Farmgirl in Training

23 Posts

diane
Ukiah ca
USA
23 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2006 :  11:38:42 AM  Show Profile
Hi girls,
I'm new to Farmgirls and this is my 1st posting. So here it goes! We are just beginning to look into buying a small country property in Northern California. I've looked into as many websites as I can find that have farms for sale. Do any of you have suggestions on websites that might be good? I figure this is a good way to begin.

I look forward to hearing from you.
Diane

"I'd rather have roses on my table than diamonds on my neck." ...Emma Goldman

happymama58
True Blue Farmgirl

1210 Posts

Patti
Missouri
USA
1210 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2006 :  4:04:16 PM  Show Profile
I'm not in your area, but around here websites have few rural properties and the prices are high. The places I find the most listings and the lower asking prices are rural newspapers, the ones from small towns in the middle of rural area in the county I'm interested in. We started getting a subscription to a weekly paper a 18 months ago so we could start looking and so we would have an idea of what a reasonable asking price is so when we were ready to buy we'd know what's what. One Sunday or so a month, we drive out in the country, past the properties that are listed (if there are any) to see what they look like.

An added advantage, in my opinion, is we also read all the articles and are getting a feel for what goes on in the area, so that when we do finally make the move we'll be more knowledgeable. We also attend church supper/fund raisers from time to time, and other stuff like that.

Good luck finding what you're looking for!

Some people search for happiness; others create it.
Go to Top of Page

dkgold
Farmgirl in Training

23 Posts

diane
Ukiah ca
USA
23 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2006 :  5:50:13 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Patti... those are great ideas... I'll see if I can get some subscriptions to the local papers up there.

Diane

"I'd rather have roses on my table than diamonds on my neck." ...Emma Goldman
Go to Top of Page

dgarnera
Farmgirl in Training

45 Posts

Debra
Pine Grove CA
USA
45 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2006 :  1:51:04 PM  Show Profile
Good luck Diane. We just moved back to Northern CA after being in Oregon for 10 years. ALl of our family lives here. We have been very disapointed in home prices. We have a large family- to find a home big enough for our family and just 5 acres would be about $900,000. We did find one today with 6 acres but the house is on the small side- it is $274,000. This is a steal around here. But we are thinking of our children's future. We have been training them to be self sufficient and not live a life filled with debt- by the time they are ready to have a home of their own there is no way they will be able to afford it here.
We are planning on moving out of state again- as soon as we pay off some debt.. We are looking for an area that we can get 40 acres or more for under $200,000 but that also single family homes on a big lot are going for under $30,000- that way we can start investing in our childrens futures by buying up homes- renting them out until our children are grown. SO far North dakota looks best but we would like a state where the homeschooling laws are more lenient.
Our goal is to own our own farm free and clear by the time we are 50- that is just 13 years away.
blessings,debra

Joyful momma of 5 plus 1 in the oven..
Go to Top of Page

manda
Farmgirl in Training

49 Posts

amanda
corralitos cA
USA
49 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2006 :  10:23:10 PM  Show Profile
Hi Diane,
Home prices are CRAZY in California. Where I live a million dollar house can be a junker. Silicon Valley has made a huge impact on house prices in Northern California. I would look online for a real estate agent in the Fort Bragg area and have them send or email you listings of homes on acreage. At least you can see what's available. Good luck and follow your dreams!
Amanda
Go to Top of Page
  A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic Looking for a farm Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page