Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Recession cuts in your career or no job?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Recession cuts in your career or no job? Next Topic  

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2009 :  11:49:28 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
My heart goes out to all the farmgirls that have had impacts from the recession especially losing a job or not being able to find a new one.

One thing I wanted to throw out there was

Have you considered going back to school? Some careers (especially nursing) is at a really high demand right now. I saw advertised that here in Montana, some hospitals are offering a 9 month tenure track for their nurses! A guarenteed for life job in 9 months! That is amazing. Plus the pay is great.

So while I don't advocate running up student debt needlessly, when going to school you could get student loans. I know it wouldn't pay 100% of the bills for the whole year, but we get a decent percentage back for living expenses and we sure look forward to that boost in our family economy. It usually helps buy at least a thousand dollars in food (twice a year) and bills and rent for a couple of months.

Since Doug is employeed that really takes a lot of the day to day stress out.

If you don't have a campus near by or don't have time or money to take kids to daycare for example, ask you schools if they have a online degree program or how much you can do online. The online courses have been getting a lot better over that last few years and I am surprised at how much can be done at home now! I have done 2 full semesters 100% home with Nora! It has been great- hard at times- but great.

Anyway just wanted to throw that idea out there. Using school to get a better degree and getting into a solid career which would pay off the debt incurred getting the degree might be a good way to ride this storm out.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com

lisamarie508
True Blue Farmgirl

2648 Posts

Lisa
Idaho City ID
USA
2648 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2009 :  11:55:56 AM  Show Profile
Alee, there are also some schools that have daycare facilities on campus because the face of the student body has changed so dramatically over the past couple decades. The "non-traditional student" doesn't stand out as much in the crowd anymore.

Farmgirl Sister #35

"If you can not do great things, do small things in a great way." Napoleon Hill (1883-1970)

my blog:
http://lisamariesbasketry.blogspot.com/

My apron website:
http://lisamariesaprons.bravehost.com
Go to Top of Page

knittingmom
True Blue Farmgirl

665 Posts

AnneMarie
Edmonton Alberta
Canada
665 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2009 :  1:55:49 PM  Show Profile
That's a great suggestion Alee.

For those Canadian farmgirls our Employment Insurance (EI) also aids in retraining resources.

"There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world"
Go to Top of Page

vermont v
True Blue Farmgirl

194 Posts

Victoria
Chester Vermont
USA
194 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2009 :  3:36:49 PM  Show Profile

As a nursing professor at a small college here in Vermont I can tell you nursing is a great career ! Our state has some reimbursement for loans if you work in Vermont for two years and many hospitals will assist wuth loan repayment. Most of my students are non traditional and my students range in age from 21 to 61! Graduation is in June and most of my students have gotten job offers. Most of my students have jobs and children; a few even have cows and horses! Our nurses care for the people they know in our community hospitals and rehab facilities.
Go to Top of Page

idsweetie72
True Blue Farmgirl

129 Posts

Sandra
New Meadows idaho
USA
129 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2009 :  8:54:14 PM  Show Profile
Hi ya'll, going back to school is a wonderful idea! Where we live the only realistic option is online- and I have been looking at that- graphic design- I think I would be really great at that. But then again- I have started taking a few photo's here and there- and today I was asked how much I charged for a sitting fee! People have been telling me to put out my 'shingle' and do one of the things I love- my issue is confidence! lol
But on the economy- my husband is self employed, and has been for over 18 years- he is in his 50's, (20 year's between us)- and he has NEVER been out of work- in fact he has always been 1 or 2 months out for scheduling- and now the phone hasn't rung in over a month- a few regular snow customers have kept him busy 8 hours a week- but that's all- and the unemployment rate for our area is over 12%- we are in a depression- not a recession- (IMO)
So things are tight- but we are making do!
Good luck to everyone job searching!

Mazy Day Farm
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2009 :  10:59:01 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I was a bit hesitant to mention this as I know incurring more debt can be a sour pill to swallow (oh have I gone rounds with that decision) and it isn't right for everyone, but if you choose a job market that needs people- like nursing and teaching to name two- you stand a good chance to not only pay off the debt but continue on in your career. Another good one is Accounting. The two colleges here in Billings both have a "as near to 100% as is statistically possible(like 99.99%" Hire upon graduation rate! That is good news for me!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2009 :  05:52:27 AM  Show Profile
In our family, three out of the five of us lost jobs last year, my husband included. He now works for the Post Office as a temporary employee at almost 2/3 less of his old salary with zero benefits. My oldest son joined the Army and my daughter is working at a day care and going to school full time at night. My other son was at a work training center for the disabled and has just been given a part time job at a store similar to TJ Maxx and Marshall's. I'll be driving him to and from work. I would love to go back to school, but I'm still caring for this family of mine! I guess you could say that my job will never go away.

Karin

Farmgirl Sister
# 18 :)

www.perfectlittlemiracle.blogspot.com

Edited by - Mumof3 on Apr 10 2009 05:53:04 AM
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2009 :  07:42:34 AM  Show Profile
Hi Alee - My youngest dd is a high school Spanish teacher - has her masters degree, but she is so disillusioned by the way things are run in the schools now - parents not participating in their child's ed, parents sticking up for their kids instead of supporting the teachers when the kids do something blatently wrong or just blow off their school work, etc., that she is considering going back to school to become a nurse. She read that they anticipate a shortage of nurses in the future because of a lack of nursing teachers. Seems the nursing teachers would be taking a huge cut in pay to go from nursing to teaching nursing, (not to mention the cost of getting an additional degree) so not that many are doing it. She plans to give her notice at the school at the end of the year and go back to school. I think it's a shame - school district's loss because she really is an excellent teacher who takes a real interest in her students.

Farmgirl Sister #98
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2009 :  08:36:55 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
That is really sad, Sherri!

There is already a huge shortage of nurses all across the nation. It's actually kind of scary! I have 2 friends that are nurses and they have to work really long shifts because there just aren't enough people.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

KayB
True Blue Farmgirl

540 Posts

Kay
Del City Oklahoma
USA
540 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2009 :  1:16:44 PM  Show Profile
I was thinking about looking, but an employment agency told me to hold on to what I have. However, for those of us who are veterans, there is a whole different sector out there. I just got an e-mail this morning about a job fair for veterans in my area later this month that I may look into. Any farm girl who is a military veteran can call their "unemployment" office and there should be a vet rep there who can help you. Or else try www.military.com.

Life's a dance you learn as you go
Go to Top of Page

Celticheart
True Blue Farmgirl

811 Posts

Marcia
WA
USA
811 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2009 :  1:55:47 PM  Show Profile
I'm a nurse and have been for 35 years...this year, in fact. We live in a rural area in southeastern WA and I've always had work, usually more than I wanted. My DH is self-employed and had a real slow down in his work over the winter although things are looking better now. He's working at least. I'm working two nursing jobs, both part-time and one of these jobs would have me work full time if I could.

Nursing isn't the only area in the medical field to look at though. They are always looking for Radiology Techs, especially Ultrasound techs, Physical Therapy techs too.

It's not about being perfect, but enjoying what you do. Set aside time to be creative.

Robyn Pandolph

Go to Top of Page

lacisne88
True Blue Farmgirl

1181 Posts

Chelsey
Lake Stevens Washington
USA
1181 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2009 :  1:58:26 PM  Show Profile
I personally have not had this happen to me (yet), but my university provost keeps sending emails to all of the undergarduate students telling us that we will be having a large tuition increase next year and an even larger one the year after that. This is so unfortunate! I wish there was a way to not raise tuition so much. And personally, I don't think it's fair because this provost has literally the highest provost wages in the entire country!

Chelsey
Farmgirl Sister #283

http://farmgirlpleasures.blogspot.com/

http://aminiatureworld.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2009 :  3:13:07 PM  Show Profile
:( Yep. Just had round 1 of the pink slip meetings yesterday. I was planning on getting another level of certification, but it requires that I be in a current teaching position. Hmm. Trying to keep my chin up and hope for the best. Times are tough all over.

One door may shut, but another always opens. I just have to keep my eyes open and get creative to find the opportunities and ways to keep on keeping on. Bright side: I can be frugal, and it may result in more family time. We'll be okay no matter what. We have each other.

We make a difference. http://huckleberrywine.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2009 :  3:53:47 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Oh No, Michelle! I am sorry to hear that you got a pink slip!

For those of you that are looking for an affordable college- look into Montana State University Billings (Online) They are actually very reasonable and fully acredited. I really like my teachers and we have some great online tutoring facilities.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjournies.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2009 :  4:29:58 PM  Show Profile
Oh, Alee, I wasn't clear. I didn't get the pink slip yet. And even if I do get one, they've told us not to panic as the school is desperately trying to find funds and ways to cut back and keep us. We will see. Until it is absolutely a sure thing, I'm keeping my head up. And if I do get cut back, there is always a silver lining to find. I do like my job and hope I keep it. Great kids and great staff. Anyone have 60 extra kids and want to move to our town?

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2009 :  6:01:52 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Is that how much Rosalia needs to get more funding?

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2009 :  6:02:26 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
PS I am so glad you haven't gotten one yet!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

peachy
True Blue Farmgirl

593 Posts

Melissa
Fennville MI
USA
593 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2009 :  6:36:21 PM  Show Profile  Send peachy a Yahoo! Message
What a great subject Alee and alittle sad that life is like this for many right now. I was planning on going back to school (on-line) and paying for it with what little bit of our taxes we had gotten back but now my dh is getting laid off and we still have 4 kids at home. I've been looking for a job but because we live so far out in the boonies (away from the majority of jobs) it would cost me the pay that I would be making to drive there! We've resorted now to taking what little we had in retirement out and starting to sell our horses off. I'm happily on vacation with my daughter but my parents paid for us to come stay with them (my daughters last spring break with me:( we'd never be able to have this opportunity on our own! Oh hum...just not sure I dare go back to school yet and bring another bill into the house - I'm praying for spring...I need my big garden and canning therapy soon! Until then I'm just going to keep selling what I can on ebay and hopefully start etsy, hopefully soon.

Melissa
Farmgirl Sister #360

http://oldethymecountrybarn.blogspot.com/

Life isn't about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain!
Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2009 :  7:46:55 PM  Show Profile
Well, we are down 60 kids from 3 years ago. They've been using the reserve funds the school set aside to keep us afloat. But we can't keep that up. With the state and federal budget cuts, plus losing kids as families move to where the jobs are, the town is just dying. The grocery shut down this year. The school has to follow steps and there's a schedule of announcements etc. that preclude any actual pink slips. But worst case, 4.5 teachers will be cut. The administration is trying really hard to find funding and get creative to keep as many jobs as possible. It is hard on everyone. My administrator was almost in tears telling the staff the news. Unenviable position to be the harbinger of such sad news. No matter who gets cut, it will hurt the whole school. Cutting programs might lead to more families chosing to move away or go to another school. Bad cycle to start.

But, to every down turn an upturn eventually has to follow, right? Thank goodness for spring is right! Gardening, friends, family. Some things don't change. :)

Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2009 :  9:02:41 PM  Show Profile
Michelle,
if I were younger I'd pop some furtility pills & have 10 sets of sextuplets,,,my contribution to Rosalia...lol!
Just kidding...
You are so right, it is a sad cycle that once started can start to spin out of control. No jobs in a small town so the young people move away, no new growth and a town slowly dies away. I truly believe when I say, "Never give up" on your community, that with that mind set and hope & yes even activisim that growth can happen. Something new out of something old.
hugz

>^..^< Happiness is being a katmom.
"I've never met a sewing machine I didn't like!"

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://www.graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2009 :  9:28:44 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Rosalia needs to do something this summer- a big festival of some sort to really draw the eye of the Palouse. Maybe a huge Antique Baazar or something- Anything. Get it highly advertised in Moscow, Pullman, and the Spokane area. Make it THE place to be to help pull some dollars in from outside the community. *hugs*

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2009 :  08:24:12 AM  Show Profile
Melissa, I hope the etsy sales and ebay work out. Internet sales can be such a blessing and a great opportunity for those of us "out there". I'm sorry things are so rough and you're selling your horses too. Hope it turns around and works out.

Chelsey, I agree. What the heck is going on with tuition? It is insane. Getting to the point of indentured servitude when you work so hard to pay off loans that allowed you the chance at the job so you could pay off your loans. This system has simply got to change. I don't know if it will take a gov't regulatory step or what. It has become outrageous.

Kay, that's a great tip for military vets! Most everyone really is trying to do what they can so we can all ride this thing out.

Sherri, I teach Spanish too. :) Sorry your daughter is so fed up. The turnover rate for new teachers is so high. They just aren't supported like they ought to and people with the grandest intentions and big hearts can be soured without that appreciation and help. Such a loss.

Rosalia is working on giving itself a boost of life. You're right, we haven't given up yet. Thanks for the offer Grace! Today the town is having a big meeting as a continuing part of a grant from philanthropic sources interested in empowering communities just like ours to pull ourselves up by the bootstraps.

We haven't thrown in the towel yet! We're on the BBB route, and I know of one gal who is putting out the call and organizing something at her place. I'm racking my brains too.

Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2009 :  11:33:16 PM  Show Profile
Hey Michelle,
How is your friend (who owns the cute little coffee shop & sweet collectables) doing? I hope she is weathering the storm. She did such a great job on the community "Haunted House" last Holloween.
>^..^<

>^..^< Happiness is being a katmom.
"I've never met a sewing machine I didn't like!"

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://www.graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2009 :  09:45:03 AM  Show Profile
She's doing great. Met up at the town meeting. I volunteered to help plan the haunted house for this Halloween. Lots of fun. Fortunately for her business, it draws a lot of people from out of town and her nose is above water. We also had a lot of volunteers help out with the egg hunt and even in the rain there was a good turn out. One thing I can say, we're a hopeful bunch out here. May be down, but not out yet!

Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Recession cuts in your career or no job? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page