Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic Cheap trees! Practically FREE! Next Topic  

Sandra K. Licher
True Blue Farmgirl

1106 Posts

Sandra
Horseshoe Bend Arkansas
1106 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2009 :  6:58:32 PM  Show Profile
I sent $10.00 to the National Arbor Day Foundation and I received 11 trees! Granted, they're just little sticks right now but they send you a great variety based on trees for your area. I received 2 Sargent Crabapple, 2 Eastern Redbuds, 2 Washington Hawthorns, 2 White Flowering Dogwoods, 2 Goldenrain trees and 1 Crapemyrtle.
They tell you to place them in a protected area for 1-2 years and then transplant to where you want them permanently which is great since I am just beginning to landscape here. So, I potted them all up today in containers that I had bought other plants in like perennials and the pots were about 4" across and about 7-8 inches high. I watered them all and they are now on my sunporch for the summer but they are protected from "critters" and high winds and hopefully they will do well. If they don't you can contact them and they will send you replacements...what a deal! The stems are painted different colors for identifying them and they give you a very thorough planting guide with pictures (I need pictures! LOL!) and also a leaf identification in case they painted them the worng color! Ha! Ha! Anyway, I just thought I would share this with all of you since I had always wondered about it but was afraid I would have to "pick" spots for all these trees immediately....not to worry!
Get them now and you have plenty of time for them to grow before you need to put them permanently in the ground. I'll put them out in the garage probably to over winter but I'll still water them or maybe I'll email N.A.D.F. for their suggestions just to be sure.
So....if you missed Earth Day...it's not too late! Just logon to www.arborday.org

Sam in AR..... "It's a great life if you don't weaken!"
Farmgirl Sister #226

www.farmgirlsam.blogspot.com

rhondacate
True Blue Farmgirl

234 Posts

Rhonda
Janesville CA
USA
234 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2009 :  09:20:37 AM  Show Profile
We just got our Arbor Day trees last week, too. We got almost all the same trees as you, though I do know the Crape Myrtle doesn't grow in my area. Too bad! I love them.

~Rhonda

http://rmfo-blogs.com/rhonda
Go to Top of Page

Sandra K. Licher
True Blue Farmgirl

1106 Posts

Sandra
Horseshoe Bend Arkansas
1106 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2009 :  10:44:06 AM  Show Profile
Rhonda....good going! I looked at mine today after having "potted" them yesterday and I'll be dipped if there wasn't some little green buds popping out on a few of them! WOW! They must have missed the dirt! Good luck with yours.

Farmgirl Sister #226

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2009 :  12:59:00 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Great recommendation! I will have to try that on payday!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2009 :  1:31:22 PM  Show Profile
Just be sure and inform your hubby so he won't weed eat them all down! Like mine did. I got all those trees a few years back and had them all in a little composted spot near the garden and they were all looking good with their leaves and growing tall. Next thing I know they are gone. Nowhere to be seen. Men with weed whackers are very dangerous! I have to follow mine around now to be sure he doesn't get anything else. It's awful, but it could happen again anytime and I will be there to protect!

Kris

Life is what you make it. Always has been. Always will be.
Go to Top of Page

Sandra K. Licher
True Blue Farmgirl

1106 Posts

Sandra
Horseshoe Bend Arkansas
1106 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2009 :  1:51:00 PM  Show Profile
No kidding! I am divorced but those terrible memories of the weedwhacker destruction all came flooding back to me! LOL! Even after I was divorced, I hired a gut to do some yard work and told him EXACTLY what to do and he "voluntarily" went out to my mailbox (way out by the road away from where he was supposed to be working) and weed whacked all my perennials that I had around my mailbox! So, word to the wise.....it's a "guy" thing even when they're not your husband. In fact, it's even worse because I had to pay him for the destruction! Arrrgh!

Farmgirl Sister #226

Go to Top of Page

Sandra K. Licher
True Blue Farmgirl

1106 Posts

Sandra
Horseshoe Bend Arkansas
1106 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2009 :  1:53:18 PM  Show Profile
Kristin...I hope I don't have nightmares tonight now!

Farmgirl Sister #226

Go to Top of Page

abigailc1973
True Blue Farmgirl

85 Posts

abigail
orlando fl
USA
85 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2009 :  3:14:17 PM  Show Profile
That's so true, about the guys. Watch out for the ones with shovels too. Mine dug up a clump of volunteer rainlilies I had going. Luckily he didn't get all the roots because they did come back! I joined up with Arbor Day Foundation a couple years back and have been very satisfied with everything I've gotten from them. The free trees really sweeten the deal. One year I'd like to send the songbird tree collection to my sister and her hubby in Michigan as a Christmas gift or something. They love birdwatching. Their hydrangeas and shrubs are worth checking out as well.
Go to Top of Page

Sandra K. Licher
True Blue Farmgirl

1106 Posts

Sandra
Horseshoe Bend Arkansas
1106 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2009 :  5:30:06 PM  Show Profile
Is that stuff for sale on their website? I didn't see any other stuff for sale in the paperwork they sent me. That's cool!

Farmgirl Sister #226

Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4739 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4739 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2009 :  6:00:47 PM  Show Profile
We got a free spruce (a tiny stick) on Arbor Day from Whole Foods and we bought a red bud at the plant sale at Morton Arboretum over the weekend. We are hoping both will take off and do well for us.

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

abigailc1973
True Blue Farmgirl

85 Posts

abigail
orlando fl
USA
85 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2009 :  6:20:16 PM  Show Profile
Sandra- I'm not sure if the collections are listed in the tree book or not but they are on the website. So far, I've bought some hydrangeas, redbuds, arizona cypress and recieved a maple, some white flowering dogwoods, some bald cypress, crape myrtle, golden chain tree, red maple, forsynthias. Very good deals. They may be twigs to start but soon enough they leaf right out and start growing. I've been thinking over thier camellias...maybe I'll put in for a spring shipment next year.
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Cheap trees! Practically FREE! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page