StasiaSpins
True Blue Farmgirl

78 Posts

Stasia
Augusta (Eau Claire) WI
USA
78 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2009 :  9:51:32 PM  Show Profile
I just finished reading (listening to) "The Forgotten Garden" by Kate Morton and I really enjoyed it. Has anyone else read it, or any of the author's other books?

It reminded me of "The Secret Garden" combined with Rosamunde Pilcher's style, along with something a little darker... In fact, a reviewer at Amazon wrote this, and I completely agree with the reference to Possession (a favorite book, much better than the movie, tho' the film was quite good):

"The novel is punctuated here and there with some of Eliza's short stories, which provide wonderful little interludes, kind of like AS Byatt's Possession, in a way. Possession, mixed with a little bit of The Secret Garden. We're even introduced to Frances Hodgeson Burnett, suggesting that she might have received inspiration for The Secret Garden from Eliza and Rose's garden. "

The chapters take place in different countries (the UK, Australia, the US) and times (Edwardian through today) while characters unravel secrets about their pasts; it all ties together, even the parts that are the fairytales created by a character called The Authoress.

http://www.amazon.com/Forgotten-Garden-Novel-Kate-Morton/dp/1416550542/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1239511648&sr=8-1

http://www.TuppinzFarm.com Heritage Sheep ~ Goats ~ Donkeys ~ Poultry
http://YarnAndABarn.blogspot.com Spinning ~ Knitting ~ Weaving ~ Quilting ~ Crocheting

Edited by - StasiaSpins on Apr 11 2009 9:58:05 PM

carolbrigid
True Blue Farmgirl

263 Posts

Carol
Glen Burnie Maryland
USA
263 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2009 :  12:59:46 PM  Show Profile  Send carolbrigid a Yahoo! Message
No Stasia, I haven't read it but I put it on my Wish List on Amazon because it sounded really good. Thanks for sharing your review! Makes me want to order it.

Farmgirl Hugs,
Carol

Farmgirl Sister #222
Member, Crafty Bay Farmgirl Chapter
Go to Top of Page

vintagediva1
True Blue Farmgirl

1251 Posts

Michele
Brighton Michigan
USA
1251 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2009 :  10:44:01 AM  Show Profile
the library list just keeps growing and growing......
Michele

www.2vintagedivas.etsy.com

Love that good ole vintage junk
Go to Top of Page

laluna
True Blue Farmgirl

295 Posts

New York
USA
295 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2009 :  1:28:43 PM  Show Profile
Since you liken it to Possession (one of my favorite books) and Pilcher (one of my favorite "guilty pleasure" writers - The Shellseekers is my favorite!), I've added it to my library request list as well. Can't wait to have some good books on my table again!

"I believe in God, only I spell it Nature." -- Frank Lloyd Wright
Go to Top of Page
  Reading Room: Previous Topic The Forgotten Garden Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page