Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - May 03 2009 :  06:11:46 AM  Show Profile
I'm making batch number 5 of the crock pot yogurt and I love it. I made some yogurt cheese last week (drained the yogurt by placing it in cheesecloth and let it drain on the refrigerator) with garlic and dill. Yum. :) It was delicious on crackers. I've used plain yogurt cheese in place of sour cream on baked potatoes and it is delicious as well. Plus, adding the old stand-by- strawberries and brown sugar. I love how versatile it is.

Karin

Farmgirl Sister
# 18 :)

www.perfectlittlemiracle.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

farmgirlannie
Farmgirl in Training

24 Posts

Annie
Chehalis Wa
USA
24 Posts

Posted - May 09 2009 :  9:08:17 PM  Show Profile
I have one posted on my blog that I use regularly. You don't need a yogurt maker and it's really easy. It's from the cookbook "Simply in Season" which I highly reccommend.
http://parobinson.wordpress.com/2008/08/30/do-it-yourself-yogurt/
Go to Top of Page

farmgirlannie
Farmgirl in Training

24 Posts

Annie
Chehalis Wa
USA
24 Posts

Posted - May 09 2009 :  9:12:28 PM  Show Profile
Oops I forgot to add. Almost all storebought yogurt contains pectin (even natural organic ones) so homemade yogurt will never have exactly the same consistancy, no matter the fat content of the milk you use.
Go to Top of Page

bboopster
True Blue Farmgirl

1140 Posts

Betty Jo
West Bend Wisconsin
USA
1140 Posts

Posted - May 10 2009 :  08:55:10 AM  Show Profile  Click to see bboopster's MSN Messenger address
OK, I will be making Yogurt today!!!! Would have to buy some as I am all out. Anyone have an easy recipe for kefir? Thank you for the recipes.

http://www.bboopster.blogspot.com
Nana to 1 with 3 on the way.
3 Blue Star Mother and Proud of it!
Pray for our troops to come home safe and soon.
Enjoying the road to the simple life :>)
Go to Top of Page

Mamarude
True Blue Farmgirl

107 Posts

Anna
Durango Colorado
USA
107 Posts

Posted - May 12 2009 :  06:00:46 AM  Show Profile
I did it! I made yogurt in the cooler last night, it wasn't set up when I went to bed, but this morning it is nice and thick! I can't believe I made yogurt! I used milk from our raw milk cowshare, and yogourmet culture, and the cooler/hot water method.
Go to Top of Page

pamcook
True Blue Farmgirl

228 Posts

Pam
Chapel Hill NC
USA
228 Posts

Posted - May 12 2009 :  4:17:12 PM  Show Profile
DD has been making yogurt since I forwarded your recipes to her. 2 y.o. DGD wants a "smoothie" (milk & strawberry yogurt mixed together) as soon as she wakes up every morning - she's saving a ton of money making her own.
I need to try it - just been so busy with my sourdough :) I made butter Friday night after we got home from seeing the new Star Trek movie. Had it with my sourdough bread and then the next morning with our sourdough waffles. My DH is enjoying this new passion of mine.
Maybe I'll get to Whole Foods tomorrow to pick up some milk and Fage yogurt...I'll let you know how mine turns out!

www.ikat.org
www.longaberger.com/pamcook
Go to Top of Page

farm~maid
True Blue Farmgirl

176 Posts

Christine
IN
USA
176 Posts

Posted - May 16 2009 :  04:52:53 AM  Show Profile
I made yogurt yesterday that is perhaps the best I've made yet. Wait, it is the best. It was smooth and almost sweet, although I didn't add anything to sweeten it. I usually use Dannon as I couldn't get Stonyfield Farm Organic. I've read many recommendations for this yogurt. The local grocery store finally had it this week. A bit more expensive, but I can see it's well worth it.
I'm not sure if it's the Stonyfield Farm yogurt or the fact that I had doubled the recipe and only used 2 heaping Tab. of yogurt for culture when I should have used 4. I realized this half way through incubation and I figured I'd just have to let it go. I also didn't skim the cream from the fresh milk.
I'll be making it again this way and will let you know if it was just a one time success or if it's the way I'll be making yogurt.

Christine
Go to Top of Page

GreenMeAlison
Farmgirl in Training

11 Posts

Alison
Longmont CO
USA
11 Posts

Posted - May 19 2009 :  08:21:50 AM  Show Profile
I know this may sound crazy, but anyone ever made a non-dairy yogurt? I've been thinking about making some with coconut milk (they sell a coconut yogurt, but it is 2 bucks for 8oz!) and the starter I've seen at the store is dairy based.

(Trust me I'd make real dairy yogurt if I could, but I am lactose intolerant and allergic to caesin...so dairy is a big no no for me!) As it is I may try the earlier crockpot yogurt with the coconut yogurt as a starter...

Alison

Suburban tree hugger with three hearts: one on the farm, one in the city, and one in the woods!

http://www.greenme.vg
Go to Top of Page

pamcook
True Blue Farmgirl

228 Posts

Pam
Chapel Hill NC
USA
228 Posts

Posted - May 19 2009 :  4:54:56 PM  Show Profile
wow - if you try it, be sure to let us know how it turns out. At $8 a pop, I supposed it would be worth it the one time to get your culture and start making your own. A non-dairy recipe would be great for a lot of folks.

www.ikat.org
www.longaberger.com/pamcook
Go to Top of Page

GreenMeAlison
Farmgirl in Training

11 Posts

Alison
Longmont CO
USA
11 Posts

Posted - May 20 2009 :  06:47:10 AM  Show Profile
Okay -- I made the coconut yogurt and it WORKED! I just ate a bowl with fresh strawberries and a little honey for breakfast!

Here is a picture of the yogurt still in my crock:

http://www.greenme.vg/2009/05/20/homemade-yogurt-vegan-yogurt-too/

I didn't publish my recipe on my blog yet as it likely still needs tweaked, but I basically followed Christine's and used coconut.

Five 14 oz cans of coconut milk and one 8 oz coconut yogurt (rather than 1/2 cup) as a starter. And 1 tablespoon arrowroot powder that I added to the milk while it was in the cooking stage. Not sure if it is the nature of the coconut milk or my crock pot, but it took a little over 3 hours to get to 180F, which I did just cause that seems like good advice!

Thanks everyone for your inspiration!

Alison

Suburban tree hugger with three hearts: one on the farm, one in the city, and one in the woods!

http://www.greenme.vg
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - May 20 2009 :  06:57:44 AM  Show Profile
Oh Alison thank you! I can't wait to try this :)

~Sharon

By His Grace, For His Glory

http://merryheartjournal.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

pamcook
True Blue Farmgirl

228 Posts

Pam
Chapel Hill NC
USA
228 Posts

Posted - May 20 2009 :  12:53:14 PM  Show Profile