Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 Making do with what we have on hand
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Making do with what we have on hand Next Topic
Page: of 2

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2009 :  08:34:01 AM  Show Profile
Lainey, do you have the Fannie Farmer cookbook? It's a great all purpose cookbook and that's where I got my recipe from. I used the blender...you can do it by hand, but the "emulsion" part is a bit of a pain that way. The blender works nicely, though there is a difference in the eggs you use.

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Lainey
True Blue Farmgirl

2401 Posts

Elaine
Waco Kentucky
USA
2401 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2009 :  10:12:47 AM  Show Profile
No Jonni I don't have that cookbook, but it sounds like a good one.

Farmgirl Sister #25

http://countrygirldreams.blogspot.com/

An Angel says, 'Never borrow from the future. If you worry about what may happen tomorrow and it doesn't happen, you have worried in vain. Even if it does happen, you have to worry twice.'
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2009 :  03:35:15 AM  Show Profile
C R A Z Y!

This person obviously doesn't appreciate the finer tings in life such as FRESH sausage and home made buscuits.

Geesh. Folks around here practically fall at our feet when we bring something to them from the farm. Grands....gross!

That person was pretty rude too

Their loss

And we are the same way, after dark we are in for the night and out only to take the dog to pee and close the coops.
Go to Top of Page

campchic
True Blue Farmgirl

312 Posts

Erin
Nebraska
USA
312 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2009 :  07:12:28 AM  Show Profile
Our extra fridge/freezer died on us this last week. So now our chest freezer is FULL. We've been trying to "eat out of our freezer" anyway. My hubby is going on an elk hunt in Oct. so we need the extra room in the freezer. This just puts me behind a little. I guess it's time to be creative!

Erin

Farmgirl #190
www.concrete-and-grace.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Thistle Cove Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

141 Posts

Sandra
Tazewell VA
USA
141 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2009 :  08:47:34 AM  Show Profile
It never enters my mind to go to town to buy "grands" biscuits! I feel sorry for your guests, they are severely limited and narrow in vision and could have eaten REAL food instead of preservatives. Love those cat head biscuits with home churned butter AND apple butter -grin-.

Sandra @ Thistle Cove Farm ~ God's blessings on you, yours and the work of your hands & heart ~
www.thistlecovefarm.com
www.thistlecovefarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

prairie_princess
True Blue Farmgirl

613 Posts

Elizabeth
Carpenter WY
USA
613 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2009 :  3:01:16 PM  Show Profile
i LOVE making do! DH and i make bets on how long we can last between shopping trips... we're down to only going once a month, but right now i'm going on almost 6 weeks since our last trip! it's fun finding recipes online where you can punch in the ingredients you have on hand... people just don't realize how easy it is to make simple meals from a few ingredients. especially when you must stock up on groceries and have a freezer. i'm making so many meals from my garden veggies, i don't know if i'll need to go grocery shopping anytime soon!

and who in their right mind could possibly pass up homeade biscuits and gravy?!!! i don't put any meat in my gravy and it tastes delicious! but pork sounds wonderful...

"Only two things that money can't buy, that's true love and homegrown tomatoes."
- Guy Clark

"The man who has planted a garden feels he has done something for the good of the world."
- Charles Dudley Warner
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2009 :  3:33:12 PM  Show Profile
I gree with the Biscuits and Gravy. Homemade Biscuits and Sausage w/Gravy. I wouldn't pass n that!

Elizabeth, what websites do you go to for reference in typing in ingredients?

~Sharon

By His Grace, For His Glory

http://merryheartjournal.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Cabinprincess
True Blue Farmgirl

682 Posts

Melody June
Athens TX
USA
682 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2009 :  7:12:57 PM  Show Profile
In the 70's (oh don't let me age myself) when I was a baby (well I was LOL), they published a book called "Better Than Store Bought", by Helen Witty. Our moms had always cooked from scratch but the store shelves were filling with processed foods full of preservatives. It is just full of recipes for foods most don't know we can make at home. It has mustard, ketchup, bouillon cubes, sour cream, marshmallows just a whole book of meats, dairies, breads, condiments, candies and lots of other stuff. If anyone can get their hands on a copy of it, will wish they knew about it years ago. Oh and they give the instructions on canning the things in the book.

Smiles, Melody June

God's gift to you are your talents, your gift to Him is how you use them.
Go to Top of Page

Rivergirl_2007
True Blue Farmgirl

332 Posts

Shirley
Karnak IL
USA
332 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2009 :  8:50:30 PM  Show Profile
Melody I am going to make a real effort to find that book. It sounds like something I would REALLY like to have in my collection. My first search will be eBay. I looked for a book called "In a Pickle and a Jam" for 15 years. A friend of mine went to eBay and got it for me for $2.75.

On another note, my second and last freezer started acting up and some of my beef thawed completely. The rest of the meat and vegetables still had ice crystals and we were able to save them. Anyway, I spent today cutting, cooking and canning beef, in addition to my regularly scheduled canning. Even though the chicken had ice crystals, I may can what little I had.
Go to Top of Page

tziporra
True Blue Farmgirl

234 Posts

Robin
Seattle WA
USA
234 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2009 :  09:25:40 AM  Show Profile
The "use up what is in your pantry" idea sounds great! I'm going to start that challenge myself.

The story reminds me of when my brother came to stay last winter. I offered to make him some french fries (his favorite food) and he asked, "do you have any french fries or will you have to go buy them?"

I held up a potato.

He laughed pretty hard at himself for asking such a silly question.

Best,

Robin
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2009 :  09:30:42 AM  Show Profile
The cupboards are pretty limited at the Lynch house (payday this week!) so after my dh threw a little pity party for himself on Saturday morning (we don't have any breakfast food! I'm going to drive to McDonalds and get us something to eat), I said, "no, because we don't have any cash to waste on that sortof thing..." so I said, take $10.00, get some milk, some cheese and breakfast sausage or bacon and we'll make something wonderful." And we did. Yesterday, when he griped there wasn't anything to snack on, I grated the last of the pepperjack cheese and opened a can of black beans, and made cheese and black bean quesadillas. To rave reviews. Ugh!

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

prairie_princess
True Blue Farmgirl

613 Posts

Elizabeth
Carpenter WY
USA
613 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2009 :  10:27:43 AM  Show Profile
sharon - allrecipes.com is the main one i use... on their homepage, above the search box, you'll see "ingredients"... just go there to type them in or use this link:

http://allrecipes.com/Search/Ingredients.aspx

http://www.recipezaar.com/ - this site also has an option when searching to click on an "ingredients" button; from there it can narrow down your search a ton and give many options!

"Only two things that money can't buy, that's true love and homegrown tomatoes."
- Guy Clark

"The man who has planted a garden feels he has done something for the good of the world."
- Charles Dudley Warner
Go to Top of Page

Lanna
True Blue Farmgirl

330 Posts

Lanna
A little town in Idaho
330 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2009 :  6:37:45 PM  Show Profile
I'm still working on the from-scratch thing.
It's just so hard to learn when you almost never saw it growing up (my mom was the sole breadwinner/parent and my dad was basically another child, there was lots of premade food at our house growing up).

Half of my impetus for making so much from scratch is that the kids can't do artificial dyes/excess sugar, I'm mildly allergic to preservatives, and HFCS is just evil in my opinion. So yeah, that cuts out a bunch of the grocery store from our options.

Lanna, mama to three little monkeys and growing a new little sprout
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Making do with what we have on hand Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page