Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2009 :  08:07:25 AM  Show Profile
Poppies, colius, black eyed Susan vine, vining flowering bean, (forgot it's name), Spinach, collards, Swiss chard, Endive and cucumber. Harvested, Marjorum, Oregano, Chives, Asparagus. Stuff that died, 3 tomato plants, (experimental not main crop) 1 rosemary and 1 thyme. Potatoes are up, so are snow peas, lettuce, radish and scallions.

Raining this morning so not doing anything. Didn't get up until 9:45.

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2009 :  09:58:07 AM  Show Profile
Wow Belle - you are extremely industrious!! What planting zone are you in? I always had a vision of Kansas as being sort of cold till May or so....shows what I know
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2009 :  11:01:30 AM  Show Profile
I have some sweet peas planted and a few of the little plants dont look so good. I planted 2 rosemary plants this year. I always have a hard time with rosemary. They like a dry well draining soil and not a tone of water. I hope they take this year. My mom has a HUGE rosemary bush infront of her house.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

Rebekka Mae
True Blue Farmgirl

965 Posts

Rebekka
Moscow ID
USA
965 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2009 :  12:43:52 PM  Show Profile
I want to get started so badly...but I need to wait a few more weeks for the last frost. Today I am putting organic fertilizer on the grass I am keeping and covering a big section of grass with newspaper and straw where my expanded garden will be. I am waiting on a dump truck load of soil and then I can top dress with compost and GARDEN!

Rebekka

www.bebebella.etsy.com

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2009 :  2:51:20 PM  Show Profile
Belle, I bet your garden is so colorful. Sounds really pretty. I bet you're wore out, too.

Kris

Life is what you make it. Always has been. Always will be.
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2009 :  3:49:17 PM  Show Profile
Wow,

Belle your garden sounds great. I won't be planting until the end of May because of chance of frost here. I can't wait!

~Sharon

By His Grace, For His Glory

http://merryheartjournal.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2009 :  08:02:05 AM  Show Profile
The weather says it is going to be nice this whole week. Plan to get the rest of things planted. One of our grandsons wants to share the harvest but dosen't seem to have time for the work part. He ask what he could do to help $$. I told him we needed more potting soil for the raised beds that have decomposed. He came by with 8 huge bags of the really good stuff. For that he gets salsa makins. I love it when they come through with some help, one way or another.

Amy Grace, we are the southern part of zone 6. Some winters zone 7. In the summer, we are zone 9. However, 2 years ago had so much rain that we had major flooding. last summer I don't think we officially got up to 100 degrees. 3 years ago, it was over 110 everyday for 6 weeks. The zones are zoned for winters. This past winter, We had one good snow and only a couple of nights that the temp was below 20. Thought we would have an early spring and summer but not. Warmed up and the fruit trees bloomed then it froze big time.

Anyway, supposed to be in the 80's all week.
Go to Top of Page

NudeFoodFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

433 Posts

Heide
Benton City WA
433 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2009 :  08:10:51 AM  Show Profile
I am right there with you. We have tilled 2 acres and I will have them all planted by the second week of May. So I had to get started. I put 5 different salad greens, 2 kinds of radishes, 4 kinds of potatoes, onions. I have sunflowers coming up everywhere, so we are delegating patches to trellis the snap peas, pole beans and nasurtriums I planted. Pumpkins and cucumbers growing under em. Today I am doing 3 kinds of carrots, 2 sorts of beets and some parsnips.
Just me and my honey bun, wish I could help you with yours and you could come check mine out. Shame we all live so far apart. I will try to take a picture for ya and post it soon.
Best,
h

Nude Food Farm
~Grown so good,
Dressing is Optional.
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2009 :  08:22:55 AM  Show Profile
Wow Belle - that is a way different weather pattern than I had in my head for Kansas - I love this forum, I learn something new every day.
Heide, sounds like you are busy too - we have just 1/4 acre or so for our garden but it is keeping us plenty busy. Mostly because before we moved into the house it was overgrown horse pasture, which means the soil is very good - you should see how many earthworms we have - but also that it was overrun with thistles. We have gradually been making headway but there have been a couple summers where I had to concentrate so hard on keeping the humans in the house alive I didn't have time for the garden. This year is our big "planting for the future" push though, we are double-digging beds by hand. We have 8 3 x 10 foot beds done so far plus a big old potato "corral"
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

electricdunce
True Blue Farmgirl

2544 Posts

Karin
Belmont ME
USA
2544 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2009 :  10:53:35 AM  Show Profile
Your garden sounds great. Swiss chard is my all time fave, I suppose I could try to plant some really early, I think they can take a frost. I am such awimp at gardening these days, but I do enjoy my raised beds, and they are really raised, almost waist high so I can sit on them. Bad knees. My strawberries are leafing out and some of the perennial herbs, but we usually get a hard frost around the first of June, so I have to be patient, not my strong suit...I am going to try growing potatoes in hay this year...

Gardens! The best...

Karin

Farmgirl Sister #153

"Give me shelter from the storm" - Bob Dylan
http://moodranch.blogspot.com
http://domesticnonsense.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2009 :  11:37:03 AM  Show Profile
Karin, I just came from your blogspot. How have I missed going there? Wow! Your quilts are out of this world beautiful. All my favorite colors and patterns. And the New England graveyard was sooooooo interesting. One of the things we love to do in our travels besides visiting gardens is taking a long walk in local graveyards. The ones in New England are the best.

Got my greenbeans planted, came in for a break. Going back out and see what I need to do next. The wind is blowing too hard to set out tomatoes.
Go to Top of Page

homesteaderbelle
True Blue Farmgirl

391 Posts

Belle

USA
391 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2009 :  3:46:55 PM  Show Profile  Click to see homesteaderbelle's MSN Messenger address
Your garden sounds like it will be very nice!

belle

http://www.homesteaderbelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic What I planted yesterday Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page