Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 Glucosamine in Senior Horse
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Glucosamine in Senior Horse Next Topic  

KD Earthwork
True Blue Farmgirl

210 Posts

Katie
Gualala Calif.
USA
210 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2009 :  07:24:06 AM  Show Profile
Hi Everybody I think all the help out there is amazing so Ok I'm having this trouble w/ my horse.
I have this [bleep]y bratty mare who's just beautiful and so sweet w/ my kids and has great ground manners.Anyway she's a hard keeper so I started supplementing her w/ daily senior LMF w/ glucosamine.She of course gives me that look if I'm slightly late w/ it.But I ran out and my local guy ran out,so I had this organic grain mix,like a scratch for chickens,but for whole barnyard,forget what they call it.But has oats,cracked corn,pelleted something.So she started getting a can of it a day to supplement her grass hay/alfalfa diet.Plus I let her graze almost daily.Anyway she liked it and pretty soon I forgot about the senior mix,liked the organic part,been maybe a month.She's now rather stiff,never seen that in her before,some issues w/ feet before I barefooted her,but not stiff.
Then I started thinking about times when I'd taken glucosamine(I;ve ripped and torn and broken quite a few items in this here body)then forgotten it till I ended up really stiff and sore and realized I'd forgotten it.
So I ran out and bought her more senior yesterday,which she didn't like nearly as much so chickens ate most of it.Any other more natural suggestions?Thank you so much Katie

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2009 :  07:31:38 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Hi Katie!

You can buy powdered glucosamine and condroitin which you can then add to whatever feed she is enjoying the most. You could also try adding a little brown sugar or molasses to the senior feed.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Faransgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

895 Posts

Beth
Houston Texas
USA
895 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2009 :  7:17:46 PM  Show Profile
Katie,
You can get the powder or liquid glucosamine/chondroitin and put it in applesauce and put it on any feed. My gelding loves it that way. Senior feed usually has alot of molasses on it already so for an older horse we always use 12/6 pellets (which you can get from your local coop if you have one) and add applesauce with the necessary supplements. If the stiffness is bad you can also use magnetic bell boots or magnetic ankle bands. If you use the bell boots or ankle bands you aren't messing with their diet. Good luck with your mare. Mine is 24 and still doing riding lessons twice a week.

May the force of the Horse be with you.
Go to Top of Page

mulegirl
True Blue Farmgirl

184 Posts

rosemary
cottonwood pass co
USA
184 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2009 :  7:48:10 PM  Show Profile
We used a liquid CORTA-FLX on our old guys grain. He lived to be two weeks shy of 33. The applesause or molasses on top is a good idea.
Rosemary

smile, follow your heart and don't look back
http://web.mac.com/rosemaryart
Go to Top of Page

KD Earthwork
True Blue Farmgirl

210 Posts

Katie
Gualala Calif.
USA
210 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2009 :  7:59:37 PM  Show Profile
Thanks so much everybody! What a great resource this website is!I will look into those suggestions.Katie
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2009 :  8:37:46 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I think there is a product out there called cosequin that is supposed to be very good and it comes in powdered form.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Glucosamine in Senior Horse Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page