Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 **MaryJanesFarm Products & Merchandise
 Glamour Camping (A/M '09 Issue) Content Discussion
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author **MaryJanesFarm Products & Merchandise: Previous Topic Glamour Camping (A/M '09 Issue) Content Discussion Next Topic  

Carol
Moderator/MaryJane's Design Diva

452 Posts

Carol
Moscow Idaho
USA
452 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2009 :  10:18:50 AM  Show Profile
You asked for it - here it is! You'll find a place to discuss each issue going forward right here. We'll make it "sticky," so the current issue will appear at the top of this list of topics.

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2009 :  4:40:09 PM  Show Profile
Carol,
don't know if I said "Whahoooo! but "Wahoooo" on your April issue w/the Sisters on the Fly article & for including my little train travel case.
I so enjoy thumbing through the magazine and then on the weekends, sitting on the sofa & start reading it!
Keep up the good work.
hugz,
>^..^<

>^..^< Happiness is being a katmom.
"I've never met a sewing machine I didn't like!"

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://www.graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

glendagoldenbp
True Blue Farmgirl

196 Posts

glenda
cleburne tx
USA
196 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2009 :  6:29:18 PM  Show Profile
As always the photos were FAB.

Sunrises are wonderous things, nobody should ever miss one.
Go to Top of Page

CalicoCat
True Blue Farmgirl

82 Posts

April
Oakland County MI
USA
82 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2009 :  09:55:22 AM  Show Profile  Click to see CalicoCat's MSN Messenger address  Send CalicoCat a Yahoo! Message
Oh I have been longing for a thread like this too! I thought there MUST be one somewhere and I just couldn't find it LOL! If I may go back an issue...

I sure did love the "honey" issue. It was good to get more info on CCD, and I loved all the experiences of beekeepers. The article on honey's status in Europe, particularly Italy, was delightful too. :)

I'm almost done with the "Glamping" issue; so fun and inspirational!

~April
http://aprilsatelier.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

NikkiBeaumont
True Blue Farmgirl

473 Posts

473 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2009 :  05:36:55 AM  Show Profile
I'd like to do a full rundown on the whole Glamour Camping issue soon, but right now I just want to express my thanks for the cooking with cast iron article. I have some old cast iron but haven't used it because it is a little grungy and rusty. I'm headed down to the farm this weekend and plan on seasoning that stuff back to life!

Love that y'all put in the Sani-Fem Freshette on page 94! I just discovered this thing last month (haven't bought one yet), and I am fixated on having one. What freedom! This is something that I need to take with me when I go hunting with my husband, especially dove hunting. I never drink enough water on those days because it is hard to find enough cover to pee when there are guys stationed every 100 yards in a corn field. "I'll never hunt thirsty again!" Ha!

Farmgirl Sister #554
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2009 :  09:43:42 AM  Show Profile
I thought it was swell. I even brought it with me on my Easter holiday trip to WA to read again as I wait for my sister to get back from work.

It gave me more of a bug to get my own camper. I made mention of it to my brother in law, who seems to be able to find anything. He smiled and said he knew someone who has one for sale as they bought a new RV. They want $800 for it, he says it needs a lot of work and wouldn't pay that much. HMMMMMM, I say...

I also liked the directions for making oil cloth, something I love. I went and bought the linseed oil, didn't want to buy a piece of plywood, so I put on my farmgirl thinking cap and took some cedar fencing board I had laying around and screwed two of the cedar pieces to the back to make my to make the base for pinning on the fabric. It poured rain the next day, so I didn't get to it. Will when I get home next week.

Keep up the great job!!!

For tomorrow and its needs I do not pray, but keep me, guide me, love me, Lord just for today.
St. Augustine

Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2009 :  11:15:38 AM  Show Profile
LOVED this issue!!!!

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

lorijarrett
True Blue Farmgirl

112 Posts

Lori
Norfolk NY
USA
112 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2009 :  5:54:46 PM  Show Profile  Send lorijarrett a Yahoo! Message
When the issue arrived I was in the middle of getting lunch so my DH sat down and started going through it. I was shocked at the comments, all favorable, from him since he's such a foo foo when it comes to what he called "womens" magazines. He really liked the teardrop camper idea and loved the pictures. I think we have a convert! LOL

Lori
www.countryhandsandheart.etsy.com
www.farmgirlinthemaking.blogspot.com
Farmgirl at Heart #397
Go to Top of Page

knittinpretty
Farmgirl in Training

17 Posts

Paula
Newnan GA
USA
17 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2009 :  06:57:32 AM  Show Profile
As Sister #870 of Sisters on the Fly, I especially loved the article on glam camping! We do have so much fun, more fun than anyone! My little camper is a 1968 Shasta named Key-Lime Cowgirl...can you guess how it's decorated? I love key-lime pie and the beach, so there you go! I also loved the previous 'bee' magazine...I am a lover of all things bee; I eat honey from a neighbor's hives for my allergies...what a great magazine!
x
Paula

Be ye kind, one to another, tender-hearted, forgiving one another even as Christ first forgave you...
Go to Top of Page

cowgirlandboys
True Blue Farmgirl

308 Posts

Rachael
Missouri
USA
308 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2009 :  09:29:21 AM  Show Profile
Wouldn't it be wonderful if the magazine included content about teaching kids about organics and other farmgirl-friendly topics? Instead of "homeschooling", MJ could call it "farmschooling" and much like what she does at the farm with teaching kids about organics and farming, it would great to experience an extension of that for those of us who cannot visit the farm. Teaching the next generation about organics, as well as many of the other ideas taught by MJ, is so important. This younger generation is so open to new ideas and are like little sponges when it comes to learning about nature! Many of the kids in our homeschool group are doing things like learning to knit, to cook, to camp, to grow gardens. It would be great if MJ could share with us farmgirls the way she teaches younger kids about the farmgirl ideals.

Happy Trails!

Rachael
Farmgirl Sister #535
Go to Top of Page

Carol Sue
True Blue Farmgirl

4033 Posts

Carol Sue
Washingtonian
USA
4033 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2009 :  9:45:48 PM  Show Profile
Thank you so much for telling us how to do oilcloth. I have some great fabric that I wasn't sure what I was going to do with, I quilt so this is so super as we love camping and now will have more glam my style to go with it!!!!

www.Quitemoments.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

K-Falls Farmgirl
Chapter Leader

2096 Posts

Cheryl
Klamath Falls Oregon
USA
2096 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2009 :  07:15:37 AM  Show Profile
I love love love the Sisters on the fly article as well as the bees. We are getting our bees for our hive next week. Very excited to become beekkeeppers evenon a small scale. We are also thinking of a Trailer for me to Glamor... Wonderful articles . Keep up the good work!

Cheryl
Farmgirl #309
Klamath Falls "Charming Chicks Chapter" Mother Hen

Almost daily posts at:
http://www.k-fallsfarmgirl.blogspot.com/
Come visit the barn at http://barndoorcreations.blogspot.com/

Grandmas are mom's with more icing.
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2009 :  10:40:06 AM  Show Profile
This issue was great, and I read all my MJF copies over and over. Fact is, when I go camping, I like to let go of anything glamourous, and relax. I am not, by nature, at all glamourous, and it is a lot of work for me to even try! Parties, and New Year's Eve are stressful for me! So camping, I just let all my unglamourous self be free! But it is really fun to see the photos and the ideas......hats off to your ladies who can go glam at any time. :)

Farmgirl Sister # 31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page

NikkiBeaumont
True Blue Farmgirl

473 Posts

473 Posts

Posted - May 01 2009 :  05:07:04 AM  Show Profile
Part 1 - Review of Glamour Camping Issue April-May 2009

The Cover – Gorgeous photo of MaryJane and eye-catching colors. I like the banner at the top with the checkerboard and scallops. It stands out and there is nothing on the magazine stands like it. Good job.

Contents pages – I like all of the old-fashioned clip-art that they come up with. I do enjoy the eye-candy!

Letters – More yummy clip-art!

Here For Life - page 8 - Two things that I got from this. Glad that there is a going-back-to-our-roots-rural-green-wave-rolling. Around here we say, “Roll, Tide, Roll!” I guess that could apply to this. And the other is, how does MaryJane just happen to be there to help other people get their dreams off the ground? There sure is some serendipity brewing around that woman! She just seems to know how to plug people in.

The Circle – page 10 - This is an awesome idea! Getting together, pooling your money, then deciding together how to give it away. It sounds like so much fun and a great excuse to have a gathering!

Home Safe Home – page 14 - I have the check out that Food Pairing website. I get stuck in a rut when it comes to food. Many times I just buy the same old things out of habit and because I seriously lack imagination when it comes to food.

Garden Stool To Go – page 16 - Okay, now did you laugh when you saw that garden stool strapped to that lady’s behind? It is a good idea, but I can just see myself walking around the yard with that thing wagging behind me and….it makes me laugh.

Packin’ It In – page 22 – Love the grungy fonts on this. This sounds like a wonderful trip! Out in the wild, with a cook, a guide and friends. A should-free respite from the world. That is a REAL vacation!

Happy Glamper – page 26 – Funny about eating cup-o-soup made with coffee and LIKING it. Amazing what being outside can do to a person.

Doing by Hand – page 28 – Have you ever seen photos of people who have nothing, who live in the most poverty-stricken countries and they are smiling and they seem happy and you wonder, “Why are they happy? They don’t have anything!” Well, this article made me think of that and I realized there is a certain pride and happiness that comes from relying on their own ingenuity the way Elyse had to do. They have all they need when they have each other.

“Tis a Gift to Be Simple – page 34 – Glad to see that voluntary simplicity is on MaryJane’s radar. One of my favorite books is The Simple Living Guide by Janet Luhrs. It really opened my eyes to the idea that there are alternatives to everything. I have modeled my life on some of these tenets by getting out of debt, refusing to get caught up in a 9 to 5 career and finding value in meaning over the material.

Do-It-Herself – page 36 – I looked up bejane.com and checked out what it would take to put in a dimmer switch. I am one of those learn-as-you-go people, so I don’t know if I am going to be able to do a project until I am actually DOING it. Ha! There were a lot of girls on there who did it and didn’t seem to die of electrocution so it MUST BE POSSIBLE and that is a wonderful encouragement to ME.

Tiny Trailers and Little Houses – page 40 – This reminds me of the Katrina Cottages that I saw in Cottage Living Magazine and plans are available at Lowe’s. Did a lot of research on little houses. Seems to be the most economical kind of shelter. Once you discover that you want to do most of your living outside, a big house seems to be a silly waste.

Women Weaving Trails and Stories – page 44 – This is SO something that I would like to do. I especially liked their writing themes. I am sure my main train of thought would be centered on “Fear and Survival” but in a good way.

Simple Solutions – page 48 – 1. Get Out! I haven’t even been able to finished reading my Outpost book because I keep getting motivated to go out and do more things! I am living, baby! 2. Sleep Outdoors. Done that. 3. Grow wild. In the process. 4. Dance as if No One is Watching. Check. Even let Oakley video me doing the Hammer to “Can’t Touch This”. High on the embarrassing scale. 5. Kick Up a Little Sass. Haven’t gotten to do this yet. 6. Wear Your Flair. I wore my Farmgirl Sisterhood badge to the Cornbread Festival and have found some cute vintage things that are going to spark up my drab wardrobe. 7. Buy a Glamper. I have an Airstream, but the whole thing is gutted and needs a new floor. Talk about WORK. But the outside looks Glamperous.

Sisters on the Fly – page 50 – Oh, they have such cute campers! We got to see a bunch at the Cornbread Festival (it was the whole reason why we went). Very inspiring.

Al-Lure-ing – page 56 – Cute jewelry! But I don’t wear it. Much.

Build Muscle Without Motors – page 58 – I like having exercise naturally integrated into life instead of having a separate time for it. That is just more fun and makes more sense. I like all of these suggestions. I would like to put a chargers on the family’s bikes and design it so that if they want computer time they have to work for the energy to run it. A good way to get them out of the house!

Farmgirl Sister #554
Go to Top of Page

CherryMeDarlin
True Blue Farmgirl

602 Posts

Cherry
Odenville AL
USA
602 Posts

Posted - May 01 2009 :  06:18:21 AM  Show Profile
Nikki, you are too funny!

~~Cherry~~

"A thing is as simple or as complicated as you make it." --TT Murphy
Go to Top of Page

NikkiBeaumont
True Blue Farmgirl

473 Posts

473 Posts

Posted - May 01 2009 :  2:21:19 PM  Show Profile
Part 2 - Review of Glamour Camping Issue April-May 2009

Plan Now for Summer’s Bounty – page 60 – These are the kinds of tips I need. I want to garden, but don’t want to break the bank! Great ideas! And I put Lynn Coulter’s books on my reading list, which is growing daily.

Rhubarb – page 62 – I have never had rhubarb, nor have I had it explained to me that it is one of spring’s first “fruits”. It seemed to be a lifesaver for Barbara Kingsolver’s bunch. Love that it is also so much fun to play with. Have to try it now!

Up-front Gardeners – page 64 – A girl who owns an organic lifestyle shop in the city was sued by her neighbors for having a wildflower meadow in her front yard. I never did find out what happened; I hope that she wasn’t forced to put in grass. I have thought about this. If I wanted to put in a real garden, then my front yard would be the only place to do it, unless I wanted to terrace the drop-off in the back. I would like to see some examples of front yard vegetable gardens.

Garden Journals – page 65 – This a good idea for a large garden! Since I only have 4 varieties of tomatoes and some basil and marigolds, I have started a word document to record my gardening notes. Am learning LOTS from my fellow farmgirl sisters. Thanks for the expert advice! Glad to be in the trenches with y’all!

A Moveable Garden Feast – page 66 – This is not something that I want to do, but a good idea for someone who doesn’t have a yard.

He Gives Gardens – page 67 – I really enjoy human interest stories like this one. It is so uplifting to read about all the ways and reasons why people give to others.

Peas and Wild Rice Pilaf – page 69 – This looks YUMMY. Of course, I might be the only one in the family who would eat it. Cool that Lorene has written a book based on Carla Emery’s ECL book. We were just discussing Carla and her interesting life. More books to add to the list!

Bottomless Chicken Pot Pie – page 70 – Oh, that crust looks so pretty all crimped and slit just so. This might just be something that the whole family WOULD eat.

My Budget Mix is Versatile – page 71 – Well, here is the answer to my question. If I would just order the mix I would get the recipes. I like it’s a “reputation builder”. Around here I have a reputation of either serving the slop that they like or eating good stuff alone. Ha! Maybe I would have a good rep with them and myself if I used the budget mix.

More Yummy Recipes to try – page 72 – Quinoa, love it! Making my own cheese. That really would impress my mom!

The Bitter Truth – page 74 – We used to eat watercress that grew in a marshy spot near our house. I loved the peppery flavor!

Get a Green Night’s Sleep – page 76 - This is good information. We will be in the market for a new mattress soon and I will keep this in mind. Hopefully, Lovin’ Man would be more interested in buying a green mattress since he is the one who wakes up with a stuffy nose every morning.

Farm Fair! – page 78 – Oh, I know that will be fun! I wish that I could go, but will just have to read all about it.

Dyeing with Kool-Aid – page 81 – Imagine what it does to your insides!

Crafting – pages 80 thru 87 – Good ideas!

Cooking with Cast Iron – page 88 – Ahhh, the piece de résistance (if that is how you spell it)! THANK YOU FOR THIS PIECE! I had a rusty Dutch oven that was relegated to the farm because I didn’t know what to do with it. You gave me hope that it could be brought back to life. I followed y’all instructions and the thing came out looking BRAND NEW. My husband saw it on the counter and thought that I had gone out and bought a new one!

Here are some rhubarb recipes! – page 89 – Printed so handily so you can put them in a cookbook.

Teardrop Trailer – page 91 – Adorable!

Farmgirl Buzz – page 92 – Oh, I want to know what the farmgirls have to say because (a.) I am nosy and (b.) I can relate.

It’s the Little Things – page 94 – Even though I feel that the whole mag is practically vibrating with synchronicity, here is the kicker. I couldn’t believe my eyes when I saw the Sani-Fem Freshette in there. I had just been reading about it on REI and wondering if they really work and are they worth the trouble. I think that it would be worth it just to use the one time a year that I go dove hunting. I am telling you there is no place to go in a cut cornfield with guys spaced out every 50 yards. I end up dehydrated every time because I won’t drink so that I won’t have to GO. Also, the Klean Kanteen. In the market for that. Especially, a pink one. Pretty!

Here’s the thing – page 96 – I love to tell on myself in the hopes that others can learn from my mistakes. Thanks, Rebekah, for sharing the tip!

Can’t wait for the next issue! Especially, for the MaryJane’s fabric preview!

Farmgirl Sister #554
Go to Top of Page

NikkiBeaumont
True Blue Farmgirl

473 Posts

473 Posts

Posted - May 01 2009 :  2:22:59 PM  Show Profile
Thanks, Cherry, you crack me up, too!

Farmgirl Sister #554
Go to Top of Page

Niamh
True Blue Farmgirl

140 Posts

Idaho
140 Posts

Posted - May 02 2009 :  9:52:19 PM  Show Profile  Send Niamh a Yahoo! Message
I am so excited to try the oil cloth! Very cool.

Also, the other day when we were at the store I noticed that their kool-aid was on a killer sale, so I stocked up on the brightest colors. My husband was a bit confused since we don't drink the stuff. :)

My farming blog: www.localfoodblog.blogspot.com

My living blog:
www.unprocessedfamily.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  **MaryJanesFarm Products & Merchandise: Previous Topic Glamour Camping (A/M '09 Issue) Content Discussion Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page