Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Ewwwwwwwwwwwww !!!!!!! Next Topic  

Especially For You
True Blue Farmgirl

541 Posts

Tina
Watkinsville GA
541 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2009 :  11:34:18 AM  Show Profile
Saw my first snake slither across the road just a bit ago!!! Guess it is time to start watching out where I stick my hands and feet!!!

I HATE SNAKES!!!!!!

Tina
Farmgirl#455

AuntPammy
True Blue Farmgirl

488 Posts

Pamila
williamstown wv
USA
488 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2009 :  11:38:22 AM  Show Profile  Click to see AuntPammy's MSN Messenger address
Yikes!!! I hate snakes too. Really any kind if reptile just gives me the heeby-jeebies. I swear after reading your entry, I have goose bumps. Yuck. You take care and watch your step. Blessings, Pam

"Keep your face to the sunshine and you will never see the shadow." Helen Keller

www.auntpsalmostheaven.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2009 :  11:41:39 AM  Show Profile
I killed the first snake of the season about 2 weeks ago. He was a little thing but they can hurt you just like a big one. Of course everyone tells me they are not poison but they sure can cause you to fall and hurt yourself. I am not exactly afraid of them, I just want to see him first.
Go to Top of Page

AuntPammy
True Blue Farmgirl

488 Posts

Pamila
williamstown wv
USA
488 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2009 :  11:48:44 AM  Show Profile  Click to see AuntPammy's MSN Messenger address
Belle, you are so brave.I agree about the falling part, I know I would fall from fainting.lol

"Keep your face to the sunshine and you will never see the shadow." Helen Keller

www.auntpsalmostheaven.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Merry
True Blue Farmgirl

765 Posts

Merry
Ankeny Iowa
USA
765 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2009 :  12:25:32 PM  Show Profile
Snakes I can handle, I hate spiders!

http://afarminmyheart.blogspot.com/

"Nobody has ever measured, not even poets how much the heart can hold."
Zelda Fitzgerald
Go to Top of Page

LauriP
True Blue Farmgirl

239 Posts

Laurianne
Hertford North Carolina
USA
239 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2009 :  1:36:38 PM  Show Profile
~~ ~~ Ok..I gotta admit..

Snakes really don't bother me. But -- as long as their just the garden snakes, or a black snake, those eat all them little critters in the garden. Black snakes rid the perimeter of the house of mice, moles, gophers...you get the picture.

Some spiders are actually pretty cool -- "Wolf Spider" -- (Can't remember it's latin name..) is another type that just cruises around the ceiling of our cabin..it too rids the house of some of those weird teeny flies and fleas. I'm all happy about seein' a wolf spider way up on the walls.

We also have a tremendous spider that turns an incredible gold in the fall -- unbelievable color on it. It too, rids the gardens of certain teeny weevils, fleas, all them bad guys.

Now if I could rid the yard of some of the drunk neighbors who insist on Driving Their Cars down our road...hmph!

Laurianne
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2009 :  1:37:52 PM  Show Profile
Then dont go lookin at my blog..... hee hee. I will "relocate" that stinker!

Dawn #279
MJ's Heirloom Mavens-QMD
http://harvestthymefarm.etsy.com
http://harvestthyme.blogspot.com
~live big, ride hard, and shoot straight~
Go to Top of Page

electricdunce
True Blue Farmgirl

2544 Posts

Karin
Belmont ME
USA
2544 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2009 :  2:22:16 PM  Show Profile
I like snakes. Of course we don't have any poisonous ones in Maine. When I lived in Arizona for a while, that was far more exciting when it came to snakes, but I always enjoyed seeing them, as long as they stay outside the house.

Karin

Farmgirl Sister #153

"Give me shelter from the storm" - Bob Dylan
http://moodranch.blogspot.com
http://domesticnonsense.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

mulegirl
True Blue Farmgirl

184 Posts

rosemary
cottonwood pass co
USA
184 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2009 :  3:26:20 PM  Show Profile
I too hate the element of surprise with snakes. They make my heart jump, but we're lucky, too, no poisonous ones here, just garter snakes. A creepy story... I had a snake in my suitcase, and after Ii described it to the ranger he said it was probably a very posionous brown mamba, this was in my open thatched "room" in Africa. I carefully shook everything in my suitcase, closed it up tight and did not get a wink of sleep for the rest of the stay at that place. Gives me the hebe jebees.
r

smile, follow your heart and don't look back
http://web.mac.com/rosemaryart
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2009 :  4:09:19 PM  Show Profile
Ok Merry, you'll cringe at this one!

Hubby put his slop boots on the evening then called me outsdie quick!

There in the grass was the biggest wolf spider I have seen in a while!

It was in the toe of his boot.

i'm just glad it wasn't me and that he had socks on.

Still, rather a spider or snake. It's the big HUGE roaches that give me the heebie-geebies
Go to Top of Page

mommatracy
True Blue Farmgirl

490 Posts

Tracy
My. Olive NC
USA
490 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2009 :  4:28:18 PM  Show Profile
10 years ago I was sewing late one night,moved my bare foot to get up as I was holding on to a drapery panel, felt something strange...looked down and it was a snake about 3ft. long! I swear,I screamed like a crazy person and literally jumped up and landed on the desk next to me. I was home alone and freakin out. I grabbed the vacuum cleaner that I had left out and started banging the snake on the head. I stunned him and then took two of those old timey irons I had and while holding it down with the vacuum cleaner I was banging the snake in the head. I left the vacuum and the two heavy irons on top of the half dead snake and ran from the room and shut the door. Snake was dead next morning and for the longest time I would check under beds,cabinets,bathroom at night looking for snakes. I had left my door open earlier that day about 12inches to let my little dog run in and out. I guess the snake slithered in at that time.
\In the house we lived in before that I found a snake slithering across my kitchen counter and one in our toilet one night. Both times you would have thought someone was trying to murder me I had such a screaming fit!

www.cottagebythebay.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Merry
True Blue Farmgirl

765 Posts

Merry
Ankeny Iowa
USA
765 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2009 :  4:53:45 PM  Show Profile
Oh Anna,

That's the reason I always buy new garden gloves, cause I just KNOW a spider is waiting for my finger!

When we moved into our house, it was a cold October, our dog comes running in the house with a stick in her mouth, pretty soon the end of stick began slowly moving up and down, it was a frozen snake!!

Zelda Fitzgerald
Go to Top of Page

Diane B Carter
True Blue Farmgirl

1270 Posts

Diane
Blasdell N.Y.
USA
1270 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2009 :  5:01:57 PM  Show Profile
Yuck.. I hate snakes. I only have seen a few in the past few years. One when I was weeding out my flower bed, I left and weeded another garden. My son had a boa, when I found a dead mouse in a brown bag at my front door. I knew it was time to talk to the boys. My son hated giving the snake up. But it was the snake or both of them. I did give him a 2 week notice first.
Thank-God he out grew that stage.

Hope all your days are Sunnydays.
dianebcarterhotmailcom.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

junkjunkie
True Blue Farmgirl

1306 Posts

Judy
Lawrenceville NJ
USA
1306 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2009 :  08:09:35 AM  Show Profile
I don't mind spiders (unless they're especially big and ugly) and garten snakes don't bother me either. Where I live, we don't get the poisonous snakes. I do have spiders in my house....mostly the teeny ones, but also wolf spiders. At first I was creeped out by them, but I don't mind them. The wolf spiders I try to capture and release outside. I have a short story about snakes. A few years ago, I had to go to a training course in Florida for my job. In the classroom, I noticed a small snake coiled in a corner. I mentioned it to the instructor and it turned out to be a baby rattle snake. They're just as deadly as the adult snakes. I was wearing sandals and thought....boy, if that little snake bit me! A little scary!

"To have life in focus, we must have death in our field of vision." Benedictine monk John Main
Go to Top of Page

paradiseplantation
True Blue Farmgirl

1277 Posts

julie
social springs community Louisiana
USA
1277 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2009 :  1:45:53 PM  Show Profile
Oh, yeah. We ran over a copperhead last week -- don't like them one bit! Spiders aren't so bad -- we usually have a garden spider that makes its home in a corner of our house each year. But snakes? We used to get them in the chicken house and dh would get his little pistol out. Sorry, but I'm not giving up any of my eggs to any snake!!!!!

from the hearts of paradise...
Go to Top of Page

Merry
True Blue Farmgirl

765 Posts

Merry
Ankeny Iowa
USA
765 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2009 :  2:01:15 PM  Show Profile
my former boss used to be so afraid of snakes, she would't drive with her windows down because she was afraid someone would throw a snake in the car. Now THAT is afraid! (and a little kooky)

Zelda Fitzgerald
Go to Top of Page

Especially For You
True Blue Farmgirl

541 Posts

Tina
Watkinsville GA
541 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2009 :  3:20:45 PM  Show Profile
Julie,
My DH r
keeps telling me that if I have chickens then most likley we will have oresnakes than we do. I think that he is tell me that so I won't keep after him about them.(chickens that is) I talked to Karin the other day and one day soon I am going over to her house to see her hen house I will build my own!!!!!

Tina
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Ewwwwwwwwwwwww !!!!!!! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page