ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4739 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4739 Posts

Posted - May 04 2009 :  2:25:25 PM  Show Profile
Thanks to a generous new neighbor, I have hostas galore! They were planted in an area of full sun and my neighbor didn't want them anymore. She very kindly told me I could have the lot of them! It just so happened I had created a large new flowerbed around a maple tree in a shady area, so I was able to fill it in with the hostas. I put a bunch in some woods next to my driveway and I still have to get the other half from her!

Not only did this save me a huge bundle of money, it filled in areas that I wouldn't have been able to afford to buy hostas for several years! I tidied up the bed I removed the hostas from & it is ready for whatever my neighbor wants to put in there.

Being downright neighborly Dawn in IL!

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 04 2009 :  3:06:06 PM  Show Profile
Sounds like you hit the jackpot, Dawn! I love hosta. I did the same thing with mine just a few weeks ago. Put them around the maple tree.

Did you know there are over like 800 different varieties of hosta? Just like tomatoes, over 700 different kinds.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

abigailc1973
True Blue Farmgirl

85 Posts

abigail
orlando fl
USA
85 Posts

Posted - May 04 2009 :  3:32:01 PM  Show Profile
Very cool! Free plants are always a welcome thing for me too. I'm with Kristin, I love Hosta too. I plant on planting some around a shady corner off my patio this Fall, it's so bare there and I think the Hosta will perk it up. If you run out of ground to put them in, I think they may pot up well too.
Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - May 04 2009 :  5:19:00 PM  Show Profile
How neat. Could you show us a picture when they come up? I have Hostas lining my front door walkway. Some teeny ones and some huge ones, they can grow pretty fast. I even gave some in containers. Very cool looking. MB

http://www.smallcityscenes.blogspot.com
www.strawberryhillsfarm.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com www.holyhouses-day4plus.blogspot.com
"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4739 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4739 Posts

Posted - May 04 2009 :  5:51:48 PM  Show Profile
Abigail, I knew there were a lot of varieties of hostas. I wish I could see them all! I love them, they are so easy to grow, require little work and give a serene feel to the garden. I really did hit the jackpot!

I'll take some pictures soon Mary Beth. I just finished watering them. I am hoping we'll get rain Wednesday and Thursday to give them a good start.

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4186 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4186 Posts

Posted - May 05 2009 :  04:23:09 AM  Show Profile
Lets hear it for all the nice neighbors!!! Yaaaa
What a great way to fill in your yard.
Hope you get them all planted before the rain

Michele
Go to Top of Page

sonshine4u
Chapter Guru

1205 Posts

April
New Prague MN
USA
1205 Posts

Posted - May 05 2009 :  07:13:48 AM  Show Profile
We got our day lillies this way. My in-laws had them split and we got the benefit! Now we get to split some of those originals in our yard and plant even more! Yippee!

Playing in the Sonshine
http://www.homesteadblogger.com/sonshine4u
Go to Top of Page

Diane B Carter
True Blue Farmgirl

1270 Posts

Diane
Blasdell N.Y.
USA
1270 Posts

Posted - May 05 2009 :  07:30:40 AM  Show Profile
I love hosta's also and have them all over my yard and last year I put a few in the hedge way between my neighbors and my house they are comming up real nice. I got mine from a friend and have been able to pass them along to others. It's great to share.

Hope all your days are Sunnydays.
dianebcarterhotmailcom.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

82kygal
True Blue Farmgirl

548 Posts

Laura
Somerset Kentucky
USA
548 Posts

Posted - May 05 2009 :  07:44:12 AM  Show Profile
I got a bunch from Miss Wilma went I went a visiting with her. I put them along my side yard I am very excited about that it makes a nice border and they are coming along great! Thank you Miss Wilma

With God, all things are possible. (Mark 10:27)
What ever you are, be a good one. (Abe Lincoln)
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4739 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4739 Posts

Posted - May 05 2009 :  12:03:10 PM  Show Profile
It is great when people share their perennials. I got daylilies & iris from my dad a few years ago and they are filling in beautifully. I love hostas too, they are really reliable and fill in beautifully. Our yard didn't have any flowers in it even though the house is 30 years old, so I appreciate anything I get.

Happy planting and sharing everyone!
Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

abigailc1973
True Blue Farmgirl

85 Posts

abigail
orlando fl
USA
85 Posts

Posted - May 05 2009 :  2:51:57 PM  Show Profile
Not only is it nice to share our garden treasures with others, it's nice to receive them. Quite a number of my plants have been generously shared with me by others. I've even received some from craigslist and freecycle. I enjoy walking among my plants and remembering where they're from, and thinking of the people who gave them to me. I try to pass some along when I can, it's always nice.
Go to Top of Page

electricdunce
True Blue Farmgirl

2544 Posts

Karin
Belmont ME
USA
2544 Posts

Posted - May 05 2009 :  5:36:54 PM  Show Profile
Nothing seems better than giving and receiving plants from each other's gardens. I love sharing my plants...

Karin

Farmgirl Sister #153

"Give me shelter from the storm" - Bob Dylan
http://moodranch.blogspot.com
http://domesticnonsense.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

82kygal
True Blue Farmgirl

548 Posts

Laura
Somerset Kentucky
USA
548 Posts

Posted - May 06 2009 :  07:19:14 AM  Show Profile
I agree making up a garden with plants from friends, nothing better. I have a question. I live in Kentucky my mom and sis live in Mont and Idaho, they are coming to visit the end of may, I was going to have mom and sis dig me a small sample of something for my garden here. Do you think the airlines will have a problem with this? I would love to have something from their garden.

Go to Top of Page

miss wilma
True Blue Farmgirl

3410 Posts

Wilma
Knob Lick Ky
USA
3410 Posts

Posted - May 06 2009 :  1:37:52 PM  Show Profile
Laura, tell them to dig good roots wrap bottoms with damp newspapers pack in an open bag and mail to you, punch a few air holes in the box and dont pack to tight, I ship like this often,If you get a chance come over and get some lilies mine are hum on gous. You wont believe my herb garden.Also I cant remember if I gave you raspberry plants or not

Farm Girl #96

http://www.picturetrail.com/misswilmasplace

http://misswilma.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

82kygal
True Blue Farmgirl

548 Posts

Laura
Somerset Kentucky
USA
548 Posts

Posted - May 07 2009 :  07:16:07 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the great info Miss Wilma, I will tell them. No I didn't get rasberry plants from you. Do you have any to spare?

Go to Top of Page

mommatracy
True Blue Farmgirl

490 Posts

Tracy
My. Olive NC
USA
490 Posts

Posted - May 08 2009 :  4:09:28 PM  Show Profile
What a nice neighbor! I love Hostas. Back in 1980 we built a house and I bought 5 pots of Hosta for $3.00 each. Over the years,from those 5 pots, by dividing them I had a yard full, my sister now has about 150,mother-in-law probably has 50 and many more were shared with friends. They just keep on giving! When we moved I brought some with me and have them growing at this house. They do really well in the shade or part sun/shade.

www.cottagebythebay.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Carol Sue
True Blue Farmgirl

4033 Posts

Carol Sue
Washingtonian
USA
4033 Posts

Posted - May 10 2009 :  10:24:35 AM  Show Profile
I think sharing and giving your plants is one of the best ways to be neighborly. A lot of my plants are from family and friends and hold great mememories. They are some that are rescues as well. I have six hostas and now after reading this I realize I will be able to share lots more!!!!!!

Now Miss Wilma if I lived closer I would beg for some raspberry plants!!!!!

www.Quitemoments.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

miss wilma
True Blue Farmgirl

3410 Posts

Wilma
Knob Lick Ky
USA
3410 Posts

Posted - May 10 2009 :  6:13:15 PM  Show Profile
you wouldnt have to beg for them, looks like we have a good crop they have lots of green berries so it wont be long. Our peach trees all have the blight . We have never had this problem before

Farm Girl #96

http://www.picturetrail.com/misswilmasplace

http://misswilma.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Hosta Heaven Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page