Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Do you believe you need to be...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Do you believe you need to be... Next Topic  

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2009 :  4:47:20 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
lucky or just put the old nose to the grindstone to get around in life? I actually consider myself the most unlucky person in the world but hard work is, slowly, paying off. I think you can rise through any circumstance in life and change your station in life with hard work and determination. I am asking this because growing up, my parents had no dreams for me, no aspirations or hope. Don't know why but now that I have moved way beyond their wildest dreams, they now say I am just lucky when in fact I have been extrememly hard working. What say all ya'll???

Heather

Yee-Haw, I am a cowgirl!!!

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2009 :  6:09:45 PM  Show Profile
I would have to agree with you. Luck has nothing to do with it. Prayers and hard work get you moving and God will do the leading. Life is what you make it!
hugs

Jessie
Farmgirl Sister #235

"You are my strength when I am weak. You are the treasure that I seek. You are my all in all. Seeking You as a precious jewel; Lord, to give up I'd be a fool. You are my all in all."

Stop by my blog for a visit www.messiejessie2.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2009 :  6:12:26 PM  Show Profile
I don't think it is luck either...nope..hard work and persistance pays off!

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2009 :  6:15:11 PM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
HMMM... Maybe a pinch of dumb luck.. but more than anything, it is a willingness to walk through the door...

Rene~Prosser Farmgirl #185
http://farmchicksfarm.blogspot.com/http://renenaturallyspeaking.blogspot.com/

Circumstances made us FRIENDS; MaryJane's has made us SISTERS :)
Go to Top of Page

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2009 :  6:23:05 PM  Show Profile
ooh I like that Rene. How often is it that it is our own selves that are keeping us from moving forward:)
hugs

Jessie
Farmgirl Sister #235

"You are my strength when I am weak. You are the treasure that I seek. You are my all in all. Seeking You as a precious jewel; Lord, to give up I'd be a fool. You are my all in all."

Stop by my blog for a visit www.messiejessie2.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

daylily
True Blue Farmgirl

114 Posts

Chris
Newcastle CA
USA
114 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2009 :  7:30:26 PM  Show Profile
I saw a quote somewhere that said: "The harder I work, the luckier I get!" I wish I could remember who said it, but it certainly is true for me.

Chris
Farmgirl Sister #346

http://refininglife.blogspot.com
http://organizedkitchen.blogspot.com
http://redeemedforapurpose.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

babysmama
True Blue Farmgirl

931 Posts

Elizabeth
Iowa
931 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2009 :  7:41:42 PM  Show Profile
Luck has nothing to do with our success in life. Real success has to be worked for. Your parents should say you are lucky because you go after your dreams, it's not like your dreams just fell into your lap and were handed to you on a silver platter. Keep working towards your goal!
-Elizabeth
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2009 :  7:51:40 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I think that working hard makes your own luck. I think that little things that we do that we might not even realize- that smile that someone saw or that extra effort put into a resume are things that can tip the scales in your favor.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2009 :  9:44:08 PM  Show Profile
Prayers and Hard work!!

Hugs from Marian/Dutchy, a farmgirl from the Netherlands :)

My personal blog:
http://just-me-a-dutch-girl.blogspot.com/

Almost daily updates on me and mine :)
Go to Top of Page

southerncrossgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

631 Posts

Gena
Harmony NC
USA
631 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2009 :  03:29:05 AM  Show Profile
I am not sure the name of the song, but it says "if you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans". I feel that we are all moved by God.

"A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes"==Cinderella
Go to Top of Page

goneriding
True Blue Farmgirl

1599 Posts

Winona
Central Oregon
USA
1599 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2009 :  03:47:40 AM  Show Profile
I think it's a bit of both. From my perspective, I'd rather have a lot of luck (like hitting the jackpot in Vegas, winning the bazillion dollar lottery on a ticket you bought for $2) than working my buns off but that's not been my life. I've had to work my buns off with a bit of luck. I'm thinking there are merits to both sides, just depends how you look at it.

Winona ;-)

To read funny stories about my cooking 'skills', please visit http://lostadventuresincooking.blogspot.com/

For uber-opinionated, pleasurable horse related reading, please visit http://horseinfoperson.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2009 :  03:47:53 AM  Show Profile
It seems to come easy for some pelple, but in the end there's always a tradeoff.

All my goals in life have been met due in part to hard work, so I could die happy today. Some were achieved at a severe price. Others obtained by right place, right time and some major divine intervention. Some also may be attributed to the people you know and the networks you keep.

I DO believe in a higher power for sure!

It really helps to have the support of parents. And I'm sorry you never did. That's sad. Even if the dream is trivial...it's real to the person who desires whatever "it" is.
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2009 :  03:51:42 AM  Show Profile
Two mantras that were passed along in our family were and still are:

1. Never give up. Envision the stork eating a frong whose hands are around the storks neck. I had this cartoon taped to my dorm wall and read it FREQUENTLY!

2. Non Illigitimus Carbourndum literal Latan translation: Don't let the bastards get you down
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2009 :  04:59:30 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
I LOOOOOVEEEEEE # 2... I am going to put that in a frame!!! : )

Heather

Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2009 :  06:37:49 AM  Show Profile
I'm going to risk being labeled a crank here and say that I think luck is more important. It's true, you rarely get anything done in life without hard work. But I know so many people who have worked hard all their lives and just never gotten the breaks that would have allowed their hopes and plans to come to fruition.

If I attributed this to God, I would not be able to think very kindly of God. I think we modern people, especially Christians, are mistaken in the way we confuse the blessings of God with material success. I put a lot of stock in the age-old concept of "Fortune's wheel". Maybe I'm just medieval in my thinking?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Consolation_of_Philosophy
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2009 :  07:00:35 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Not at all Amie, what works for one may not work for another. It's about finding your right choice. : )

Does anyone think attitude plays into this? I have a GREAT attitude and have done some awesome things in life. I think I can attribute that to being positive.

Heather

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2009 :  07:27:47 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Heather- Yes I certainly do think attitude plays a huge role! For instance when there are two equally qualified canidates (excluding any prejudices the interviewer) the one that has a good attitude is much more likely to be hired!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

CountryBorn
True Blue Farmgirl

1545 Posts

Mary Jane
New York
USA
1545 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2009 :  07:59:10 AM  Show Profile
I believe in all three, luck, hard work and attitude. Let's face it sometimes we are in the right place at the right time,but what you make of the opportuntiy is entirely up to you. Other times it is sheer perserverance and hard work that makes things happen. Attitude is everything no matter what the situation.

MJ

There can be no happiness if the things we believe in are different from the things we do. Freya Stark
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Do you believe you need to be... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page