Bridge
True Blue Farmgirl

814 Posts

Bridgette
Southern Indiana
USA
814 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2006 :  2:59:05 PM  Show Profile
To start off currently I am neither for nor against Wal-Mart, just in the pondering stage.
In my area it is one of the few places to shop, we have 2 other groceries. I really disapprove of the standards of Wal-Mart. I have been trying to patronize our small local grocery. Lately Wal-Mart’s offering of more & more organic foods (at much better prices) have been luring me back to that store. Is that their plan???

I read this article on my ISP’s homepage yesterday, which brought me back to pondering this whole debate. If they could put the squeeze on Vlasic, what will they do to the organic farmers? Is this what we want done to our fellow organic farmers? Are these “brands” really organic or just a marketing strategy?

I do truly believe the best way is to purchase locally, but that is not always possible due to seasons and/or not having a large garden of your own. I also use my local co-op as much as possible, but they are limited (no fresh produce) and only put in an order every 2 weeks.

What do my fellow farm friends think? Do you support Wal-Mart?

ali2583
True Blue Farmgirl

404 Posts

Alison
Winnipeg Manitoba
Canada
404 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2006 :  3:16:41 PM  Show Profile
No Wal Mart, no way! Living up in Canada, I try to support as many Canadian businesses as possible. And, my hubby works for an oil company up here that sells products to Wal Mart as one of their major customers. They are apparently quite difficult to deal with, and if you want your product on Wal-Mart shelves, you have to pay Wal-Mart, not the other way around! They are a behemouth that no one likes to deal with.

"God's gift to you is life. What you choose to do with that life is your gift to God"
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2006 :  3:47:03 PM  Show Profile
All of the grocery chains are jumping on the organic bandwagon. I went to Safeway (local grocery chain) the other day and they have a whole new organic line which has 150 items. I was very excited to be able to get organic stuff in a regular grocery. I will always buy local when possible but if I need to get something at that store at least I have a choice. It is 45 miles one way to the food co-op but I will go there when I can because it supports the local farmers.

But my question is this. Is this good for our organic farmers? Are they the ones that will be supplying organic produce to the big companies? I did check the label on the few products that I looked at and it said USDA Organic.

However, I will not buy at Wal-Mart. Their prices are really cheap but it's because they dictate to the vendors what they'll pay instead of it being the other way around. They don't care about anything being organic. They just want to cash in on what the other stores are starting to do so they can undercut the competitors.

I know that it is hard for people in a very rural area to shop. I am 15 miles from Vancouver and 30 miles from Portland. We currently have 2 Wal-Marts in Vancouver and 3 more are being opened. W is doing everything they can to squeeze out any other retailer. This area does not need 5 Wal-Marts in one city. I was there last week to pick up one thing and it just made me sick. I'm not going back anymore under any circumstances.

Sorry to get on my soapbox -- I just feel very passionately about this.

http://therusticcottage.etsy.com

http://rusticcottage.blogspot.com/

Edited by - therusticcottage on Jan 25 2006 3:57:22 PM
Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Catherine Farmgirl Sister #76
Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2006 :  4:49:18 PM  Show Profile
Within a 20 mile radius there are 6 Wal-Marts. There are some things I have to shop there for simply because they've squeezed out any other store that supplies the same items.

I have to admit that I recently abandoned my convictions and purchased some feed items from Wal-Mart because they were $3 cheaper per bag. Normally, I, too, want to support local stores and local people. Money got tight and a savings of $20 bucks sounded really good. I don't really have anything negative to say about the feed, but I did feel badly and I've gone back to our local feed store. I even told the owner what I did and that I was sorry.....I want to be a loyal customer and friend, not just a bargain hunter.

In a previous town we lived in, we had access to a C.S.A. community supported agriculture. Basically, we paid a yearly sign up fee and a base of $75 month. The farmer delivered to my door almost weekly, bags and bags of fresh fruits and veggies from his farm.

When we moved to the Houston area I just thought for sure there would be several of these around....being that it's by a big city and all. Well, zip, nada, zilch. I've contacted all the county and state offices I know to call and there isn't anything like that around here and also no organic farms. One good thing is that I've learned to be a good organic gardener and supply most of our needs.

I also order from Diamond Organics out of California from time to time. The produce is cut the day you order. If you order early enough in the morning, you get your goodies the next morning. Everything is scrumptious and the prices are a bit high (compared to organics at the big stores) and shipping is $1 per pound. It can get really expensive, but you know exactly where the veggies are coming from.

A side note about USDA organic....some of the criteria for the labeling has changed. I remember reading about standards being lowered and allowing for sludge and waste by products to be used for watering, etc... The standard by which most of the organic farmers had been being certified by were being changed to allow for newer, bigger companies to jump the bandwagon.

Remember the song, "I was country when country wasn't cool" We gotta look for those farms that were organic before organic was cool.

Blessings
Catherine

One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt."
Go to Top of Page

celebrate2727
True Blue Farmgirl

989 Posts

Beth
MJF Farmgirl
989 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2006 :  10:17:16 AM  Show Profile  Send celebrate2727 a Yahoo! Message
I am upset at many Wal-mart practices. If I had the money and time to selectively shop elsewhere I would. BUT.... I am struggling to make ends meet most days and just put food on the table for a family of 6 with 3 growing boys that eat everything in sight! I do buy my eggs, meat, bread, milk, yogurt, butter and cheese from my local organic farmer, Crystal Ball Farm. And I reccommend it to everyone which I think helps keep the farmer's in business with word of mouth advertising. I also try and purchase things from farmgirls, like Susan. As soon as I can get a little more financially stable, I can be more politically correct and use my dollar to make a point. Until then I guess I will buy what I have to from Wal-mart.

May you achieve your full potential to excel intellectually, to live spiritually, to lead responsibly, to act justly and to serve selflessly. Have a wonderful Holiday and a Happy New Year!
Go to Top of Page

TejasFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

105 Posts

Dawnn
Bartonville Texas
USA
105 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2006 :  3:26:35 PM  Show Profile
Watch out for the lobbyists ladies. Food is big big business in this country. There was recently a bill that found its way onto some type of legislation that said a beef producer could label the meat Organic even if they didn't feed it organic feed if the organic feed was more expensive. It was eventually overturned but disturbing nonetheless. Big food producers have jumped on the organic bandwagon but are looking, at every turn, to decrease certification requirements.
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic The Gallon Jar of Pickles Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page