mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2009 :  08:13:23 AM  Show Profile
Does anyone have free-ranging chickens and a dog, cohabitating successfully?

Farmgirl Sister #98

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2009 :  08:16:10 AM  Show Profile
Yes to that I had 12 chickens 2 ducks and 3 dogs and 2 cats.
Never a problem.

Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2009 :  08:22:10 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Well Sherri- you met Sky. She is the least likely dog to ever hurt any thing bigger than a mouse. When I worked at the ranch, she roamed lose and they had free range chickens. The only one she ever attacked was the rooster because it kept attacking her first. She would ignore it until she couldn't take it anymore, then she would pin it to the ground snarl at it and then let it up. She never even bit it!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com

Edited by - Alee on Apr 14 2009 4:20:46 PM
Go to Top of Page

twzlrwho
True Blue Farmgirl

199 Posts

christina
dewitt va
USA
199 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2009 :  08:40:07 AM  Show Profile
I think the success depends on the breed of dog and LOTS of training (in my case another fence). I have not had any success with my German Shepherd yet my pit-bull, rottie, and pound puppy mix are fine. I can not let her out without supervision. It has been very frustrating here and in time with training I hope I can brake her. This is also the only dog I have that has been to tons of obedience classes and passed with flying colors so I am at a loss. I hope you have better luck than I and I hope you don't accumulate the losses that I have along the way (40 chickens to date).

Good Luck
Hugs

Christina

Work like you don't have to, love like you've never been hurt, and dance like nobody is watching :)
Go to Top of Page

southerncrossgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

631 Posts

Gena
Harmony NC
USA
631 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2009 :  09:42:43 AM  Show Profile
I agree with Christina. I have a Great Pyrenes that just ignores all the animals, but I also have a Bernese Mountain dog that given the opportunity would kill chickens, goats etc... I do believe it has alot to do with what breed

"A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes"==Cinderella
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2009 :  10:42:45 AM  Show Profile
We have a mini doxie (not worried about her!) and a Border collie. I am worried about him! I was at dd's bf's house yesterday - he has a flock of free range chickens and I just happened to be looking at the door when a stray dog - Heinz 57 type - came running up behinc his flock. The chickens started running and the dog chased them. I couldn't tell if he was just playing or if he had more serious intentions. Pete took off out the backdoor like a shot and chased the dog off, so I don't know what would have happened. Buddy, our Border collie is very friendly, but he is possessive too, so I'm not sure what to expect.

Farmgirl Sister #98
Go to Top of Page

mellaisbella
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

melanie
living on Anne of Green Gables land
Canada
1862 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2009 :  11:28:11 AM  Show Profile
my border collie doesn't bother with the chickens, but my lab mix killed four....good luck!

"we must be the change we wish to see in the world"
farmgal #150
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2009 :  12:28:40 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the info Melanie - I'm hoping he'll just try to herd them!

Farmgirl Sister #98
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2009 :  12:55:14 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
My suggestion would be to tie a long rope around your dog's collar and then let him go but don't leave him unattended with the rope still attached! That way if he tried to attack the chickens, you could always just grab the dragging rope and pull him away.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com

Edited by - Alee on Apr 14 2009 4:20:26 PM
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2009 :  1:12:37 PM  Show Profile
Great idea Alee!

Farmgirl Sister #98
Go to Top of Page

K-Falls Farmgirl
Chapter Leader

2096 Posts

Cheryl
Klamath Falls Oregon
USA
2096 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2009 :  4:03:39 PM  Show Profile
I have two dogs a cockapoo and a 5 month old lab/border collie and They do not bother the hens, The puppy goes out with me every time I enter the hen house & I just started telling him "NO Touch".. He totally ignores them now. I think it was a good idea to have him with me when I fed , watered & worked around them. We did the same thing when baby birds were hopping around in the grass last summer with our 2 year old cockapoo.. just told him "NO touch.",. So far so good..The will both just sit & watch them.

Cheryl
Farmgirl #309
Klamath Falls "Charming Chicks Chapter" Mother Hen

Almost daily posts at:
http://www.k-fallsfarmgirl.blogspot.com/
Come visit the barn at http://barndoorcreations.blogspot.com/

Grandmas are mom's with more icing.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2009 :  4:34:36 PM  Show Profile
I have a yellow Lab named Bubba. The chickens and guineas are all over my yard and he never looks at them until someone comes up the driveway. Then all h*** breaks loose! He thinks he has to round them all up and get them back in the chicken yard. He runs them up and down the fence til they are all back in. Then he goes and lays down like he's done his job and he's takin' a break. He has never hurt them. But when the ducks were younger he got a hold of one of them and tore it up bad. He didn't kill it, but had all the feathers off the back with skin showing. Poor duck. I nursed it back and it's fine today. I guess the lab instinct kicked in for a few minutes that time. He thought he was a bird dog.

Kris

Life is what you make it. Always has been. Always will be.
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2009 :  10:16:42 PM  Show Profile
LOL Kristin - I want to come up your driveway just to experience the commotion!

Farmgirl Sister #98
Go to Top of Page

paradiseplantation
True Blue Farmgirl

1277 Posts

julie
social springs community Louisiana
USA
1277 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2009 :  05:21:40 AM  Show Profile
Hi, Sherri! Yep. We had three 'city' dogs when we moved in, and the previous owner left all her chickens. It took a while, but we finally trained them 'No Chase!' Fortunately, they never killed any of them, but they certainly LOVED to chase them! Now, the chickens and guineas just about walk over them to get to food, and the dogs don't even flinch!

from the hearts of paradise...
Go to Top of Page

KansasConnie
True Blue Farmgirl

69 Posts

Connie
Atchison County Kansas
USA
69 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2009 :  2:39:15 PM  Show Profile
Our coonhounds aren't a problem at all (except for occassionally stealing eggs)--but I do have to keep an eye on neighboring dogs that sneak in. I've lost three hens in as many weeks to dogs.

Kansas Connie
Go to Top of Page

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2009 :  2:58:09 PM  Show Profile
We have 3 dogs and free range chickens and it seemed to be all in the attitude of the chickens and the dogs don't bother with them...now cats are a different story. What to do with the "nest" of kittens we just found in our hay is beyond me! This is a recurring issue and never ends pretty.

Jami in WA

Farmgirl Sister #266
http://cookecreeksheep.blogspot.com
http://cookecreekwool.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

PineConeAcres
Farmgirl in Training

31 Posts

USA
31 Posts

Posted - May 27 2009 :  5:50:00 PM  Show Profile
German Shepherds I find are very hard to train to not attack the chickens. I have two of them and the one female still tries to eat my chickens. The male has finally strted leaving the chickens alone. What I did was if they killed a chicken I'd tie the dead chicken to their necks and chain them up with it. Leave them with it for about a week but make sure they cannot eat it!
Go to Top of Page

happydaze
True Blue Farmgirl

136 Posts

lorraine
atlanta ni
USA
136 Posts

Posted - May 28 2009 :  1:13:45 PM  Show Profile
I have 4 mini doxies, 2 of them are real bunny butt biters, and chicken chompers, the other 2 are fine. Our XL German Shepard just likes to herd them all around except the roosters who he feels obliged to kill. They seem to try to be alpa male, I guess. Any how, we keep chicken and guinias in large fenced yards...Hubbys rule not mine, I feel the dogs should be in the large fenced yard, but thats another story
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - May 28 2009 :  1:43:39 PM  Show Profile
Boy is that a loaded question...

I have had many Great Pry's over the years and they all hate birds that fly and will kill them if they get the chance. As for chickens I would say half of them protect the chickens and half would make them dinner. I have two llamas who try to stomp on the chickens and Llama boy who naps with them. I also have goats who go out of their way to chase them and others who love that the hens will pick off loose fiber. So the moral of the story is just like people we all react differntly.

I would never leave them alone because nature might not work out in favor of the chicken.... With that being said you can read about my guard hen who would take on dog, llama, and people posted today on my blog....

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Beverley
True Blue Farmgirl

2707 Posts

Beverley
atlanta Michigan
USA
2707 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2009 :  5:21:18 PM  Show Profile
one of my doxies killed my chicken today so I don't trust them. But I have a newfie and a golden mix and they don't even bother them at all, so I agree with grace it just all depends. and I really liked the chicken they killed too. It was my favorite. and the other day the other favorite I had got carried off by something. We just found feathers. so I have no more favorite ones....

Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog....Charles F. Doran
beverley baggett Beverley with an extra E...
http://bevsdoggies.googlepages.com/
Go to Top of Page

Runbikegrrl
True Blue Farmgirl

250 Posts

MaryAnn
Waterbury Ctr VT
USA
250 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2009 :  5:37:20 PM  Show Profile
My Jack Russell has killed several flocks...I have given up for the time being until I can afford some good fencing and even then I will have to keep an eye out because he is a digger. In addition to my chickens he also killed my neighbors entire flock when he got loose...twice. They were not free range...he killed them right in the hen house...busted through the wire and glass to do it. I paid for all damages. If it happens again the game warden will take him. My rottie lab mix on the other hand doesn't do anything but chase them...unless she is with him and then she get caught up in the whole thing.

"So many interests so little time!"

http://lovelifelivegrrl.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

AlyssaMarie
True Blue Farmgirl

287 Posts

AlyssaMarie
Palouse Washington
USA
287 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2009 :  10:08:32 AM  Show Profile
We are just starting out with our flock of 25 chickens and our mixed breed pound puppy who just turned 1 year. We've been letting the chickens free range and the dog only goes out on a long line tied out unless she's on a leash with us. We've had some issues when the chickens walk up to the dog, and then she tries to go after them. We've been working with a trainer to help us train her to be a good farm dog. So far we've had no losses or injuries. I figure the chickens probably have to learn to stay away as well.

AlyssaMarie @ Link'd Hearts Ranch
Go to Top of Page

RedHoopWoman
True Blue Farmgirl

513 Posts

Kathryn
Yoder Colorado
USA
513 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2009 :  04:08:44 AM  Show Profile
I think alot of it depends on how well trained and behaved the dog is in your presence,if he doesn't come by voice commands and if what he wants to do on impulse overrides what you want him to do then you might want to get that taken care of before teaching him how to behave around livestock,if you're certain that your dog will stop a certain behavior and respond to you exactly when given orders then you could begin introducing your dog to the chickens walking around loose.
If he starts to chase or start looking interested in an improper way then call him back,use one of the commands he knows such as "sit",etc..then start over,just keep him supervised so that he knows absolutely that he is not to bother those chickens.
I'm not a huge fan of dogs but I grew up around alot of good working dogs on my Father's ranch,the types of dogs that helped you in working your cattle herd and I remember that the trainers/owners were very strict and disciplined,quick to correct behavior and had a programmed set of commands that the dogs absolutely had to follow or he was considered "no good" and likely to end up shot,especially if he ever hazed a horse or killed livestock,these were unforgiveable acts for a dog and great care was taken to bring them up right so that these were not problems.
We have a border collie/Icelandic sheepdog mix that's still a puppy and when introduced to the free range chickens he looked as though he was about to give chase but I reprimanded him firmly and called him back and made it very clear to him that he wasn't allowed to do that,this took several times and then he settled down and leaves them be.
Again,I think you have to have basic respect to commands and to their owners instilled in them before you can expect them to remain in control when put to the test,if you have that with your dog then I would give it a try and see how things work out.

"Today's Mighty Oak is just Yesterday's Nut"
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Free range chickens + dog? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page