Farmgirl at Heart

8 Posts

Kelly
Cleveland TN
USA
8 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2009 :  07:43:16 AM  Show Profile
Hello Farmgirls

12 May - So here is the latest on Grandma's stuff, only part of the shipment made it and much to my shigrin (sp?) the antique buttons are still there. I have called and mentioned several items that I remember sorting last year that did not come. I send my apologies to the many farmgirls who were so looking forward to buttons. I am not happy that they didn't make it either but what can I do except to move on to all the stuff that did arrive! Mostly fabric and pieces of fabric that has been stored and smelled like it.
So here's a question did ruin the fabric by washing it to remove the smell?

I could not in my right mind try to sell or trade for anything that smelled so I did, plus I needed to inspect everything to insect and rodent damage, fading, and of course if Grandma had used it. I am nearly done washing all the fabric save for a few things that she marked "dry clean only" one of which is a beautiful red velvet that I have not fully opened to instpect but looks nice so far.

My intentions are to measure and photograph the material hopefully getting started next week when I finish a final exam and final paper for my psychology class, leaving me with only my Literature course for the next month YEAH.

I will try to include other descriptions about the material like what I think it is and how it feels. She had some "ecclectic" or pretty wild tast - perhaps those were the fabrics from the 70's. Grandma was a wonderful seamstress and I am looking forward to sharing peices of her with each of you.

Thank you and again I am so sorry about not receiving the buttons. I will make post for them when I do finally get them.

25 April - The truck is loaded to capacity and is supposed to arrive some time on Sunday. My plan is to spend some time going through things and taking pictures next week while looking into an ETSY account. Does anyone have any suggestions about this? I have just attempted to insert a photo on this page but have been unsuccessful so far. Anyway hopefully I can spend time getting things right next week.

We look forward to selling and bartering with you all.
Kelly and Grandma

23 April - Shipment is due to arrive this weekend, we are hoping for beautiful weather and safe travels. Grandma will not be accompanying the shipment for a visit as we had hoped. She has a "Heart Fund" at her home every May and the date is too close for her to come visit. We are hoping she will come home with us in September after my sister's wedding before the weather cools too much and holidays arrive. She is glad to know that her things will be put to use instead of stored collecting dust or trashed. We are discussing the options for barter, trade, and selling the items. Your patients and shared knowledge will be greatly appreciated as we move forward with our exchanges. This is all happening so quickly and I'm excited in so many ways.

Right now I have 2 papers to write for my classes and final exams so I'll end here to focus on them. Thank you again for your interest.

Kelly

15 April - Taxes are submitted! What a relief! Training for this job is almost finished, college classes only seven more to go to finish this degree by Dec 09, and we've been narrowing the dates for shipment of Grandma's projects...

My brother who was laid off from work has decide that this would be a great filler job and he could really enjoy the travel from his home in CO to visit our family in OK and then us here in TN. I'm super excited to see him as it has been nearly a year. He is planning to ride his bike home, a cross country trip that will be amazing and hopefully safe for him.

Final dates will be posted soon. Thank you all for your patience.
Kelly

Thank you all for the emails and I will be working on reply's. Just started a new job this week - training for the U.S. Census. It's only a temporary position but will greatly help when I haven't had a job in so long.

To give a little more information on some of the emails I have read...

1. I am in east TN and Grandma's projects are still in OK. So I will not be able to get pictures until a later date.

2. I am not a fabric expert so I will only post photo's of the fabric for you to have fun identifying wool and decade specific material - or like me picking out what is pretty!

3. Other "STUFF" as mentioned will be things like (I'm pulling from memory no so please bear with me) - Wooden embroidery holders of various sizes (i.e. 2' oblong to 2" circular, and in between), macrame (rope, beads, patterns), crafting kits (pillow case dolls, embroidery, sock toys, etc. some new, some she has done but the patterns are there), also some jewelery beads form peices that have come apart, Craft book collection (unknown authors - will get more info later), my braining is beginning to swim now so I'll stop here.

We are currently working out the details of getting all of this moved from OK hopefully in the next month. I hope this does not deter any of you, but that is the time line and I just want you to know up front plus I'd like to get an idea of the level of interest.

I will definitely email each of those who PM'd me.

Thank you all for your interest as I love the thought of Grandma's "stuff" getting to some ladies who will enjoy making it into something fun, sweet, pretty, usable, etc. I will also let her know and update this so you will know what she says.

There is a time and season for everything...

Kelly

As Grandma has been collecting projects to do through the years she now has an overabundance and has decided to reduce her inventory. She has lots of material from from the 1950-1980's, red heart yarn, macrame, antique buttons and so much more. If anyone is interested please send me a Private Message as I am on my email daily.

If I had the room to store her collection I would never have to buy anything myself; since the economy has changed our home is on hold until I finish this degree and get a job. I should be finished this winter 2009!

Thank you for your interest and I look forward to sharing my Grandmothers things with those who are creative and crafty.

All the best

Proverbs 31:10-31
May we all be blessed.
KDH

Edited by - Humberd Customs on May 12 2009 1:38:52 PM

SuzieQ
True Blue Farmgirl

175 Posts

Suzie
Texas
USA
175 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2009 :  8:25:48 PM  Show Profile
Can you scan some pictures of the material from the 50's
Go to Top of Page

Especially For You
True Blue Farmgirl

541 Posts

Tina
Watkinsville GA
541 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2009 :  04:57:04 AM  Show Profile
I e-mailed you also.

Tina
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2009 :  07:02:24 AM  Show Profile
I did, too. We live so close I could drive over and look.

Kris

Life is what you make it. Always has been. Always will be.
Go to Top of Page

kpaints
True Blue Farmgirl

1564 Posts

karen
cheney wa
1564 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2009 :  07:16:06 AM  Show Profile  Send kpaints an AOL message
I'm interested, I'll email.

Find your joy and live it. http://cheneybaglady.blogspot.com/http://www.kpaints.etsy.com http://www.thevintagebaglady.etsy.com FG #377
Go to Top of Page

tamer08
True Blue Farmgirl

93 Posts

Tami
Spearfish SD
USA
93 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2009 :  7:36:58 PM  Show Profile
I e-mailed you...Tami
Go to Top of Page

tamer08
True Blue Farmgirl

93 Posts

Tami
Spearfish SD
USA
93 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2009 :  08:50:32 AM  Show Profile
Count me in...I have stuff that my Grandmother left behind that I finished or made stuff with and it is such a treasure knowing that it came from her. I love the old stuff and knowing that it is loved by someone just not able to be used. Thanks for all the info and let your Grandmother know that whatever farmgirl gets her things they will be loved and cherished. Thanks
Tami
Go to Top of Page
  *Farmgirl Barter™: Previous Topic Half the shipment Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page