willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2009 :  08:33:14 AM  Show Profile
Anyone have any suggestions for making a trellis for sweet peas. I am growing my plants in a 4 foot long row at the end of my raised bed so a tee-pee type wont work. If you have pictures that would be great.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2009 :  09:09:00 AM  Show Profile
Julie - I've used either pea netting or chicken wire strung between bamboo stakes - it's not pretty but once the sweet peas are up it's covered and it's pretty cheap and easy.
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

lovelady
True Blue Farmgirl

533 Posts

Toni
Indiana
USA
533 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2009 :  09:09:10 AM  Show Profile
Chicken wire? Depending on how tall you want it to be, you could go two rows high if you use steel T-posts or another tall post. Just wire the ends to the post. I have used it before on some short varieties of peas.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2009 :  10:52:46 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
In Crocket's Victory Garden he says just stick a much of forked sticks in the ground and as they grow they will twine around the sticks. He recommends planting a really thick row instead of one plant nicely spaced from the others- so more of a jungle of peas than a row. You place the sticks in the ground close enough that their branches sort of interlock.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

cj6
True Blue Farmgirl

196 Posts

cj

USA
196 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2009 :  11:21:49 AM  Show Profile
I swiped my hubby's wooden ladder(it was splitting up one leg and not safe to stand....although he still does-swiped it back last fall to paint on the house :( )I also resqued two more.They are 6-8ft tall.I put them so the tallest one was in the middle and slightly behind the other two,with a little space between them.The legs were sunk down into the ground to the bottom rung.We planted sugar peas,sugar baby watermelons,pickles,summer squash on them.(unfortunately we planted them 3 times and because it was so dry last year we didn't get much of anything.But,this is a new year!)I'm excited to get out in the garden,it's been real nice for most of the of the last few weeks...this morning we have snow? that's michigan!!! cj6

cj6 *believe in miracles*
Go to Top of Page

milkmaid
True Blue Farmgirl

187 Posts

Heather
Higginsville Missouri
USA
187 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2009 :  12:04:35 PM  Show Profile
We use 3 ft bamboo stakes with twine between so there is a stake then another in about 3 feet all the way down the row then I use bailing twine to weave in between the bamboo.. the twine makes the trellis part.. we grow tons of sugar snap peas for the CSA and farmers market and have found this to work very well.. now we grow a shorter variety I think you could do it with the longer ones if your bamboo was taller

http://goodfarm.blogspot.com/

Farmgirl #542

Mother to five awesome kids, wife of 17 years and milk maid to two beautiful cows. Living the good life!!!
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2009 :  7:11:44 PM  Show Profile
Thanks girls! I think I'm gonna mix a few ideas together and comeup with something using found materials from around the place!

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Pea Trellis Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page