Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 What material would you use........
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic What material would you use........ Next Topic  

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2009 :  08:26:16 AM  Show Profile
For sewing slips or camisoles? And where do you buy it? I would like to make my own since I have a hard time finding the vintage bias-cut slips that I love these days. It is almost next to impossible to find a camisole, let alone one in a neutral color. Any ideas? I did find a nice pattern at Folkwear so I am going to order that but I'm sort of stumped on fabric, fairly certain I will have to mail-order it
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"

kpaints
True Blue Farmgirl

1564 Posts

karen
cheney wa
1564 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2009 :  08:56:11 AM  Show Profile  Send kpaints an AOL message
Did Michele give you that poly fabric I sent over? You could use that but silk is so much nicer. I have some white, I will check and see how much I have. It has a little pattern embossed on it.

Find your joy and live it. http://cheneybaglady.blogspot.com/http://www.kpaints.etsy.com http://www.thevintagebaglady.etsy.com FG #377
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2009 :  10:23:58 AM  Show Profile
Amy, I made all the girls and myself underwear and bras a few years ago and always used Kwik Sew Patterns and lingerie materials. A small material store carried it back then,or you might try to locate some sites on the internet that carry lingerie material.

Sarita

www.coffmanspinningcfarm.blogspot.com

Contentment is the crown jewel of a happy life.
Go to Top of Page

electricdunce
True Blue Farmgirl

2544 Posts

Karin
Belmont ME
USA
2544 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2009 :  11:05:00 AM  Show Profile
I plan to finally make a long cotton summer slip, and I thought I would use an old damask tablecloth. I do have some that are still quite nice and damask just feels so lovely when it is old and soft...Silk would be lovely too...

Karin

Farmgirl Sister #153

"Give me shelter from the storm" - Bob Dylan
http://moodranch.blogspot.com
http://domesticnonsense.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2009 :  11:15:17 AM  Show Profile
Karen - yes, Michelle did give me that fabric and I thank you!! For this time of year I'm thinking white or light colored - silk would be good and I think I know a source for it.
Karin - old cotton would be lovely, I love that feel too!!
Thanks for the ideas, and the other pattern tip
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
Go to Top of Page

pinkroses
True Blue Farmgirl

2350 Posts

Sheila
Virginia
USA
2350 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2009 :  11:24:54 AM  Show Profile
Damask material.
I would love to have some.
My Grandmother's made dresser scarves out of those
Use them for tea towels etc.
I haven't found them in my area.
Wonder where you could get that on line?
I love all cotton under things.
One day I would like to make myself a embrodiered night gown.
with hand tatting or crocheting.
hugs sheila

www.ohkayteagirl2.blogspot.com
http;//www.sheilascreativetouches.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2009 :  2:12:34 PM  Show Profile
That sounds beautiful Sheila!! There is a company called Thai Silks that has some beautiful stuff - my mom ordered the silk for my wedding dress from there, I haven't seen the samples for several years but they might have a silk damask
Amy Grace (once I ask a question all these ideas about where to get things come floating into my brain, weird phenomenon)

Farmgirl #224
Go to Top of Page

yarnmamma
True Blue Farmgirl

4247 Posts

Linda
Clarks Summit PA
USA
4247 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2009 :  12:32:04 PM  Show Profile  Send yarnmamma a Yahoo! Message
Hi all,
I saw a nice bloomer pattern in the costumes category. There was a long slip too. I think it was Simplicity. Take a look! It looked like they were made from white cotton.

Linda
in Scranton, PA
farmgirl #71
Go to Top of Page

MissDotty
Farmgirl in Training

49 Posts

Anna
Coralville IA
USA
49 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2009 :  10:55:23 PM  Show Profile
I love Folkwear patterns!

I've made several sets of victorian undies and I think the set that I like best is of handkerchief linen. It's a great everyday fabric but may be a bit "grabby" for a half slip under say a wool skirt. Silk is ideal for those types of projects.
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2009 :  11:26:28 PM  Show Profile
There are several good fabric sources on line. Fabric.com carries silk charmuse which is really nice for bias cut slips and camis. They also carry a nice poly charmuse for a reasonable price. Are you using the Intimicies pattern or the Edwardian Underthings pattern? For white cotton I like what I have gotten from Dharma Trading - it is PDF so will dye any color you wish and the quality is really nice. Another cotton source is Martha Pullen but is a little more expensive. The Edwardian Underthings pattern has a good bloomer pattern with either closed or (open crotch if you are into historical accuracy). Another good pattern is available from Past Patterns for camisols and another one for French Drawers. Past Patterns are available through Amazon Vinegar & Pickling Works Dry Goods. If you buy Past Pattern or Patterns from History the sizing is really small so you must go by measurements. I find that by modern sizing they can run 1 to 2 sizes small. Thai Silks does carry silk damask or did a couple of years ago when my daughter made a corset. Folkwear also has a great nightgown pattern called Beautiful Dreamer and a version of it also for children. Folkwear patterns don't allow for much extra in their fabric requirements so be sure and follow their pattern lay outs or buy a little extra fabric.

If you can afford silk, I would go that route as poly is hot and doesn't breathe very well. Silk may seem like a delicate fabric but actually wears really well. Threads Magazine came out with a great article last summer for piecing lace and making a couture camisole so if you are interested in that perhaps you could purchase a back issue or get it at the library.

Sheri
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2009 :  08:58:07 AM  Show Profile
Wow Sheri - thanks for all the info, sounds like you use the Folkwear patterns a lot. I haven't made anything from them in years, since I was in my hippie girl phase and made a bunch of pairs of pants - Moroccan bazaar or something - anyhow I was looking at the Intimacies pattern. I have a bunch of 40's era dresses left and it looked like that might be a bias cut type pattern, or easily adaptable.
I have the Dharma catalog and was looking at both the silk and cotton, not having worked with those much I'm not sure which one is closest to what's in my head as far as what I want, I'm just going to have to experiment - oh darn:D. I think the charmeuse might be a little heavier than what I want for summer.
I think I will be investing in some other Folkwear patterns soon - I scored a couple at value village last year but they are for asian type designs which are not really my style, maybe I'll barter them...
Anyhow, I have made a vow that I will finish some projects before I buy any new patterns so I better get busy
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2009 :  09:19:11 AM  Show Profile
There are several weights of silk at dharma - I think that perhaps you are thinking of a slightly pebbled silk vs shiney? I know a lot of my grandmothers garments had a slight texture to the silk. I made the Intimacies slip as a long dress for my daughter for a dance when she was in high school. I have been using Folkwear patterns for years and have quite a collection. My passion is sewing antique reproductions - especially from the Edwardian period. There is nothing I love more than tucks and lace. I am known to wear a fancy Gibson Girl top with my overalls!! Guess my last life keeps bleeding over into this one!? When the 1990's came around my uncle teased me that I finally hit my "era" except about 100 yrs late. Good luck with your project.

Sheri
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2009 :  10:42:38 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Sheri - I think I was born in the wrong era too, except probably it would have been the '30's and 40's for me. The 30's because I love the farmgirl frugal ethos and the 40's because it was actually the only decade when the normal female shape was in style and bias-cut 40's dresses are so flattering!!
I was thinking of a slightly textured silk, maybe for lining skirts too, but pretty lightweight.
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
Go to Top of Page

BarefootGoatGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1495 Posts

Corrine
North Carolina
USA
1495 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2009 :  10:55:38 AM  Show Profile  Send BarefootGoatGirl a Yahoo! Message
for everyday slips for my girls, i use old white sheets. the fabric is very thin, soft, and inexpensive. for a nice treat for myself, i would certantly choose silk.

What we write today slipped into our souls some other day when we were alone and doing nothing.
-Brenda Ueland

http://quilandneedle.blogspot.com/

http://musingandmuttering.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2009 :  3:40:15 PM  Show Profile
Hey Sheri & Amy~Grace,
Are you planning on going to the rag rug class at MaryJane's store on May 9th? You both are not that far away from CDA and then you could have fun shopping Wiggets Antique shop after the class....just planting a seed in your brain...heeheehee...

>^..^< Happiness is being a katmom.
"I've never met a sewing machine I didn't like!"

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://www.graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

Lizabeth
True Blue Farmgirl

560 Posts

Washington
560 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2009 :  05:59:03 AM  Show Profile
My favorite slip is a bias cut batiste. so light and comfortable for summer, but still gives the coverage and drape I like. there is something lovely about wearing a slip under one's dresses.

last summer we went to a wedding with three or four bridesmaids, and they were certainly not wearing slips. quite embarassing I thought.
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2009 :  11:15:21 AM  Show Profile
Mm-hmm, slips are a must with certain dresses!!
Grace - I e-mailed Brenda regarding the "get er done" night, but that weekend is my Mom's 60th birthday, a family reunion, and my wedding anniversary so Amy Grace will not be doing the farmgirl thing. I'm hoping one of these months the stars align so I have free time at the same time as a farmgirl happening:D
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic What material would you use........ Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page