Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Chick Troubles Next Topic  

farmchick4
Farmgirl in Training

27 Posts

Heather
Beulah Nd
27 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2009 :  04:52:18 AM  Show Profile
Not sure if I should've started a new thread for this or not, sorry if not. :)

Last night we hatched out two Ameracauna chicks. One hatched on her own, fairly quickly, and with no apparant problems. The other I assisted, also with no problems. The little one that hatched on her own has sore red swollen hocks and walks on them, not her feet. I moved her and the other hatchling to another incubator with a towel over the metal to try to help her. I'm just not sure what to do to help her. She seems healthy otherwise. So, I will welcome any advice. I've done some researching and I don't really find to much on what to do to help her. I'm guessing my temp was too high or she just pushed so hard to get out. She's the only one out of 5 that has had troubles, however most of the others were not able to hatch on their own. Not really sure why, except next time, I'm getting a hygrometer (sp?). Thanks!
Heather

twzlrwho
True Blue Farmgirl

199 Posts

christina
dewitt va
USA
199 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2009 :  06:35:36 AM  Show Profile
It sounds like spraddle leg. It's an easy fix if that's what it is. Take a bandaid, split in half longways, wrap the sticky parts around her legs leaving the gauze part in the middle. It will take her some time to get use to walking like that but she should get the hang of it. It should be fixed in around 3 days. However I had to leave it on my Hobit for a week. Also a vitamin defeciency is uasually a culprit (if you don't have her on newspaper) so you can give her poly-vi-sol 3x a day for 3 days. It is a vitamin for infants found in any drug store. Oh and get the kind without iron.

Good Luck and please keep us posted!
HUGS

Christina

Work like you don't have to, love like you've never been hurt, and dance like nobody is watching :)
Go to Top of Page

farmchick4
Farmgirl in Training

27 Posts

Heather
Beulah Nd
27 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2009 :  3:04:53 PM  Show Profile
Well,
I came home at lunch today and she had passed. I think the poor little thing just had to work so hard just to move that she just got tired out. Unless there was something else going on that I could not see. It's a sad day at our house, but I feel this is the best. It would've been rotten for her in a flock, chickens can be so cruel. All in all, my hatching experience has been wonderful. I'm all out of fert. eggs now, but I look forward to incubating again. Thank you for the great advice Christina! Good luck to you!
Heather
Go to Top of Page

mulegirl
True Blue Farmgirl

184 Posts

rosemary
cottonwood pass co
USA
184 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2009 :  3:32:05 PM  Show Profile
She's a chick angel, so sorry.
Rosemary

smile, follow your heart and don't look back
http://web.mac.com/rosemaryart
Go to Top of Page

twzlrwho
True Blue Farmgirl

199 Posts

christina
dewitt va
USA
199 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2009 :  3:45:44 PM  Show Profile
Oh Heather I am so sorry to hear that. I have a few chicks that I bet are waiting at the gates for her. Again I am so sorry.
HUGS

Christina

Work like you don't have to, love like you've never been hurt, and dance like nobody is watching :)
Go to Top of Page

twzlrwho
True Blue Farmgirl

199 Posts

christina
dewitt va
USA
199 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2009 :  3:59:50 PM  Show Profile
Also if you would like I could send you some pure Buff Orpington eggs. Just let me know and I will give you my email addy so you can give me your address. I just got these girls and they are laying machines and the roo has been seen working it;) Just say the word :)

Christina

Go to Top of Page

farmchick4
Farmgirl in Training

27 Posts

Heather
Beulah Nd
27 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2009 :  5:24:35 PM  Show Profile
Thanks everybody, you are all so sweet. I realize that these things are bound to happen, but that doesn't make it any easier. A life is a life. Anyhow, thanks again for the kind words. And Christina, I'll check with my hubby, but I dont' think I'll be hatching more this year. Next spring I will though. I love buff orpingtons though!
HUGS!
Heather
Go to Top of Page

twzlrwho
True Blue Farmgirl

199 Posts

christina
dewitt va
USA
199 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2009 :  08:16:41 AM  Show Profile
Ok. In my bator they go :). Let me know if you change your mind. I am getting about 7 a day so there is plenty to go around. These guys are huge and come from MissPrissy and Jody (hijnk poultry) from BYC. I am super eggcited LOL. Sorry I couldn't help myself.
HUGS

Christina

Go to Top of Page

farmchick4
Farmgirl in Training

27 Posts

Heather
Beulah Nd
27 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2009 :  1:24:45 PM  Show Profile
You make me laugh! Thanks!
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Chick Troubles Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic