Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Here's to Your Health
 Finding a Cure for cancer
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Finding a Cure for cancer Next Topic  

StarMeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

940 Posts

T
MI
940 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2009 :  7:24:38 PM  Show Profile
I'm a little excited tonight. I just finished our kick-off for our 2nd Annual Relay for Life in our small town. We raised 53,000$ for the American Cancer Society last year and this year we are shooting for $57,000. This year, I'm going to be our school's Team Captain.

I've been looking for a way to help and I think this is a good thing. My folks and my husband's folks all passed from lung cancer (my Mom and his Mom a week a part...) and I was a primary care-giver for all of them, and "lucky" enough to be present in their passing. Both of my grandfather's passed from lung cancer too. I've lost a couple of friends/colleagues to other types of cancer as well. Last year a dear friend was diagnosed and after a rough road of treatment is currently on the five-year-plan of testing to reach "cancer free".

So for our relay last year, despite my arthritis and blown back, I managed to walk 17 miles over the 24 hours I was at the relay. I don't know how many miles I clocked just doing things that needed doing though. This year I'm shooting for 20. It's an amazing thing to walk the track at 3am in the brisk (and I mean brisk) cold, watching Orion rise until the dawn. The glow of the luminaries around the track is warm and hopeful. My folks "bag" was on one side and my hubbie's on the other. So half way around each lap, I could see that little tribute and gather a bit of peace and strength.

I know there are hundreds of relays around the country...if there is one near you, I encourage you to participate...you won't regret it.

RuralSuburbia
True Blue Farmgirl

251 Posts

Leslie
Northern CA
USA
251 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2009 :  08:58:41 AM  Show Profile
I have conflicting thoughts about Relay For Life. I AM a cancer survivor, I've walked the Survivor's Lap, I've been on teams, I've raised plenty of money. I even had fun a couple of times. It's very humbling to see a bag with my name on it while I walk the track. Twilight and sunrise were amazing times out there.
I had to stop being a part of Relay for Life. Too many friends have passed away from cancer. Even the Chairwoman for our town chapter lost her life finally, to this horrible thing. Every year I participated, more people I knew had died. It really made me question WHY and WHERE is all the money going to? Too many T-shirts, too many 'prizes', too many awards. I decided to get the low-down from an official. Here's what I got:

The money ends up in the pockets of the people at the top. It goes to the Directors, it goes to the head honchos in Washington. It DOES NOT go to research. It goes to creating surveys to send to cancer survivors, in order to find out how to best help them in their suffering. Some of the questions on the surveys are regarding the individual's sex drive, their
self image, horrible things to prey on in my opinion. I was told point blank NONE OF THE MONIES RAISED ACTUALLY GOES INTO RESEARCH.

Instead of participating in the Relay For Life, I personally would rather donate money to my local cancer hospital. THAT'S where people go to be treated, THAT'S where new meds, newer machines, and Doctors with a passion will most benefit those going thru treatment or surgeries.

I hate to be a downer~just sharing my experience and 2-cents.

I have a star in my eye for a reason~~I HAD CANCER AND I'M NEVER LOOKING BACK!

*I've got stars in my eyes and exactly $1 in my pocket!*

Edited by - RuralSuburbia on Apr 29 2009 09:02:07 AM
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2009 :  2:50:00 PM  Show Profile
I have not been involved in Relay for Life but have done the Race for the Cure. I have been approached to help with the local Relay for Life and was concerned about where the money goes. I Googled it and got this info. http://www.relayforlife.org/relay/wheremoneygoes

Handmade Soap & Lotion Bars http://www.therusticcottagebath.com

The Rustic Cottage Blog http://therusticcottage.blogspot.com

Edited by - therusticcottage on Apr 29 2009 2:52:23 PM
Go to Top of Page

StarMeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

940 Posts

T
MI
940 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2009 :  04:55:41 AM  Show Profile
Anyone else out there have data that is not hear-say or from the RFL website? I'd love that info.
Go to Top of Page

Lainey
True Blue Farmgirl

2401 Posts

Elaine
Waco Kentucky
USA
2401 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2009 :  09:11:12 AM  Show Profile
Wow, I didn't know this or even suspect it. After my step-grandfather passed away from lung cancer my best friend and I walked in the RFL in memory of him and others in our families. Now that in the past year both she and I found out we have cancer I was hoping that we could do it again together. I would hope that the funds are being distributed to where they can do the most good. This concerns me a bit.

Farmgirl Sister #25

http://countrygirldreams.blogspot.com/

An Angel says, 'Never borrow from the future. If you worry about what may happen tomorrow and it doesn't happen, you have worried in vain. Even if it does happen, you have to worry twice.'
Go to Top of Page

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2009 :  7:45:19 PM  Show Profile
This is the site for the Relay for Life, part of the American Cancer Society. Please take a look so you that you can make your best opinion. :) They do a lot of good work in raising money for the American Cancer Society, but that is for you to decide. :D
Hope it helps with questions you might have had.
hugs

Jessie
Farmgirl Sister #235

"You are my strength when I am weak. You are the treasure that I seek. You are my all in all. Seeking You as a precious jewel; Lord, to give up I'd be a fool. You are my all in all."

Stop by my blog for a visit www.messiejessie2.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

shabbyms
True Blue Farmgirl

157 Posts

Cheryle
Naperville IL
USA
157 Posts

Posted - May 02 2009 :  10:16:56 AM  Show Profile
My Dad used to do talk radio in LA when my bonus mom Terry was dianosed with Ovarain Cancer I was here primary caregiver for an extended period of time.
We completed both tradional and non-tradional types of treatment One of them being a Holistic Hospital in Mexico. There are plenty of folks who ask me why I do not complete walks or attend fund raisers and I will tell you that you each and all must complete your own research and do what your heart tells you to do.I would tell you to try really talking to someone with Cancer. Now to be honest the first time I did it was really hard.
It is the person who needs the money not the organization. It is the person who needs the time that you are giving to maybe run some errands or clean thier home, garden, make a meal or do some laundry. The person who is sick, and they just may be afraid, worn out, poked by strangers, frustrated by insurance bills, intimated at the pharmacy, and to top it all off thier hair starts to fall out.
You can give your time, or your talent, your encouragment by your kind words, your kind touch your thoughfulness by showing up when you know they will be gone and weeding or even just washing the windows.
Times are tough and not everyone has money to give these days.
Terry produced my dads talk radio show so although she was only given 3 weeks she lived about 3 good years and during that time we talked to alot of people and asked alot of questions.
When it comes to end of life issues here is what I found. When I asked someone what I could do for them towards the end of their life here is what they said:They want to know that thier loved ones will be happy and taken care of first and foremost. Secondly, they want to know that they won't be forgotten when they are gone.
So thats what I try do to...take care of the deceased loved ones in that first difficult year and figure out a living memory for each family.
Now keep in mind when I attend a funeral and I read that in lieu of flowers I am asked to make a donation to a Cancer fund that is what I do...because that is what the person has asked for.
But after talking with so many dying people and always getting the same answers here is what I do: I always call on Wedding Anniversary's and for the first year try to provide meals as often as the family will allow. I drop off a memory tree's with an engraved plate about a month after a funeral (instead of flowers if a $$donation has not requested) so as it grows its a living reminder of thier loved one.
When you actually talk to someone with Cancer not once and I mean never not in one conversation did one walk or fundraisier ever come up in any conversation. So I tell you to please just listen to your heart. If it tells you to walk or run...paint your shoes pink and walk or run! I think that there are plenty of good places that really raise money that is used for research and given to the people who need it most with little overhead. Insurance does not cover everything. Familys can be left with huge finaical bills and Funerals are expensive and many females do not have life insurance or have small policies because they do not work out side of the home.
But do your research on anyone that you are going to give to time talent or money to as well. We all heard to news stories of all kinds of untrustworthly people who have taken advantage of one another.
For me I choose to pay it forward. Terry was always so touched by the simple acts of kindness that some many folks showered towards our family and I do mean all of us since Cancer affects the whole family. I'll never forget the day we came home from a day of a doctors visit in the morning and a "treatment" in the afternoon. We had sunk into the couch after putting in a frozen casserole in the oven when we realized that someone had clean the sliding glass doors...both of them. Then I looked at and the kitchen windows had been cleaned too! We went from room to room and looked at all of the window and lo and behold someone had come by and cleaned all of the windows for the entire house! So if you have had cancer you know that many days all you can do is look out your windows...you are so sick you can't leave your bed let alone the house. This was such a beautiful and kind gift and we never found out who did it! So loving memory of my bonus mom Terry I gift my time and my talent to a dying person knowing that they are the most meanful gifts I can give.

Passive people do not lead passionate lives.
Go to Top of Page

yarnmamma
True Blue Farmgirl

4247 Posts

Linda
Clarks Summit PA
USA
4247 Posts

Posted - May 02 2009 :  10:59:17 AM  Show Profile  Send yarnmamma a Yahoo! Message
wow....praise God
what powerful and loving real-life experiences all of you are sharing. I am touched beyond words.
I had the wonderful priviledge of being with my step-mom while she was dying. She actually died 2 weeks after I went back home (the other end of the country.)
I chose to go to say good bye to her and cherise being with her near the end instead of going to a big funeral where she would not be there alive.
I stood with tears streaming down my face with loving joy at hearing a young man come to her room and sing just for her. He and the friend who joined him came to the door with big bibles and I didn't want to let them in because I thought they were there to "preach". My sister said to let them in and they came before to see our mom and she wanted them. We heard no preaching or sales pitch for their religion but they were there just to bless her with a song. I think it was one of the most beautiful experience I have had. The love and care that surrounded her was indescribable. I have a lovely picture I took of my sister (only 25 yrs old at the time) sleeping while hugging the baby monitor so she could hear any noise her mom made. She did not get up one night to give her pain meds and our mom told her that a nice lady all dressed in white came to give it to her while we all slept. Michelle, my sister believes it had to be an angel.
Thanks for causing me to remember this today!

Linda
in Scranton, PA
farmgirl #71

Edited by - yarnmamma on May 02 2009 11:00:48 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Finding a Cure for cancer Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page