Londa
Farmgirl in Training

21 Posts

Londa
Savona NY
USA
21 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2009 :  4:17:21 PM  Show Profile
THis might sound shocking to you all, but when I was younger, I didn't live on a farm but there was a farm across the street. So I was over there alot and I remember waking up mornings to the smell of fresh spread cow manure. It never bothered me.

Now chicken manure is a different story!

I also remember helping to bring the cows in for milking and stepping in manure with my bare feet. Today you would never see me do that. But I smile at the memories.

I remember also, I always had to put chocolate in the fresh milk for it was so different than the milk I drank from the milkman. I use to call fresh milk from the cow..cow milk, and milk from the carten..city milk.

I use to love help cleaning out the barn. I still go to farm days around here where I live. I truly respect our farmer. So much work..and we need them to survive.

May God bless all of you farmers and your crops and stocks this year.

Nice chatting with you!

Love, Londa

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2009 :  6:15:10 PM  Show Profile
yep....cow (or horse) manure is not a smell I mind one bit (well.....depends how close I am to the fresh stuff!!) but chicken manure is much more ...powerful..concentrated maybe.
My kids are so used to fresh milk that they think store milk tastes like chalk. I don't know. I don't have to ever drink it..they do have it at school sometimes.I love that you called it city milk.....that is perfect.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2009 :  7:09:21 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Londa- I love those memories. I love the smell of horses- manure included- but my husband hates it! I guess it is all about the associations you have with things!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

mulegirl
True Blue Farmgirl

184 Posts

rosemary
cottonwood pass co
USA
184 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2009 :  8:27:22 PM  Show Profile
Pig poop is the WORST! But I agree cow and horse manure are notoffensive and yea they evoke happy memories. We had a chicken house across from us growing up A big long no windows, factory -chicken house. It was awful when they cleaned it out once a month. Yuck. Imagine eating the chickens who came out of there a day beofre it was cleaned. That's why I won't eat store bought chickens unless they are organic free range!
Rosemary

smile, follow your heart and don't look back
http://web.mac.com/rosemaryart
Go to Top of Page

Mother Hen
True Blue Farmgirl

604 Posts

Cindy
Peck ID
USA
604 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2009 :  9:24:53 PM  Show Profile
Londa, it's so funny that you mentioned the cow manure. As DH and I were coming out of the muddy coral yesterday I told him this:
I really like the smell of cow manure, but, when it's mixed with water and mud and sits here not able to dry up for a couple of months, it sure does stink!

It is starting to slowly dry up around here a bit now. Soon it will be so tinder dry our soil will be like concrete.

Cindy

FARMGIRLS CAN DO ANYTHING!!!

I will bless the Lord at all times: his praise shall continually be in my mouth. Psalms 34:1
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Cow Manure Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page