Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Colors of Corn Next Topic  

jenbove

320 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
320 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2009 :  11:04:20 AM  Show Profile
My husband talked to a man the other day who is a Cherokee healer/shaman. He told a story about traveling somewhere in South America and talking with the native people about corn. He asked an old woman what the differences are in the colors of corn (as far as health properties, etc). The woman told him that blue corn somehow carries toxins out of the body, clarifying the mind. Red corn, she said, brings good "vibes" (my interpretation) into the body. "And what about yellow corn?" he asked. "We feed yellow corn to our chickens," the old woman said. "Because we don't want them to think."

Ha! Make of that what you will...

Jen

GOT A "WILD HAIR"?
COME VISIT MARYJANE'S OUTPOST!

www.maryjanesoutpost.com

Farmgirl Sisterhood Member # 9

My Blog: The View From My Boots
www.bovesboots.blogspot.com

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2009 :  11:54:59 AM  Show Profile
Not sure about the yellow corn fed to the chickens. My chickens eat yellow corn and they are thinking all the time. How will we get out of the pen today?? Always thinking of new ways. About everything with more color has more nutrition so makes sence that blue or red corn would also.
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2009 :  4:16:51 PM  Show Profile
Might be right up there with the white foods. White potatoes, pasta, sugar

It would be like pulling teeth to get hubby to plant something other than the Gold Queen strain. I'm preferential to the Silver Queen, but if I had access to the blue, I would sneak it into the filed just for kicks.

Crossed field and sweet corn and got sweetcorn on steroids! Animals at the zoo loved it!
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2009 :  6:34:23 PM  Show Profile
That's funny Jen - makes you kinda wonder about all that high fructose corn syrup.....
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2009 :  07:29:30 AM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Thanks Jen, that is so great! Very funny, I will write it down! But I am will Belle, I can't imagine what my chickens would be like if they were any smarter.... :)

Rene~Prosser Farmgirl #185
http://farmchicksfarm.blogspot.com/http://renenaturallyspeaking.blogspot.com/

Circumstances made us FRIENDS; MaryJane's has made us SISTERS :)
Go to Top of Page

paradiseplantation
True Blue Farmgirl

1277 Posts

julie
social springs community Louisiana
USA
1277 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2009 :  07:39:21 AM  Show Profile
I loved it, Jen! Thanks for sharing. Hmmm.....I wonder if the yellow corn theory would work on my DH when I want something he doesn't think is necessary. Worth a try!

from the hearts of paradise...
Go to Top of Page

jenbove

320 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
320 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2009 :  11:15:37 AM  Show Profile
Tee-hee! I thought you'd get a kick out of that one. My lovely chicken ladies are quite bright, too. Particularly a little gray Aracauna named Hazel; she has a mind of her own indeed. I feed them a wonderful organic layer ration from Countryside Naturals (www.countrysidenatural.com) that does contain yellow corn...so maybe it's the field peas or the kelp that keeps them so sharp...hmmmm....

Jen

GOT A "WILD HAIR"?

www.maryjanesoutpost.com

Go to Top of Page

sonshine4u
Chapter Guru

1205 Posts

April
New Prague MN
USA
1205 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2009 :  12:09:50 PM  Show Profile
I find this really interesting that they view the different colors as different ways to heal you. I don't know if that is necessarily true, but I do know that all the native corn used to be a great variety of colors until our culture decided we all needed yellow corn. If you want to see a great film about corn, I highly recommend: KING CORN
http://www.kingcorn.net/

You will learn a lot about the current state of Corn production in the US. It's entertaining and educational! I highly recommend it! Go check it out!
Go to Top of Page

jenbove

320 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
320 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2009 :  12:09:43 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for reminding me about King Corn, April. I remember wanting to see it months ago. Corn is an amazing crop - so useful, and yet so potentially destructive (mass monoculture, GMO...)
When it comes to corn chips and things, I am always drawn to the red and blue; are you? Colors are an instinctive cue for us, I think. We know there are good-for-us nutrients in colored foods. Sadly, I suppose that's why artificially colored foods have become so popular. If consumers aren't thinking for themselves, they may actually be duped - on some primal level - into gravitating toward electric blue and neon red, etc...
Last year, we planted "strawberry popcorn", a small heirloom red variety. We only got a few ears, so I saved them for seed & am hoping for a better crop this year. Check it out at http://www.botanicalinterests.com/store/search_results_detail.php?seedtype=V&seedid=388

Jen

GOT A "WILD HAIR"?

www.maryjanesoutpost.com

Go to Top of Page

sonshine4u
Chapter Guru

1205 Posts

April
New Prague MN
USA
1205 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2009 :  12:53:53 PM  Show Profile
I do love the different colored corn chips. Infact, our grocery store just started carrying blue corn tortillas made by a local company. When I was checking out, the cashier asked if they were good and if they were different from regular tortillas. She looked interested, but a little gun-shy on trying them! I just laughed and said they tasted almost the same!

I have become more and more concerned about the GMO corn products infiltrating everything we eat. I try to buy only NON-GMO Organic corn products.

Thanks for the link about the strawberry corn! Looks like fun!
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Colors of Corn Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page