Author *Farmgirl Barter™: Previous Topic Issues of The Workbasket Next Topic  

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2009 :  09:23:11 AM  Show Profile
Okay, I have a box of these, and I really ought to share them.

Starting with 1950 and going until 1979. (Not a complete collection, but 160 issues total)

I picked them up at a thrift store, and I've been having fun looking through them, but I know I will not put them to good use.

What should I do? Sell them? Donate them to MaryJane for a library at the store or farm? I just know they will sit here and get dusty after I look through them and oh and ah.

If you are like me and had never heard of these before, it is a monthly publication with knitting/crochet/tatting/recipes/garden tips/etc.

What do you suggest is the best use for these treasures?

We make a difference. http://huckleberrywine.blogspot.com

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2009 :  1:06:44 PM  Show Profile
Sell them! Or barter with them!! Easy to send through the mail -- you could probably use media mail which is cheaper than 1st class.

Maybe put little/bigger groups together -- 5-10 in a bunch -- see what fits in an envelope -- and see if some gals here might want to buy or barter for them.

www.youaretoocreative.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9341 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9341 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2009 :  1:36:19 PM  Show Profile
I bartered for some not to long ago and I love looking through them. I think it would be a grand idea to put them up for sale or barter. And the idea of putting them in groups of 5-10 is great too! It's not expensive to mail that way. How lucky you were to get them!

Denise
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

tamer08
True Blue Farmgirl

93 Posts

Tami
Spearfish SD
USA
93 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2009 :  6:17:39 PM  Show Profile
These are wonderful magazines...my grandmother always had a subscription to these.
You are lucky to get ahold of these there are always some fun things in them. Tami
Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2009 :  7:29:32 PM  Show Profile
Sounds good to me. I just made up one of the recipes for banana bars. Lighter than banana bread and the whole family loved them. I do love the pictures of the baby booties, sweaters, etc. Amazing the skills and time that must have gone into handiwork like that. Tami, do you have treasures your grandmother made from patterns in the magazine?

The 1950's dresses they advertize patterns for are gorgeous! But I'd hate to wear the evil looking corsets to tame myself into one...yikes! And the ads for "stout women's fashion" oh dear, they look like normal sized women to me. There's no place like home, there's no place like now...

I'll see what bundles I can get together, get a shipping price etc. and then start posting available bundles here. I just know these are better enjoyed in other hands, much as they really are interesting to look through. What do you think is a fair price for them? I really have no experience with this....I'll go check some popular re-sale sites and see what I can learn.

We make a difference. http://huckleberrywine.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

sewcross
True Blue Farmgirl

54 Posts

54 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2009 :  06:06:00 AM  Show Profile
I remember looking at these magazines at my grandma's house. I sent you an e-mail.

Thanks!

Remember, you are unique-- just like everyone else.
Go to Top of Page

Laura Marie
True Blue Farmgirl

419 Posts

Laura
Rancho Cordova California
USA
419 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2009 :  09:56:02 AM  Show Profile
If you deciede to barter some away I would love to barter for some of the earlier ones. I love vintage magazines and looking through them. It fascinates me! But I'm sure they are full of very usefull advice, tips ect.
Farm Girl Hugs!
Laura Marie

Laura Marie #369
www.lauramariedesign.com

"It's not the size of the farm but the size of your heart!"
Go to Top of Page

tamer08
True Blue Farmgirl

93 Posts

Tami
Spearfish SD
USA
93 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2009 :  7:45:32 PM  Show Profile
Michelle...My grandmother was a quilter and a crocheter...she made some wonderful dollies using these magazines. I remember looking through them when I went to visit. When we were going through her things I got to have all her fabric which I still have and it is wonderful vintage, the magazines were not kept and now I wish I had them. Enjoy!!
Tami
Go to Top of Page
  *Farmgirl Barter™: Previous Topic Issues of The Workbasket Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page