deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2009 :  1:26:44 PM  Show Profile
No! i never did go to Rock City. Its sounds really cool. Nikki....lol....Sturgis. Never been there, but heard the stories! My ears are still ringing!! I'd love to see Hannibal (Mark Twain stuff). I'd love to have been able to see New Orleans before the flood. I just reread a book about old New Orleans for the 3rd time and it sounds spooky and romantic all in one. So cool....

Dawn #279
MJ's Heirloom Mavens-QMD
http://harvestthymefarm.etsy.com
http://harvestthyme.blogspot.com
~live big, ride hard, and shoot straight~
Go to Top of Page

electricdunce
True Blue Farmgirl

2544 Posts

Karin
Belmont ME
USA
2544 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2009 :  3:32:07 PM  Show Profile
Laura Ingalls Wilder's home sounds like a great place to visit. I still reread her books every few years even though I am an old lady now...she was an amazing person and such a wonderful inspiration. It has been years since I have had a cross country road trip, that is what happens when you have a family and a garden, etc.

I visited the anne of Green Gables home in Prince Edward Island. My daughter and I loved it. She was around eight years old when we went there. My husband took our four year old son for a walk in the woods since he wasn't old enough to appreciate it, and not really civilized enough. What a treat it was to see the house, I think it belonged to L.M.Montgomery's aunt and she spent a great deal of time there as a child.

I always like the little tiny museums in some far flung places. We went to the potato museum in O'Leary ,P.E.I. the same visit, it was pretty funny. There was a barn full of farm equipment and pictures of potatoes, but just in case you found that too boring, the gift shop had a strange little exhibit of artifacts, among them a wonderful dollhouse and an iron lung. My daughter got a real kick out of that, and thank goodness, there was a swing set outside for my son while Susannah and I got to run out eyes over the merchandise...

Karin

Farmgirl Sister #153

"Give me shelter from the storm" - Bob Dylan
http://moodranch.blogspot.com
http://domesticnonsense.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

NikkiBeaumont
True Blue Farmgirl

473 Posts

473 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2009 :  4:33:24 PM  Show Profile
Oh, Karin! I have always wanted to go to PEI and see Green Gables. The movies filmed by Kevin Sullivan on location there make me long to see those winding red roads and blue ocean views for myself! I am a huge L.M. Montgomery fan, but of course, Anne is my favorite character of hers.

I read a book by Laura Ingalls Wilder that she wrote near the end of her life and it was just as inspiring as her "Little House" books. It may have been called "These Happy Golden Years" but it wasn't like a kids book. It was more like an autobiography or maybe a series of articles about how they were living. Anyway, it was very good and informative and made me like Laura even more. She still lived simply even though she was famous and hopefully, made a lot of money from her books.

All of the suggestions on this thread have been so good. I hope that someone is cataloging them!

Farmgirl Sister #554
Go to Top of Page

NikkiBeaumont
True Blue Farmgirl

473 Posts

473 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2009 :  4:48:37 PM  Show Profile
Here's another neat place that a revolutionary farmgirl might like to visit http://americanvillage.org/ This is a link to the American Village. I have never been there, but I would like to go. Apparently, they do living history reenactments of the events that led up to the Revolutionary War and teach kids about how America won its freedom.

Farmgirl Sister #554
Go to Top of Page

NikkiBeaumont
True Blue Farmgirl

473 Posts

473 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2009 :  5:12:53 PM  Show Profile
If farmgirls like Civil War Reenactments then seeing the Battle of Selma would be a good farmgirl outing. Here's the link
http://www.battleofselma.com/ We went to this a couple of years ago. They have a dance at a gorgeous antebellum home and everyone is dressed in hoop skirts and military uniforms. I wanted to be dressed up too. I think all you have to do to get in is buy tickets and of course, be properly attired.

I've seen several reenactments and I thought that this one was the best. They had quite a few cannons and it was fixed so that when they shot them there would be corresponding destruction where the cannonball would have landed. Dirt clods were flying up everywhere, trees were being toppled, even an old shack was set on fire. There was much commotion. It was festive with the cavalry riding through and messages being sent and retrieved. But in the end one of the little drummer boys gets shot and you realize that it wasn't fun and games and "playing" war. It was a bitter reminder of what horrors were perpetrated against brother, friend and countrymen during the Civil War. I wish that it hadn't happened, but I hope that people learn more about this part of our history when they view a reenactment.

Farmgirl Sister #554
Go to Top of Page

NikkiBeaumont
True Blue Farmgirl

473 Posts

473 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2009 :  6:14:07 PM  Show Profile
Here's a photo from the ball at Sturdivant Hall

Farmgirl Sister #554
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2009 :  8:50:50 PM  Show Profile
/thus /sept.-October issue of Midwest Living magazine there is an article about SE Iowa and the cities of Bentonsport, Bonapart and Cantril, Iowa. It is a very picturesque place, very little traffic, along the Des Moines River. At Cantril is a Mennonite store called the Dutchman's Store. They sell organic food, plants, work boots, clothes, quilt fabric, games, books, etc. This building used to belong to my Grandfather who had a furniture store at the turn of the century in the building. The store is well worth going to. Fun for farmgirls because of the scenery, great restaurant in Bonaparte called Bonaparte's Retreat, antiquing and farm scenery.

Bonnie Ellis

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

lovelady
True Blue Farmgirl

533 Posts

Toni
Indiana
USA
533 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2009 :  04:00:21 AM  Show Profile
Bonnie! I must find that magazine! I am actually at my parents house a bit north of Bonaparte right now. The Dutchmen's Store has got to be one of my favorite places to shop. How cool that it used to be in your family! The Villages of Van Buren are definitely a Farmgirl kind of place. There is a big antique store next to the Retreat that has delicious fudge, too!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Book Ideas: Previous Topic Farmgirl Places to Visit Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page