mulegirl
True Blue Farmgirl

184 Posts

rosemary
cottonwood pass co
USA
184 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2009 :  08:38:16 AM  Show Profile
What memories do you have about Roy and Dale?
I watched them every Saturday. Loved Roy and Dale and a dream came true when I met Roy at his museumin Victorville CA a few years beforehe died. He was soooo sweet.
Happy Earth Day!
x rosemary

smile, follow your heart and don't look back
http://web.mac.com/rosemaryart

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2009 :  08:43:32 AM  Show Profile
Oh boy howdy, does my mom love Roy Rogers. I watched the reruns as a child, but she still talks about him like it was yesterday (she's 61)...I buy her all sorts of little memorabilia that I can (afford), the last being little leather gloves with fringe from the 1950's that read Roy Rogers with a lariat around the name. I guess they probably came with a playset...She also has some Roy Rogers leather chaps hanging in her family room, but her favorite items are the sterling silver Roy Rogers button covers I found at some antique shop in North Carolina for her. She wears them on her denim shirts proudly!!! We've also been to the museum, but Roy was out of town--mom was a little bummed, but not too much when she got into all the stuff!!

Personally, I loved Dale...I read her "Angel Unaware" book about their adopted daughter with Downes and I became a reading and math tutor for adults with the disease.

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

AuntPammy
True Blue Farmgirl

488 Posts

Pamila
williamstown wv
USA
488 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2009 :  08:51:51 AM  Show Profile  Click to see AuntPammy's MSN Messenger address
I loved Roy Rogers and Dale Evans!!! I even had a lunch-box with Roy on one end (it was in the shape of a covered wagon) and Dale was on the other end waving out of the back of the wagon.

I loved it when they would yodel and oh my... the rope tricks.The songs and the stories,I wish I could watch reruns of all of their shows!

Lucky you who actually got to meet him...I always thought he would be sweet in person.

"Keep your face to the sunshine and you will never see the shadow." Helen Keller

www.auntpsalmostheaven.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2009 :  09:03:48 AM  Show Profile
I had the whole Dale outfit, fringed skirt, vest, boots, hat and gun, and of course the lunch pail.

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

KayB
True Blue Farmgirl

540 Posts

Kay
Del City Oklahoma
USA
540 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2009 :  10:12:07 AM  Show Profile
My 3 brothers and I watched it every Saturday. I so wanted a horse like Buttermilk, although Trigger was much prettier. And at the end of every episode -- "Happy trails to you......"

Life's a dance you learn as you go
Go to Top of Page

palmettogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

571 Posts

sue
camden south carolina
USA
571 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2009 :  11:01:05 AM  Show Profile
gosh, i was madly in love with him! i also watched him every saturday morning (i think he was on after Sky King....how's that for a memory?!) i remember my grandfather came to pick me up on one saturday morning so that he could take me to the bicycle shop in town to buy me a new bike......and i was upset that i was gonna miss roy! ---what an ungrateful kid:( --
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2009 :  11:21:21 AM  Show Profile
I loved Roy and Dale! I watched them every Saturday morning. I wanted to be just like Dale when I grew up. I watched Sky King too - loved that show.

Handmade Soap & Lotion Bars http://www.therusticcottagebath.com

The Rustic Cottage Blog http://therusticcottage.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

KayB
True Blue Farmgirl

540 Posts

Kay
Del City Oklahoma
USA
540 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2009 :  11:37:22 AM  Show Profile
We used to watch Sky King. Also watched Annie Oakley, too. That's the outfit I had until, at the ripe old age of 6, I decided to iron it and melted my plastic fringe and pockets. Mom's iron was never the same. Loved Sky and his niece, Penny. We also watched My Friend Flicka and Fury. Anybody remember any of those?

Go to Top of Page

mulegirl
True Blue Farmgirl

184 Posts

rosemary
cottonwood pass co
USA
184 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2009 :  1:02:31 PM  Show Profile
I loved MY FRIEND FLICKA and FURY with Joey, Jim Newton and Pete? CISCO AND PANCHO, SKY KING and how about anyone from The Philadelphia area, Sally Star and Cheif Halfton? LONE RANGER and Tonto( my cat's named Tonto and a spanish friend asked why I named my cat "stupid"?, apparently Tonto means dumb or stupid, Nice, hey?) My cat is not stupid!

Go to Top of Page

CountryBorn
True Blue Farmgirl

1545 Posts

Mary Jane
New York
USA
1545 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2009 :  5:02:07 PM  Show Profile
I sure watched Roy and Dale,I gotta say that I loved them but my real passion was Trigger!! Watched all the other shows too. Anither fav of mine was The Lone Ranger,again loved that white horse Silver! Happy memories.Or should I say Happy trails to you.

MJ

There can be no happiness if the things we believe in are different from the things we do. Freya Stark
Go to Top of Page

bushelnpeck
True Blue Farmgirl

262 Posts

Debbie
Sparks Nv
USA
262 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2009 :  6:44:44 PM  Show Profile  Send bushelnpeck an AOL message
I too loved Roy Rogers...one of my favorite possessions is a book he wrote called, "Roy Rogers Favorite Christmas Story" Don't remember where I came upon it, but every Christmas we read it aloud and enjoy his personal story of finding Jesus as his Savior. Told just like he talks, one of our long standing traditions and never is Christmas without it...Debbie

Farmgirl Sister #324

duty makes us do things, but love, makes us do things beautifully...
Go to Top of Page

Suzan
True Blue Farmgirl

659 Posts

suzanne
duncannon pa
USA
659 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2009 :  08:47:08 AM  Show Profile
Anybody remember Spin and Marty? They were on Mickey Mouse Club. I loved them! I found a release of the first week of Mickey Mouse Show on VHS and they are on it - my gk just love it now!
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Clemys Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

157 Posts

Linda
MA
USA
157 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2009 :  09:42:44 AM  Show Profile
Roy Rogers, Sky King, My Friend Flicka, Fury ---- what good memories.

And Mickey Mouse --- Annette and all the gang.

My sister had the Roy Rogers lunch box and Annie Oakley horse / figure set. I used the lunch box during grade school when she went off to junior high. She still has the lunch box which is on display in her kitchen --- thermos and all.

Does anyone remember Shrinky Dinks? You put a sheet of plastic over the TV screen to draw along with the show host.

Or Shennigians with Stubby Kaye? Walking down a game board road to win prizes with the ultimate prize of being allowed to shovel all the pennies you could into a bucket?

How about the kids shows out of local TV stations?

We had Freddy Fudd and the Treehouse (all the Warner Bros cartoons with Bugs Bunny always a rascally wabbit on Freddy Fudd's trail) and Major Astro (one of the first man in space kid shows featuring cartoons).

The newscaster who portrayed Freddie Fudd also was our Santa Claus on Santa's Workshop during December with the beloved KAKE-man puppet, showing toys and talking about how we should all be good for Santa's sake. KAKE-man puppet was named for a local TV station out of Wichita, Kansas.

The show was on the air during my childhood and my daughter's as well.

Aunt Clemys Farm Girl
Farm Girl #300

Edited by - Aunt Clemys Farm Girl on Apr 23 2009 09:44:57 AM
Go to Top of Page

KayB
True Blue Farmgirl

540 Posts

Kay
Del City Oklahoma
USA
540 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2009 :  09:49:03 AM  Show Profile
The only local kids' show I can remember is Foreman Scotty and 3-D Danny. Found out later that Foreman Scotty really hated kids. I almost got to go on the show but I had poison ivy all over my face the day my group was supposed to go on, so it was decided I would be better off at home. Mama kept pointing out all my friends and I was so upset I threw pillows at the television set. Never did make it to the show.

On Saturdays anything with a horse was my favorite at that time of day. I still think Trigger was the best horse, but Buttermilk, Flicka, and Fury were all pretty, too.

We have a Dale Rogers school here for people with handicaps. She was a heck of a lady. Also, has anyone noticed how much Clint Black looks like Roy Rogers when he was young? My hubby even noticed.

Kay B

Go to Top of Page

Aunt Clemys Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

157 Posts

Linda
MA
USA
157 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2009 :  1:40:23 PM  Show Profile
You are so right, Kay.

Clint Black does look like a young Roy Rogers.

Your sharing of the poison ivy story is priceless.

Did you listen to KOMA - Oklahoma City to your favorite music when growing up?
One of the best stations ever.

Aunt Clemys Farm Girl
Farm Girl #300

Go to Top of Page

Lainey
True Blue Farmgirl

2401 Posts

Elaine
Waco Kentucky
USA
2401 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2009 :  1:44:52 PM  Show Profile
I used to love to watch them when I was a kid. I had noticed that Clint Black looks like him too. They actually did a music video together. I thought that was cool!

http://www.mtv.com/videos/clint-black/54855/hold-on-partner.jhtml

Farmgirl Sister #25

http://countrygirldreams.blogspot.com/

An Angel says, 'Never borrow from the future. If you worry about what may happen tomorrow and it doesn't happen, you have worried in vain. Even if it does happen, you have to worry twice.'
Go to Top of Page

vermont v
True Blue Farmgirl

194 Posts

Victoria
Chester Vermont
USA
194 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2009 :  4:36:09 PM  Show Profile

Roy was quite a ladies man I heard! I loved Dale and read all her books. I think she was probably a saint. I thought it would be so cool to have a Jeep like Nellie Bell. I had the privilege of sitting on Sky Kings lap when I was a kid! I'm glad someone remembers him. Does anyone remember a show called the Littlest Hobo about a travelling German Shepard? He would hop off and on to a boxcar on every program.
Go to Top of Page

mulegirl
True Blue Farmgirl

184 Posts

rosemary
cottonwood pass co
USA
184 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2009 :  5:59:03 PM  Show Profile
Oh Lainey,
Thanks for including the video link. I have the cd but never saw the video. Maybe Clint Black will play Roy in his life movie.
Isn't it fun to reminisce!
Happy Trails!
Rosemary

Go to Top of Page

Ronna
True Blue Farmgirl

1891 Posts

Ronna
Fernley NV
USA
1891 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2009 :  8:38:24 PM  Show Profile
I have an 8x10 photo taken of me with Roy Rogers when he was at a nightclub in the early 70's. He was so short I had to scrunch down not to knock his cowboy hat off. The photographer liked me, would come and get me for photos anytime a celebrity was there. Ricky Nelson, Waylon several times, Willie.
Dale was not the good Christian in her early days according to my FIL, who was a stuntman and knew them well. I didn't ask him how he knew...cause I knew better :) She was very jealous of Roy and would guard him from any women who might want to get close to him.
Good memories. I had a private tour of Disney Studios when they were filming Mickey Mouse Club and Spin and Marty. I waited on Annette at the deli in Burbank (in the late 70's early 80's) several times and she was the most kind sweet lady of any star I ever knew. I try to follow her battle with MS, know it's taken away about everything in her life except her family. Her dad owned the service station on the corner in Burbank where the studios were located.
Go to Top of Page

KayB
True Blue Farmgirl

540 Posts

Kay
Del City Oklahoma
USA
540 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2009 :  10:48:21 AM  Show Profile
I still listen to KOMA - it is now an FM station that plays oldies (you know you're old when Elton John and Billy Joel are played). Danny Williams just retired after being there as a deejay forever.

Go to Top of Page

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2009 :  11:04:58 AM  Show Profile
I always regreated not getting to meet Roy and Dale so when we were in CA in 02, we went out of our way to go to their museum. Well worth the trip. A year or so later it was announced that they were moving to museum to Branson MO, just 3 hours from here. And yes, we have been to Branson, just to visit the museum. Seems like everything is there but seems smaller. I think they were truly beautiful people.

And Sky King with Penny and Clipper were my second favorite.

And don't forget Hopalong Cassidy. He too was a beautiful person.
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Roy Rogers Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page