Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 100 broilers to raise............
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic 100 broilers to raise............ Next Topic  

5 acre Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1007 Posts

~~~*Terri*~~~
WA.
USA
1007 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2009 :  10:03:19 PM  Show Profile
I did it this year, I ordered and received my 100 broilers.....
I only lost 10...I thought that was good, considering they are baout the dumbest chicken around.............
Any tips, pointers or ? on how to feed, or ? for them. I am all ears......

Farmgirl Sister #368
"It is most common for man to value most what has least worth."
My Farm and Garden blog....
http://blogonthefarmandgarden.blogspot.com

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2009 :  11:54:06 PM  Show Profile
What kind of chickens did you get? Are they Cornish Cross? Did you lose the 10 in the shipping? ten seems like a pretty big loss. I've done that many in the past and I don't ever remember losing that many right out of the gate. You are right about them being stupid. They also don't move around very much - they just sit and eat. Do you have them in a brooder box with a heat lamp? I always kept them in a large brooder box that we built out of plywood with wood shavings in the bottom and a hooded heat lamp down on top of the box at least for the first couple of weeks depending on the weather. Cornish cross seem to be ultra sensitive to temperature changes. A hundred chickens poop a lot and nothing smells worse than broiler chicken poop in my humble opinion. Keep their water clean and their bedding clean and when you feed or water move slowly as they will puddle in the corner and can suffocate each other. Once they have started getting their feathers I feed chive flowers if they are available as they contain a natural antibiotic which will help to keep them healthy. I wish you good luck.

Sheri
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2009 :  03:28:00 AM  Show Profile
Wow

That's a lot of little peeps!

That's a lot of chicken compost too.

At what age will they be processed?

My extra little roosters sent for warmth need to go by-by, but right now they are only 2 fist size. Randall Burkey sent 8. And that's starting to quickly become 8 too many now.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2009 :  07:31:19 AM  Show Profile
Wow! That is alot of chicken. Are you doing this all for you or going to sell some? I raised 25 a few years ago. We built a triangular teepee type movable pen and after about 3 weeks they were big enuf to go in it. We moved it all around the garden area for them to eat grass and I fed them scraps and a little scratch. They were all ready at about 5 months. Me and a friend butchered about 15 one day. First time I ever chopped the head off myself. After the first one it was no big deal. I was a pro by then. Then me and my hubby did the rest with the grandkids help.

Good luck with them. Just make sure they are able to move around a little but not too much. They get tough if they are allowed to move too much. That was my experience with some I let free-range. Very tough birds. But the ones in the teepee were good and juicy and not too fatty.

We found a picture in Mother Earth on the cover I think of the cage we used and just made one like it. It lasted long enuf to raise some turkeys in it, too.

Kris

Life is what you make it. Always has been. Always will be.
Go to Top of Page

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2009 :  08:05:30 AM  Show Profile
Sheri, I never heard of the chive flower thing. My chives are getting ready to bloom. We won't get our chicks for 2 more months. Can I cut and dry my chive flowers to feed later? How interesting. Can't wait to harvest my chives. Don't take much to get me excited!
Go to Top of Page

twzlrwho
True Blue Farmgirl

199 Posts

christina
dewitt va
USA
199 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2009 :  08:10:33 AM  Show Profile
That does seem like a lot to lose right out of the door. If it were me I would put some pedialyte and poly-vi-sol (baby vitamins) in the water to help boost there systems. I do this for 3 days and taper back. Good Luck! It sounds like alot of chicken pie...mmm mmmm. I can't wait till some of mine reach age.

HUGS

Christina

Work like you don't have to, love like you've never been hurt, and dance like nobody is watching :)
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2009 :  09:11:52 AM  Show Profile
I have never tried to dry the flowers to feed just fresh ones. I learned about it from a friend who was big into Organics long before it became the kitschy thing to do. She also used it on her turkeys. I know they sure like them.

Sheri
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2009 :  09:33:37 AM  Show Profile
Broilers are pretty easy. dont give them any roosts though. If you are doing medicated chick starter stop it after 3 weeks lest you want meds in your food. Put them on a broiler grower after the starter. They are like that one uncle at Thanksgiving Day dinner who does nothing but eat and nap..... that's pretty much all they live for. I process mine out at about 8 weeks otherwise their legs start to give out. By not allowing them to roost I dont get those unsightly breat blisters either. Have fun with them and happy eating!!

Dawn #279
MJ's Heirloom Mavens-QMD
http://harvestthymefarm.etsy.com
http://harvestthyme.blogspot.com
~live big, ride hard, and shoot straight~
Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2009 :  09:58:35 AM  Show Profile
I do 100 at a time as well and will do 3 batches in a good year (weather wise). I raise them pretty much the same way as Dawn...2 weeks on chick starter with a chick multi-vitamin in their water, then 6 weeks on broiler grower. I've never found that they were big on greens, although they were offered it. The only time I had a problem with breast blisters was when we accidently got a mix of floor shavings...NO cedar! Pine only.
The only other thing I can say is if you can get it (and afford it!), use organic feed. The difference in the meat was nothing short of amazing and the overall health of the birds was obvious and mortality rates were halved. Also the fat on them was white as opposed to yellow (too much corn?).

Di on VI
Farmgirl Sister #73
Go to Top of Page

5 acre Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1007 Posts

~~~*Terri*~~~
WA.
USA
1007 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2009 :  10:09:15 PM  Show Profile
Thank you Farmgirl Sisters........... I sure do appreciate your sharing.......
I found there was a 1 by 2 inch hole right in the corner of the brooder I built, don't why or how I missed that,cold air rushing in on the chicks...........they would pile to keep warm, and smash!
The brooder also was not insulated enough....sooooooooooo I got out my wool blankets and wrapped it real well............voila. No more dead chicks...........
I try not to feed any medicated feed, I also use the rations they use for "Joel Salatins", pastured poultry, ours are in movable 8x8' pens, already loving the grass and doing well. I lOVE to hear their contented chirps......
Their feeders are on the ground till they are too tall to just eat, then they go up on little stands..last time I raised these, I took their food away at night, no more flipover disease or legs breaking......will do the same this time...
Again, Thanks for the sharing...........
Pics on my blog...........

Farmgirl Sister #368
"It is most common for man to value most what has least worth."
My Farm and Garden blog....
http://blogonthefarmandgarden.blogspot.com

Edited by - 5 acre Farmgirl on Apr 16 2009 10:10:50 PM
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2009 :  5:25:57 PM  Show Profile
I have never done more than 50 at one time so I will sure love hearing of your adventure. They ARE stupid, but well worth the extra work.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

SheilaC
True Blue Farmgirl

1948 Posts

Sheila
Vermont
USA
1948 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2009 :  7:36:01 PM  Show Profile
We have 50 stinky meat chicks in the garage right now. . .can't wait till they can go to theisr home outside! Whew!
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic 100 broilers to raise............ Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page