Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Money Managing Next Topic  

bohemiangel
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Bridget
Ligonier pa
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2009 :  3:21:09 PM  Show Profile  Send bohemiangel an AOL message  Click to see bohemiangel's MSN Messenger address  Send bohemiangel a Yahoo! Message
I have been paying off everything. I'm caught up. I was just curious how you all manage your money. Any frugal things you live by? Anything you must have? Any tips or thoughts?

**~~Farmgirl Sister #60~~**
"... to thine ownself be true."

http://liggybitsandpieces.blogspot.com/
http://ligonierliving.blogspot.com/

lisamarie508
True Blue Farmgirl

2648 Posts

Lisa
Idaho City ID
USA
2648 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2009 :  3:40:09 PM  Show Profile
If you don't have the money for it, don't use a credit card to buy it. If you want it bad enough, you'll scrimp and save and buy it outright later. Then there's the: do I need it or do I just want it? thing. If I need it, but still don't have the money for it, I'll find a way to get by without until I save enough to get it. If it's just a want; I have to prioritize and it has to go after the needs on the list (an actual list I can see).

Farmgirl Sister #35

"If you can not do great things, do small things in a great way." Napoleon Hill (1883-1970)

my blog:
http://lisamariesbasketry.blogspot.com/

My apron website:
http://lisamariesaprons.bravehost.com
Go to Top of Page

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2009 :  3:42:46 PM  Show Profile
We are doing like you. We used our taxes to pay things off or catch things up. Now, we are trying to only buy what we need or what we can afford. Credit cards are NOT an option. Once the job gets set, we are hoping to be able to put a little away each week for emergencies and what not.
:)
hugs

Jessie
Farmgirl Sister #235

"You are my strength when I am weak. You are the treasure that I seek. You are my all in all. Seeking You as a precious jewel; Lord, to give up I'd be a fool. You are my all in all."

Stop by my blog for a visit www.messiejessie2.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2009 :  3:44:23 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Well, we worked really hard to pay down 4 smaller amounts in 4 months. We cut WAAAAAAAYYYYY back on eating out and put that amount into each account. We now are down to 3 cc's and the vehicles. We live like broke college students but with better stuff!! HA!! We live VERY simple. We don't own a lot or want a lot. We someday will get a smallish house, put in a garden and our splurge will be a pool. Hubby someday wants a Harley and we love to take trips- weekend or longer. Also, education is very important. We save money by not being ruled by the Jone's. We pretty much wear jeans and t-shirts all the time, unless at work, I wear corporate clothing but I keep it pretty simple. I keep to a $50 a week food budget, I buy out of season for Charlie's clothes, which I buy 2 sizes bigger for the next season. Again, I keep it simple. Jeans, khackis, plain t-shirts. We do splurge on Harley t-shirts for hubby but we balance that with those slip on Walmart shoes he likes for $12 @ 2 a year. I do my own hair, cutting it 4 times a year. I do like my pedicures because my feet take a beating and it is my down time. 1x a year, hubby gets me the full spa treatment for my birthday. When we do by something, I check out all my favorite stores, use coupons, ask for military discounts and try to frequent the local shops. Even though are cc payments have dropped, we are STILL paying what we paid a year ago. Slowly getting there. My college is paid for through my GI BILL but I budget to live on just hubby's paycheck. I keep a payoff list on the wall. The stuff in PINK is paid off. It is very motivating. We also sold off as much as we could that we were not using. In the past year, we made about $1400. Easier to move, live and it was a nice $$$ to the account. : )

Heather

Yee-Haw, I am a cowgirl!!!
Go to Top of Page

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2009 :  3:48:07 PM  Show Profile
Heather--I would love to know what is on your $50.00 a week grocery list. We tried that for a while, but found that the food we had on their (I got it off of a website on line) wasn't stuff we really cared to eat and it got wasted anyways.
Being as our families are about the same size (plus one toddler here) I am thoroughly intrigued!..lol
hugs

Jessie
Farmgirl Sister #235

"You are my strength when I am weak. You are the treasure that I seek. You are my all in all. Seeking You as a precious jewel; Lord, to give up I'd be a fool. You are my all in all."

Stop by my blog for a visit www.messiejessie2.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

bohemiangel
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Bridget
Ligonier pa
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2009 :  3:55:33 PM  Show Profile  Send bohemiangel an AOL message  Click to see bohemiangel's MSN Messenger address  Send bohemiangel a Yahoo! Message
Yeah that was appealing! Do share :)

Its funny I was never ever in my life taught about money or how to manage it...school or family.....I'm not blaming anyone but rather started to research and educate myself. I was falling into the debt at 20 something category and did NOT want to be that. It's funny how we "NEED" all these things but have to keep chasing something else. That bugged me and I have since stopped. I didn't buy anything since christmas other than food or needs and just recently splurged on a used workout dvd set :) I have eyed it up for 2 years. You know what else made me go aha! I was playing video games (1 facebook one and 1 wii) where you earn currency and buy things. I was like ok so save up and you get what you want and be patient and work at it. Sad to say it made me realize more.....

Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2009 :  5:29:34 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Usual weekly grocery lists:
1. Loaf bread- whatever is on sale but healthy
2. Milk- 2% organic- 1/2 gallon or gallon if on sale.
3. Special K bars
4. 2- 4 packs of yogurt with probiotics in it
5. Package shredded cheese
6. Ham or Turkey lunch meat
7. Whatever vegetables or fruits on sale. I focus my meals on these items.
8. 2 kids juices
9. Pepperoni
10. Box of crackers
11. Eggs

Stock up- Frozen vegetables- whatever is on sale. I usually get corn on the cob, green beans, okra and brussel sprouts. I just keep check. A big bag last about 3-4 weeks.

Meats- I buy the bulk packages of ground beef, turkey, chicken parts, chicken breasts. I come home and break them down. Again, I buy as I run out.

Pasta- again, as needed. Aboro rice...as needed.

Butter- as needed and on sale.

3x a year, I stock up on the largest containers of Peanut Butter, Jelly, condiments, olives on sale, pickles on sale, olive oil, salt, pepper. I take about $40-$50 to do this. Once a month, I buy a HUGE bag of dog food. Cleaning supplies are vinegar and baking soda and I make my own laundry detergent. I also stock up shampoo/conditioner, soap, deodorant, Charlie's baby wash, lotion, hair color every 4 months. (TIP on hair color- go to Sally's Beauty Supply and buy the large bottles of processing creme and the tubes of colors. MUCH cheaper) This is NOT part of my regular "grocery" list but I do limit this to $250 a year.

Initial set up runs a little more, but once I get ahead on pasta, frozen food etc...it is just all about maintenance. I work with what is on sale and the occasional coupon or BYGOF, BYG2F, etc. I occassionally run over but I limit myself to a $65 cut off. SOme weeks I spend $35 some weeks it is up to $60. I try to stay below $50. We don't eat a lot of processed foods anymore and splurge is something like ice cream.

I am sure I could have explained it better but I am packing for my trip. I will try to edit later.

Heather

Yee-Haw, I am a cowgirl!!!
Go to Top of Page

lisamarie508
True Blue Farmgirl

2648 Posts

Lisa
Idaho City ID
USA
2648 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2009 :  7:23:40 PM  Show Profile
Heather, in looking at your list, I can see a few things that can save even more. I buy the blocks of cheese, cut it in half and freeze half and slice/shred the other half as needed. Lunch meat, I buy a hunk of ham or turkey and slice it myself. It is MUCH cheaper. Same with roast beef. I cook a roast and slice it up. I buy the cheap hair color, Revlon Colorsilk, at $2.50 a box (used to be under $2 before the gas crunch) every 2 months. Same one I've been using for 16 years, now. Wow, I never counted the years out before. Dang it! That makes me feel old! I shouldn't have done that. Anyway, I'll bet some of the other gals have more ideas.

Farmgirl Sister #35

"If you can not do great things, do small things in a great way." Napoleon Hill (1883-1970)

my blog:

My apron website:
Go to Top of Page

Beverley
True Blue Farmgirl

2707 Posts

Beverley
atlanta Michigan
USA
2707 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2009 :  8:07:01 PM  Show Profile
I'll tell ya what is a biggie in my house is no credit cards. if we can't pay cash we don't buy it. I have found we get along fine and it makes us more creative. We figure out another way to do it instead of buying it out right. I know that probably doesn't make sence but it does work out. I have to say I actually am much happier since we have been doing this cause I don't feel like I owe everyone. It is very freeing!!!! and when places call to sell us something or to tell us how to get a better credit rating, I just laugh and say don't care about a credit rating anymore and hang up. It feels good. We are a bit older and we don't plan on moving and we pay cash for any cars we get so we really don't care about the credit rating anymore.

Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog....Charles F. Doran
beverley baggett Beverley with an extra E...
http://bevsdoggies.googlepages.com/
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2009 :  11:00:09 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Bridget- You might want to go visit the Nifty Thrifty section of the forum- we have a great discussion going on about just this type of thing too!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

bohemiangel
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Bridget
Ligonier pa
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2009 :  09:09:24 AM  Show Profile  Send bohemiangel an AOL message  Click to see bohemiangel's MSN Messenger address  Send bohemiangel a Yahoo! Message
Oh thanks Alee, I have been stalking around in there :-p

The cheese block idea is FABULOUS! I think I will have to try that out.

Go to Top of Page

lisamarie508
True Blue Farmgirl

2648 Posts

Lisa
Idaho City ID
USA
2648 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2009 :  10:21:55 AM  Show Profile
Bridget, the only drawback with freezing cheese is that Mozzarella tends to crumble rather than shred after it's frozen. Hard cheeses are no problem at all.

Farmgirl Sister #35

my blog:

My apron website:
Go to Top of Page

harmonyfarm
True Blue Farmgirl

785 Posts

Debbie
Southeastern Ohio
USA
785 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2009 :  11:50:15 AM  Show Profile
CASH AND CARRY!

Debbie

"If you can't find the time to do it right...how will you find the time to do it over"
Go to Top of Page

knittingmom
True Blue Farmgirl

665 Posts

AnneMarie
Edmonton Alberta
Canada
665 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2009 :  1:18:54 PM  Show Profile
If you don't have the cash to pay out right don't buy it (that's what I'm learning). Also don't go grocery shopping hungry (I know that's an old advice but it's true).

"There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world"
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Money Managing Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page