Mother Hen
True Blue Farmgirl

604 Posts

Cindy
Peck ID
USA
604 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2009 :  8:25:48 PM  Show Profile
Today DH, DD, and I went to town to sell some cattle at the livestock auction. Well it was a huge auction today where they had everything being sold. We came home with 2 horses.
Some of you may remember I was looking for a horse because the one I had before was too smart for me. I'm a novice rider beginning late in life.
Well, DH bought me a nice old mare(even though he didn't want any more mares) and he bought DD an old gelding. Both of them were supposedly from a place where you go and pay to ride up by Coeur d'Alene (resort area).
They have great dispositions so far. We haven't been on them yet(they were rode in the auction ring) as you can see their ribs a bit. When we unloaded them at home they were so excited to see green grass that they ate for 1 hour nearly non-stop. I really hope they work out for us as DD has been wanting to go riding together for quite a while now, about 3 years.
My heart was probably weakend also by the "60 dead horses" story that was posted here, I went and read the article.
Well, the price was good, the statements about them were also, so now, we'll just have to wait and see if we made out or not.

Cindy

FARMGIRLS CAN DO ANYTHING!!!

I will bless the Lord at all times: his praise shall continually be in my mouth. Psalms 34:1

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2009 :  8:37:43 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Cindy- Just be careful with a horse that hasn't been on fresh grass for a while. If they eat too much all at once they can founder from the high sugar load in grass. Here is a great article that explains it all:
http://www.horsecity.com/stories/071403/hea_grassfounder_HB.shtml

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com

Edited by - Alee on Apr 29 2009 8:38:11 PM
Go to Top of Page

twzlrwho
True Blue Farmgirl

199 Posts

christina
dewitt va
USA
199 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2009 :  05:40:39 AM  Show Profile
Congrats! Your story about them being used for trail rides takes me back to my honeymoon. How romantic, riding off into the sunset. I know they are just as happy you brought them home as you are. Have fun! HUGS

Christina

Work like you don't have to, love like you've never been hurt, and dance like nobody is watching :)
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2009 :  06:03:24 AM  Show Profile
I am so happy for you and those horses. Sounds like they will have a great new home. That's the kind of horse I want if I ever get another one. Very old! Have fun with them.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2009 :  06:53:46 AM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Hey Cindy,
How awesome, I know that you are such a cowgirl so this has to put you over the moon! Send pictures!

Rene~Prosser Farmgirl #185
http://farmchicksfarm.blogspot.com/http://renenaturallyspeaking.blogspot.com/

Circumstances made us FRIENDS; MaryJane's has made us SISTERS :)
Go to Top of Page

Faransgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

895 Posts

Beth
Houston Texas
USA
895 Posts

Posted - May 29 2009 :  9:48:30 PM  Show Profile
Congrats on your horses. They should pick up weight fast with regular feeding. If you see they don't get their teeth floated. We always check that as quickly as possible when the new skinnies come in. Mares can be great horses. I have a 21 year old mare that has been a lesson horse for 17 years. I wouldn't trade her for the world.

May the force of the Horse be with you.
Go to Top of Page

Mother Hen
True Blue Farmgirl

604 Posts

Cindy
Peck ID
USA
604 Posts

Posted - May 30 2009 :  6:27:02 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Beth, and welcome.
They have picked up weight just fine and look much better now.
I had a farrier out to look at my horses foot as she seemed to stumble a bit when I would ride her(walking). It seems she has ring bone. My DH spoke with the farrier and I'll have to have him back in mid June to check on her again. I haven't ridden her since the farrier was out last week, just nervous a bit on my part.

Cindy

I will bless the Lord at all times: his praise shall continually be in my mouth. Psalms 34:1
Go to Top of Page

goneriding
True Blue Farmgirl

1599 Posts

Winona
Central Oregon
USA
1599 Posts

Posted - May 31 2009 :  07:15:29 AM  Show Profile
There you go! I loff rescues, which is basically what you did! Agree with Alee, be careful of too much grass at once if they aren't used to it. Slow and easy. Too bad about the ringbone but depending on the severity, it can be managed.

Winona :-)

To read funny stories about my cooking 'skills', please visit http://lostadventuresincooking.blogspot.com/

For uber-opinionated, pleasurable horse related reading, please visit http://horseinfoperson.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

Mother Hen
True Blue Farmgirl

604 Posts

Cindy
Peck ID
USA
604 Posts

Posted - May 31 2009 :  8:45:03 PM  Show Profile
My DD and I rode about 3 hours this morning. We even got to try to round up the cows in the upper field. We didn't do real great since we aren't on cow horses but rather trail horses. I'm sure this was their first time in the same pasture with cows. DH finally got on DD's horse and he and I went after them after DD and I managed to scatter them around the hill. My horse has trouble going down hill due to that ringbone issue, but all in all I'd say she did pretty good.

I think Patsy(my horse) is somewhat of an actress too. If we are headed away from her pasture going down hill, she "puts on the dog" and limps kind of. But, if we are going down hill back towards her pasture she is okay and not limping. Not so sure how much is psycho-somatic vs. real discomfort.

She is definitely the horse I had been wanting. We walk a lot, and she will canter a small distance if DD's horse is too far away or if they canter. I'm so tickled to have her. She is a good match for me.

Cindy

Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic I got a "new" old horse Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page