palmettogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

571 Posts

sue
camden south carolina
USA
571 Posts

Posted - May 01 2009 :  06:16:18 AM  Show Profile
i grew up with a gas stove. then for most of my life i had electric, first the coils and then the glass flat-top. i'm designing a new kitchen and am really having a hard time deciding which to get.....i cooked on the gas stove so long ago that i don't remember the pros and cons. please give me some opinions!! thanks!

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - May 01 2009 :  06:24:45 AM  Show Profile
Well I like both. But if you have small children, an open flame isn't always a good thing. The other thing to consider is, if there is a power outage you can still use a gas stove. I HAVE A GLASS TOP ELECTRIC NOW, but when we lost power for nine days a few years ago I was wishing it was gas.

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - May 01 2009 :  07:58:51 AM  Show Profile
I grew up with electric - had both coil and flattop. I married into :) gas and absolutly love it and would never go back. ANy serious cook or chef will tell you that gas is the way to go. You have much better control over the temperature of the burners. Also keep in mund that only the cook top will work if the power goes out(you will have to ignite with a match) but the oven will have electric components and wont work without power.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - May 01 2009 :  07:59:56 AM  Show Profile
I really do love my gas stove. There are two cons--mine has difficult to clean iron grates, and our gas company keeps increasing our gas prices (we also have a gas furnace, gas water heater, etc...). But other than that, I wouldn't trade it for anything.

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - May 01 2009 :  08:22:35 AM  Show Profile
I've always had a gas stove and I would never want to switch to electric. I like being able to see exactly how high I've got the heat, and I think an open flame is actually safer. You can SEE that it's on, no danger of setting something down on a burner that you thought was turned off.

I'm not sure if all gas stoves work in a power outage. My parents stove had a pilot light for the burners and another pilot light for the oven, but my current stove has electric ignition for both.
Go to Top of Page

JessieMae
True Blue Farmgirl

702 Posts

Jessie
Raleigh North Carolina
USA
702 Posts

Posted - May 01 2009 :  08:29:00 AM  Show Profile
The only time I've had a gas stove (in an apartment I lived in before I got married) I somehow turned the gas on a burner on without igniting it. I went out somewhere and when I got home, the whole apartment was filled with gas. I was lucky I didn't blow up the whole complex!
I'll admit I liked cooking with gas much better than electric, but because of this accident, I'm scared to death of having gas appliances.

Jessie Mae
Farmgirl Sisterhood #134
Go to Top of Page

City_Chick
True Blue Farmgirl

509 Posts

Christina
Omaha Nebraska
USA
509 Posts

Posted - May 01 2009 :  08:37:11 AM  Show Profile
I have a stove that has a gas cooktop/range and a small upper oven and a large convection one on the bottm. I have owned both electric and gas but I have to say I love cooking on a gas flame way better than electric any day. My biggest con for owning electric is that I have know a few people who have had fires start when stuff has been sat on the coils and 2 even when they set something on a flat top. Sometimes even when they are off they stay hot for a while. Now that is not to say that I didn't lean over my stove the other day and smell my polar fleece jacket singe. Of course I usually have an apron on so that never has happened before. My second choice to gas would have to be over an open flame or in a dutch oven though. I always ask to have a wood burner installed in the basement so I can play on it.

Christina
Farmgirl Sister #195
City Chick & Friends Chapter Mama
http://justacitychick.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

MarySueK
True Blue Farmgirl

96 Posts

Susan
Richland WA
96 Posts

Posted - May 01 2009 :  3:06:59 PM  Show Profile
I like the gas stoves better but the stove top is harder to clean. So I guess you have to decide if you are more of a cleaning fanatic or a cooking fanatic.
Sue in Richland WA
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - May 01 2009 :  5:55:26 PM  Show Profile
I like the cooking with gas better, but I can't stand the cleaning. PLUS mine is so bad it spits this orange colored gas (glue!) on every thing, and every thing in the kitchen has this thick layer of orange goo on it!

As soon as I can afford a new stove, I'm getting electric and never going back to gas. I can't stand this goo! It's industrial strength and won't come off things for anything. I've tried every thing to get it off, worked for hours on one item, back hurting and still orange goo layer! It's disgusting!

I grew up with electric and was always fine with it. I could tell when it was on, because the coil was red. :) When it was off, the coil was black/gray.

I was quite honestly afraid when I had to get gas when I moved to this apartment as it was required. But, it came pretty easy to learning how to use it, and I must admit I love the right away it's hot and things like that. But, I really can't stand this goo. It's not worth it to me.

I'm going back to electric as soon as possible.

However, I've heard a lot of bad about the ceramic tops, so I probably won't get one. I always had OLD antiques! I am not kidding. They are considered antiques and can't even be found any more! lol Electric stoves. I want one again!

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

5 acre Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1007 Posts

~~~*Terri*~~~
WA.
USA
1007 Posts

Posted - May 02 2009 :  7:09:09 PM  Show Profile
Everyone has their own opinion...I have gas right now, I also bake fo the Farmers Market, and I love the way it bakes,,,,moist...
Electric is dry(in my oipinion)...and does not do as well....
I will probably have gas as long as I can...
Our Grandsweeties, they have learned not to touch it, just like a electric...

Farmgirl Sister #368
"It is most common for man to value most what has least worth."
My Farm and Garden blog....
http://blogonthefarmandgarden.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

sonshine4u
Chapter Guru

1205 Posts

April
New Prague MN
USA
1205 Posts

Posted - May 03 2009 :  2:46:54 PM  Show Profile
We have gas in our current home and besides clean up, I love it! Today for example, our power was out for an hour, but never fear, I could light my gas stove up and make oatmeal for the kids this morning. It does have an electric ignitor, but when the power is out, you just use an old fashioned match.

Now as far as clean up, my father-in-law has a really nice stove that is way easier to clean than mine. I think the higher end stoves have cast iron grates and stainless steel drip pans that are far easier to clean up than the cheaper models. I dream of his gas stove...

Cooking on gas is far superior in my opinion (even though I did grow up with electric). I find that I can control the temperatures a lot better than with electric!

If you are designing your dream kitchen...go with the higher end with the cast iron and stainless steel...it'll last longer anyway! Happy planning!

Playing in the Sonshine
http://www.homesteadblogger.com/sonshine4u
Go to Top of Page

mulegirl
True Blue Farmgirl

184 Posts

rosemary
cottonwood pass co
USA
184 Posts

Posted - May 03 2009 :  5:02:19 PM  Show Profile
gas, preferably natural. definitly!! so much more controll.
Rosemary

smile, follow your heart and don't look back
http://web.mac.com/rosemaryart
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - May 03 2009 :  6:12:36 PM  Show Profile
I have electric right now but am getting ready to switch to gas. First off - I am tired of replacing canning burners which are $100+ and I have to do that about every three years. Yes, I have a special heavy-duty canning burner and I still manage to use them up. Second thing to look at with electric is that I was advised by my supplier that you can't can on solid electric burners without risking cracks to the burner - same with the flat tops --too much heat deflection from the big pressure canner for them to handle. I don't know if that is true but my appliance supplier (I designed Kitchen & Baths for years) claimed it. Sooo if things are ever calm enough around here to rip my kitchen out I will be putting in gas (I already have a 5 burner cook top and 36" hood waiting in the wings). In the meantime my canning burner may or may not limp through another season.

Sheri
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 03 2009 :  7:53:31 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
We had gas at the old place and we loved it for cooking and baking. I miss it. The only thing I wish it has was some sort of childproof knobs. Like a push in this button before and while turning to ignite or change gas height. With a toddler in the house she was always trying to fiddle with the knobs.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

kissmekate
True Blue Farmgirl

890 Posts

Kate
Delano Minnesota
890 Posts

Posted - May 03 2009 :  8:29:57 PM  Show Profile
I have electric and hate it. I could pay an arm and a leg to have gas routed up to the kitchen, but I'll save my money instead.

Don't miss out on a blessing, just because it isn't packaged the way you expected. ~MaryJo Copeland
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - May 04 2009 :  03:22:50 AM  Show Profile
Gas for sure!

I'm spoiled having instant heat.

And yes, the tops are a pain to clean, but I hate electric. Takes too long to heat up.

If small kids are involved, remove the knobs

I have also left a burner on and thankfully didn't burn myself and have left a burner on with no flame.

It is kind of scary, but nothing opening a few windows can't remedy.

The gas stove that used to be in an apartment in Claifornia WAS scary. You'd turn the piolet on for the oven part, then wait a second or two for the oven door to flap open when the falme caught. Wa-boom

And be careful of the units that have electric starters. With loss of power you will still be out of business.
Go to Top of Page

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - May 04 2009 :  04:11:32 AM  Show Profile
Grew up with gas. Then we moved and had electric for a long time. Am now back to gas. LOVE it, it is quicker etc. My cooking is done by gas, the oven is electric.
If I have anything to say in it :) I will never go back to electric cooking.

Hugs from Marian/Dutchy, a farmgirl from the Netherlands :)

My personal blog:
http://just-me-a-dutch-girl.blogspot.com/

Almost daily updates on me and mine :)
Go to Top of Page

palmettogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

571 Posts

sue
camden south carolina
USA
571 Posts

Posted - May 04 2009 :  06:02:41 AM  Show Profile
i really appreciate everyone's input.....thank you so much; it was over-whelming to go for a gas stove and i will do that. i also learned a lot.....and it sounds like it definitely pays to spend a little more money and get a better quality/(hopefully)easier to clean model. and now.....to start my search!! i am so excited about this new kitchen..... again, thanks everyone!! sue
Go to Top of Page

Farmers Daughter
True Blue Farmgirl

90 Posts

DiAnn

90 Posts

Posted - May 04 2009 :  11:03:24 AM  Show Profile
I grew up with gas and have always use a gas stove. My in laws have electric and could never get use to it. No to say it doesn't work, but once shut off its still hot. Can't tell you how many time while over at their house how many time I turned something off and turned to do something else and it was boiling over. I like the control with a gas stove.
As far as cleaning when I was looking for my stove, I had it in my mind I was going to get sealed burner thought that would be great. But after a 2 year search and much back and fourth, I ended up not getting sealed burners.
The man that had worked with me to help me make my decision, told me it is all a matter of how you want to do your cleaning.
Do you want to be standing by the stove and scraping and wiping spills up there with a sealed burner of do you want to be able to take it all apart and do it in the sink or dishwasher.

Good luck in your search.
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic gas or electric stove? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page