Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 Need help with my cast iron cookwear!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Need help with my cast iron cookwear! Next Topic  

cowgirlandboys
True Blue Farmgirl

308 Posts

Rachael
Missouri
USA
308 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2009 :  10:45:56 PM  Show Profile
Hello Farmgirls,
I was gifted a wonderful set of cast iron cookwear from a dear friend, and I have learned how to season it (it is new so that was the first time) but I am wondering how to take care of them now. Do I let them soak in the dishwater, can I clean them with regular dishsoap, and do I need to season them again (and if so, when?)

Thank you so much for your help! I am looking forward to freecycling my nonstick pans, but am worried about the care of these new pots and pans.

Thanks so much in advance!

Happy Trails!

Rachael
Farmgirl Sister #535

Canadian farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

482 Posts

Lori
Ontario
Canada
482 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2009 :  04:48:21 AM  Show Profile
That's wonderful--a whole set of cast iron! My Lodge skillet came with instructions to never put soap near it. I just let it soak with hot water, scrub it with a plastic mesh scrubbie or scrape with a small plastic scraper, rinse with hot water, then while it's still warm, put a little vegetable oil in it and rub it around with a paper towel.

At first I thought, how can this be clean without soap, but it really works! I do have to use an older towel to dry it, though, as it sometimes leaves black marks on a lovely new white towel!

Here's a link I found with lots of information. They say you CAN use a little soap, but not to let it soak with soapy water in it. And NEVER put them in the dishwasher!

http://whatscookingamerica.net/Information/CastIronPans.htm

Enjoy!

Lori

Farmgirl Sister #183

Edited by - Canadian farmgirl on Apr 02 2009 04:54:05 AM
Go to Top of Page

GailMN
True Blue Farmgirl

471 Posts

Gail
Hutchinson Minnesota
USA
471 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2009 :  04:53:31 AM  Show Profile  Send GailMN a Yahoo! Message
I give my cast iron the same treatment as Lori describes, the only change is, I keep a container of bacon grease and use that instead of vegetable oil - if you keep the pans (seasoned) well, there will rarely be a need for scrubbing or soaking. I love my pans!

Gail

Farmgirl Sister #506
A Smile a Day . . .
Go to Top of Page

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2009 :  05:08:15 AM  Show Profile
I put a generous amount of kosher salt in the fry pan and use a paper towel to scrub it around. Removes all the sticky bits, and you don't have to use hot water. (This tip is from big Martha.) Works great!

www.youaretoocreative.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9348 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9348 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2009 :  08:38:02 AM  Show Profile
I have seen it sone the way Lori describes and it seems to work well.

Great tip katie-ell. I'm keeping that in mind for when I get my cast iron stuff.

Denise
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

AuntPammy
True Blue Farmgirl

488 Posts

Pamila
williamstown wv
USA
488 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2009 :  08:47:37 AM  Show Profile  Click to see AuntPammy's MSN Messenger address
Did You know that if a cast iron pan or pot starts to look bad (rusty or gross) that if you boil some potato peels in them they will look like new again? My mom did this to an old dutch oven that was found in an old building (about 40 years ago) and I still use it about every week for something.She seasoned it with lard and it came back to life again! We never let ours dry by wiping them...instead we put them back on the fire and let them get really hot.Sounds weird but true!

"Keep your face to the sunshine and you will never see the shadow." Helen Keller

www.auntpsalmostheaven.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

AmethystRose
True Blue Farmgirl

254 Posts

Rosemary
Huntingdon PA
USA
254 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2009 :  10:04:44 AM  Show Profile
Never heard of the potato peel trick !!! I'll try that soon.

Whenever I use my cast iron frying pan, I put a little warm water in to rinse it, then put that on the dog's dry food.

I use the stove to dry the pans also, then put them into the cold oven to cool safely.

Go to Top of Page

LauriP
True Blue Farmgirl

239 Posts

Laurianne
Hertford North Carolina
USA
239 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2009 :  10:31:18 AM  Show Profile
>> I like to use my cast iron skillets much much more than the new $50.00 skillets tom got from his work!! <<

I'm very blesses to have my great-grandmothers skillet..it was passed down to my grandmother, then to my mom, then to me. I've also got another skillet that's not as old, but works just wonderful..it was free from our next door neighbor in the city. She didn't want it 'cause it didn't have a teflon coating on it!! But it's pretty old too, an' it's so great to cook on!!

I always use vege oil on mine-just sweep some on w/a paper towel..rinse the stuck on food an' touch up w/a "scubbie" -- those lil' things work like magic!!

I'd love to be able to find some more cast iron skillets..hmm..is this a good reason to go check-out the thrift store??!! LOL!

~~ Laurianne ~~
Go to Top of Page

sjs
True Blue Farmgirl

247 Posts

Stephanie
Oakland CA
USA
247 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2009 :  11:53:09 AM  Show Profile  Send sjs an AOL message  Send sjs a Yahoo! Message
Number one tip I learned the hard way... don't put wine in it! It will totally take off your finish and you'll be very sad. At least I was. ;)

Also, making Mary Jane's bread in it (with butter on the surface and then parchment over than) is a great conditioner for your pan!

--------------------
Learning to live is learning to let go.

Visit my food blog! http://www.wasabimon.com - natural cooking to live for.
Go to Top of Page

cowgirlandboys
True Blue Farmgirl

308 Posts

Rachael
Missouri
USA
308 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2009 :  9:11:26 PM  Show Profile
Thanks so much everyone for all of the tips! I think I have it now!
What about germs though..is that a dumb question? If you can not use soap to desanitize, what keeps these pans germ free? I am not a germaphob (most of the time) but for things like raw chicken etc, I always use dishsoap. I come from resteraunt work and so have been taught to be ultra clean. Any ideas?

Happy Trails!

Rachael
Farmgirl Sister #535
Go to Top of Page

sjs
True Blue Farmgirl

247 Posts

Stephanie
Oakland CA
USA
247 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2009 :  09:12:24 AM  Show Profile  Send sjs an AOL message  Send sjs a Yahoo! Message
Rachael, your pan usually gets so hot nothing can live in it. If you're ever worried about it, grease it up and stick in your 450F oven for 20 minutes. :)

--------------------
Learning to live is learning to let go.

Visit my food blog! http://www.wasabimon.com - natural cooking to live for.
Go to Top of Page

cowgirlandboys
True Blue Farmgirl

308 Posts

Rachael
Missouri
USA
308 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2009 :  09:38:37 AM  Show Profile
That is true about it geting so hot, I hadn't thought of that. Thanks so much. I love your website by the way!

Happy Trails!

Rachael
Farmgirl Sister #535
Go to Top of Page

julia hayes
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

julia
medical lake wa
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2009 :  10:08:42 AM  Show Profile
Rachael, I use only cast iron. I have 3 different skillets on my stove at all times. I've broken all the rules with them too! I use soap, I scrub em with SOS pads etc..etc.. They are still fabulous. The thing that really helps is after I wash and dry them, I rub a little veggie oil with a paper towel and voila they are ready to go again. About every few months or so, I pop them in the oven and bake them too. I've been doing this for going on 10 years now...

Good luck! ~julia

being simple to simply be
Farmgirl #30
www.julia42.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9348 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9348 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2009 :  5:26:34 PM  Show Profile
Actually the hot water is what kills the germs. Not so much the soap. Washing things in just hot water is fine. I don't like having the film of soap on my dishes.

Denise
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

keeperofthehome
True Blue Farmgirl

154 Posts

Suzanne
Atlanta Georgia
USA
154 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2009 :  6:30:21 PM  Show Profile
My stepson cooked something in mine and did not clean it well at all a few days ago. Today I put some water in it and set the pan to boil for a few minutes. All I had to do then was take my scrubby and the food came right off! A well seasoned pan that you've used for awhile will eventually turn into a non-stick typed pan. Cast iron is amazing and the gift you received was amazing as well!

Blessings!
~Farrah

www.oldfashionedhomekeeper.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Need help with my cast iron cookwear! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page