Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Outpost
 Beginner MJ "out there" badge question
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Outpost: Previous Topic Beginner MJ "out there" badge question Next Topic  

Sandra K. Licher
True Blue Farmgirl

1106 Posts

Sandra
Horseshoe Bend Arkansas
1106 Posts

Posted - May 02 2009 :  08:01:57 AM  Show Profile
Okay, I am putting together a "survival pack" for day hikes based on Mary Jane's list in her beginner badge requirement. It calls for first aid supplies and wondering what all that entails? Specifically what should I have in it? Rainproof poncho and space blanket? Where do I get these? Reflective nylon cord...what is this for and where do I find it? If anyone could help me I would appreciate it. Do you carry a backpack with all this stuff in it?
Can you tell I am new to this? Thanks for any info from some of you more experienced outdoor mavens!

Sam in AR..... "It's a great life if you don't weaken!"
Farmgirl Sister #226

www.farmgirlsam.blogspot.com

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - May 02 2009 :  3:56:35 PM  Show Profile
Sandra--REI carries all the stuff you're looking for.If there's not a store near you, you can shop on-line. Have fun hiking!
Cindy

"Dog is my co-pilot"
Go to Top of Page

Merry
True Blue Farmgirl

765 Posts

Merry
Ankeny Iowa
USA
765 Posts

Posted - May 02 2009 :  10:40:25 PM  Show Profile
Any sportsman warehouse or hunting store should carry those things, good luck!

http://afarminmyheart.blogspot.com/

"Nobody has ever measured, not even poets how much the heart can hold."
Zelda Fitzgerald
Go to Top of Page

Sandra K. Licher
True Blue Farmgirl

1106 Posts

Sandra
Horseshoe Bend Arkansas
1106 Posts

Posted - May 03 2009 :  05:34:10 AM  Show Profile
thanks you gals! I don't live ANYWHERE near those stores but looked up REI online and found most of the stuff. What is the nylon reflective nylon cord for? Do any of you know? I may have to write Mary Jane on that one!

Farmgirl Sister #226

Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - May 03 2009 :  07:13:29 AM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Hi Sandra,
The little town I live in doesnt have and REI or any outdoor stores either, However I have found that any place that sells fishing licenses will usually have a shelf of such things, or if you have a local hardware store. Keep in mind that those are all "suggested things". The nylon reflective cord can be used for anything, multi purposed, which is why it was suggested. For survival kits, the best way to assemble a kit, it to think of all the things you "might wish you had" when you were out there, and then just break it down to the items that have the most divercity.

In MaryJanes "Outpost book" she goes into detail about Wilderness Saftey beginning on page 212.

Some of the uses I can come up with for the reflective cord would be; marking your path, tying up items that you want to easily find in the dark, for the refelctive part... but cord in general would be for if your need to build an emergancy shelton working with cord would be preferred over "hoping that you can find a good vine", also for holding equipment bags togethter in case one gives out. Cord can also hold a brace in place if an arm or leg are hurt on the hike...............etc.

So, it is just an item that has multi uses.... Hope that helps

Rene~Prosser Farmgirl #185
http://farmchicksfarm.blogspot.com/http://renenaturallyspeaking.blogspot.com/

Circumstances made us FRIENDS; MaryJane's has made us SISTERS :)
Go to Top of Page

Sandra K. Licher
True Blue Farmgirl

1106 Posts

Sandra
Horseshoe Bend Arkansas
1106 Posts

Posted - May 03 2009 :  11:38:55 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Renee....I almost emailed you since I knew YOU would know these things! I think I may try the local hardware store first and Wally world's hunting and fishing section although they're 1/2 hours away but I go there for other things too. Some of those wilderness places are pricey for just the basics.
Thanks again!

Farmgirl Sister #226

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 03 2009 :  1:51:40 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Sandra- you can also get the first aid basics at a grocery store usually- some bandaid, gause, maybe some antibiotic ointment and a small package of wipes.

When we were little my dad always had us girls wear a fanny pack with a little emergency kit in it. It had some hard candy, a granola bar, a whistle, some bandaids, a small flashlight, some marking tape (like the reflective cording), a pocket knife, and a compass in it. It sounds like a lot but it compacts down. The space blankets are those silvery blankets- they hold in the body heat really well!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Sandra K. Licher
True Blue Farmgirl

1106 Posts

Sandra
Horseshoe Bend Arkansas
1106 Posts

Posted - May 04 2009 :  05:38:31 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Alee!

Farmgirl Sister #226

Go to Top of Page

NikkiBeaumont
True Blue Farmgirl

473 Posts

473 Posts

Posted - May 04 2009 :  2:21:01 PM  Show Profile
Hey, Sandra! I can readily attest to the real usefulness of the waterproof poncho! We decided to get out and hike around on Saturday when the rain seemed to have abated, but the trees were all drippy and we ended up having to buy ponchos. I determined right then and there that I would put together that survival pack of MaryJane's and keep it in my trunk. I never know when a good hiking opportunity will present itself!

I'm going for all of the OUT THERE badges, too! But as you can tell, I jumped the gun and skipped to the out there'n 'sted a preparin'.

Good luck on your search for OUT THERE goodies!

Farmgirl Sister #554
Go to Top of Page

C.W.
True Blue Farmgirl

101 Posts

Chelsea
Prosser WA
USA
101 Posts

Posted - May 08 2009 :  2:47:37 PM  Show Profile
Cord can also come into use for hanging your food, or anything else that might attract animals such as bears. It is wise suspend such 'smelly' items a good ways away from wherever you plan on sleeping that evening.
Go to Top of Page

JojoNH
True Blue Farmgirl

1984 Posts

Joanna
Dunbarton New Hampshire
USA
1984 Posts

Posted - May 08 2009 :  3:50:08 PM  Show Profile
I have a small red backpack that goes with me on all wilderness trips.
We snowmobile into the mountains and it is a very long walk back if you break down, so having the pack with all the survival gear in one location is a must.

Depending on how deep into the wilderness you are planning on going, there is an emergency beacon that you can carry as well. In the event of a serious emergency, you set it off and stay put. . . the rangers will find you and provide first aid. ( one saved a snowmobiler's life this past winter)

Also, one other note, You should clean out your emergency supplies and replace with fresh ones at least once a year. Nothing worse than an old band aid that has been kicking around for way to long

Joanna #566
JojoNH

http://www.CountryCents.com
http://CountryCents.Blogspot.com
http://Twitter.com/Eastwooddesigns
Go to Top of Page
  Outpost: Previous Topic Beginner MJ "out there" badge question Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page