2009 :  7:31:25 PM  Show Profile
That is a beautiful place. Why have I not been there? I have heard of it, though. And I think those are mayapples. Great pictures, thanks for sharing them.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 04 2009 :  7:56:54 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Very Beautiful. I love exploring State Parks, especially ones that have information centers! We used to stop at places like that when I was younger. The experiences there really stick with you!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

NikkiBeaumont
True Blue Farmgirl

473 Posts

473 Posts

Posted - May 05 2009 :  03:22:15 AM  Show Profile
Mary Beth, isn't it awesome to not know it all and get to find out something new everyday! That is why I would never go back to being a teenager. Knowing everything is so boring! Ha!

Oh, Kris, yay! They are mayapples! Now I can add that to my story! Ranger James said that the Native Americans made jelly out of them. That was a surprise.

I know, Alee. Since reading MaryJane's Outpost I have learned to embrace the serendipitous. Whereas before I was very rigid in my plans and did not have room in my timeline for the unexpected, now I am eager for whatever opportunity for adventure arises. I think it might be a lessening in the fear of the unknown. I'm being greatly enriched by it!

Farmgirl Sister #554
Go to Top of Page

electricdunce
True Blue Farmgirl

2544 Posts

Karin
Belmont ME
USA
2544 Posts

Posted - May 05 2009 :  12:18:28 PM  Show Profile
How wonderful, there are always nice surprises when you veer off the main rolad. Your photos are lovely...

Karin

Farmgirl Sister #153

"Give me shelter from the storm" - Bob Dylan
http://moodranch.blogspot.com
http://domesticnonsense.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

YiberryYadeeKarin
True Blue Farmgirl

343 Posts

Karin
Spokane Valley WA
USA
343 Posts

Posted - May 05 2009 :  1:38:20 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for sharing your find!

Seeing the National Service park ranger brought back memories -- I was one back in the mid-1980s, Smokey Bear hat and all, which seems like another lifetime.

"Treasures" I worked at were Craters of the Moon (southern ID), Shenandoah (Blue Ridge Mtns. of VA), Little Bighorn Battlefield (SE MT), Grand Canyon, and even a cave, Wind Cave in the southern Black Hills of SD.

I miss those days! (former) "Ranger Karin"
Go to Top of Page

NikkiBeaumont
True Blue Farmgirl

473 Posts

473 Posts

Posted - May 05 2009 :  2:45:37 PM  Show Profile
Karin, neat! What a wide range of totally cool places to work! You must have some interesting stories about your experiences! It would be cool if you would post them here.

Karin, thanks for the compliment! I like that apron/clothespin holder that you made. It looks like it turned out great. That woman's name on the headstone was very different.

Farmgirl Sister #554
Go to Top of Page
  Outpost: Previous Topic Discovering Our Real National Treasure Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page