Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - May 07 2009 :  07:51:16 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
When I get back to Idaho in a couple of weeks, there is a back road that I love. It has huge cedar trees and big ferns growing right up to the bottom boughs of the cedars. It looks like some primordial forest or maybe something you would see in a rain forest! I love it!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Miss2Missus
True Blue Farmgirl

407 Posts

Karen
Asheville NC
USA
407 Posts

Posted - May 07 2009 :  5:09:09 PM  Show Profile
Alee I'm glad to know that i'm not the only one who is dreaming of driving down the roads i'm not near. literally some nights i do dream about them.

Karen ^_^

http://apple-and-eve.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - May 07 2009 :  6:42:06 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I totally understand, Karen! I love driving the back roads. It really helps me find my center. Just getting out and away from the noise- (mental and physical). I really miss some of my hometown backroads too!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Miss2Missus
True Blue Farmgirl

407 Posts

Karen
Asheville NC
USA
407 Posts

Posted - May 07 2009 :  6:53:27 PM  Show Profile
sometimes after a harsh day at work i get in my car and really look forward to driving down a certin road or two then as i leave the parking lot i realize those roads are about 450 miles away :(

Karen ^_^

http://apple-and-eve.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - May 07 2009 :  7:42:32 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Yup! Same here!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

marylucille
Farmgirl in Training

22 Posts

Mary
White Heath IL
USA
22 Posts

Posted - May 22 2009 :  05:46:47 AM  Show Profile
Nice! You could have been describing the County Farm out here. It had exactly the same history, with the same kind of architecture. I used to drive past and dream about buying the place and making some kind of community center. I was shocked when I read in the paper a few months back that the person who owned it had quietly burned it to the ground. Now I wish instead of dreaming, I had worked to get it preserved as a historical monument.

Walk in Beauty; Work in Peace; Blessed Be.
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - May 22 2009 :  06:11:18 AM  Show Profile
Mary,
I know... I keep wondering what I can do to preserve it's history. Its in shambles. I can't even imagine the cost to repair. the windows! There are hundreds of em!

Dawn #279
MJ's Heirloom Mavens-QMD
http://harvestthyme.blogspot.com
~live big, ride hard, and shoot straight~
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - May 22 2009 :  07:18:38 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Dawn you should talk to your local historic preservation society. Sometimes you can get government loans and grants to do projects like that.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

electricdunce
True Blue Farmgirl

2544 Posts

Karin
Belmont ME
USA
2544 Posts

Posted - May 22 2009 :  08:54:36 AM  Show Profile
The leaves have finally arrived here, they are not all leafed out, but we took a ramble yesterday down the backroads that have the "tunnel of trees".
Nothing is more luscious than when tyhe leaves come out and form canopies over the roads, the colors are so breathtaking. Sun's out today, we may have to take another ramble. When I first moved home to maine after a few years in Arizona I spend the first two weeks just driving around admiring the fall leaves , best time of year. Right now I keep spying litlle patches of forgetmenots, I've got to scatter some seeds in my yard, winter was pretty brutal to my perennials.
Have you read Blue Highways by William Least Moon, it is a wonderful book about his travels on the backroads of America. An older book, but very enjoyable reading. I highly recommend it!
Karin

Farmgirl Sister #153

"Give me shelter from the storm" - Bob Dylan
http://moodranch.blogspot.com
http://domesticnonsense.etsy.com

Edited by - electricdunce on May 22 2009 08:56:56 AM
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - May 22 2009 :  09:03:32 AM  Show Profile
Ahh, that sounds soooo nice! We have a local tv station that used to have a gentleman that would go all over Ohio and find these neat little out of the way places to visit, eat shop... I can't remember his name, but there are like 6 books that he compiled prior to retiring.....Neil Zurker. Thats it! But I will definitely check out that book as well. That just might be my summer read this year!

Dawn #279
MJ's Heirloom Mavens-QMD
http://harvestthyme.blogspot.com
~live big, ride hard, and shoot straight~
Go to Top of Page

paintnpencils
Farmgirl in Training

31 Posts

jessica
glen rock pa
USA
31 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2009 :  6:51:24 PM  Show Profile
I love driving the backroads, Sometimes on my way home from work on my way to pick up my daughter from daycare I will take the long way or the stone roads, but the day befor yesterday I HAD to take the backroads home, because we got a flash flood, hailing thunder and lightning storm that just hovered over one small part of the county and it washed out some main roads, and there were a few people who had to be rescued from thier houses by boat! So it does pay off to know all the alternate back roads around. and of all the days my dad could have picked to ride his motorcycle! he was soaking wet and had to dump the water out of his shoes. at least he didn't get hit with the hail he found a place to wait out the worst parts of the storm.

each day is a new oportunity to create,improve, expand, and share.
Go to Top of Page

Miss2Missus
True Blue Farmgirl

407 Posts

Karen
Asheville NC
USA
407 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2010 :  10:01:19 AM  Show Profile
hey im glad i found this thread again. someone showed me this site about abandon buildings and i thought i would post here. if some already has sorry.

http://www.opacity.us/

Karen ^_^

http://frommisstomissus.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary Fox
Farmgirl at Heart

5 Posts

Rosemary
Ewa Beach Hawaii
USA
5 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2010 :  12:27:11 PM  Show Profile
Hi Deeredawn...I am new to the forum as of today...liv way out here in Hawaii...hope soon to be on the mainland though. I love your story of the "poor farm"...I happened upon a place much like that here on Oahu a few years back. Only my place had been a home for wayward boys. I don't know if you are familiar with EVP (electronic voice phenomenon), but the next time you are out that way, you might see fit to bring along a little digital voice recorder. Get as quiet as you can and turn the recorder on. Ask some questions...give space for an answer...sometimes you can find some folks that are still lingering...pretty amazing. Aloha!

Love is the overwhelming desire to bring life into every situation...
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Keeping in Touch: Previous Topic Taking the backroads... Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page