Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Need Cookware Recommendations Next Topic  

babysmama
True Blue Farmgirl

931 Posts

Elizabeth
Iowa
931 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2009 :  06:08:18 AM  Show Profile
My pots and pans are about shot, the non-stick coatins is basically all worn off and chipped and I am now in the market for new pots and pans. What would you all recommend? I am thinking about all stainless steel now? Any good brands? Any hints about shopping for a set? I don't have a lot to spend, is it possible to get a fairly decent set for $100 or under?
-Elizabeth

dkelewae
True Blue Farmgirl

1310 Posts

Diana
Saint Peters MO
USA
1310 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2009 :  06:28:44 AM  Show Profile
I switched from teflon to stainless a couple of years ago and I'll never go back to teflon ever again! I lucked out, because our Sam's Club had the Wolfgang Puck set on sale.

All I can do is suggest you keep your eyes open for sales at places such as Kohls, Bed Bath & Beyond, Sam's, etc. Lots of times Kohls and BB&B have coupons for 15-30% off too.

Diana
Farmgirl Sister #272
St. Peters MO
Country Girl trapped in the city!

http://farmgirldreams.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

sherone_13
True Blue Farmgirl

2460 Posts

Sherone
Evanston WY
USA
2460 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2009 :  08:07:08 AM  Show Profile
Calphalon all the way. They last forever and are just soooo nice to cook with. They have it at Williams Sonora

Sherone

http://tinytaylorranch.blujay.com
http://tinytaylorranch.ecrater.com/
http://taylorscountrystore.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

vermont v
True Blue Farmgirl

194 Posts

Victoria
Chester Vermont
USA
194 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2009 :  11:40:09 AM  Show Profile

Try T.J Maxx. I have Cuisinart stainless. TJ Maxx has them frequently. I have had mine for 20 years and they are still perfect!
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2009 :  7:12:35 PM  Show Profile
I have Belgique which was purchased at Macy's - I lucked out because they had a whole bunch of one set on clearance when I got married so I registered for the clearance stuff and, since it was cheap, got a lot of it. It isn't the really high budget cookware but it is good quality stainless with copper bottoms. It cooks well and cleans up really easily - surprisingly so.
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2009 :  07:04:43 AM  Show Profile
i got some stainless steele for christmas and LOVE it! it is WAY better than the teflon and I don't have to worry about those little bits getting in my food! Mine came from Walmart. I cant remember the brand

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

AuntPammy
True Blue Farmgirl

488 Posts

Pamila
williamstown wv
USA
488 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2009 :  07:12:07 AM  Show Profile  Click to see AuntPammy's MSN Messenger address
I just got a set of really nice stainless steel Kenmore pans at K-Mart for way less than a hundred dollars. They are very heavy duty and have copper band around the bottom for conduction, I love them. Everything cooks up so nicely in them. I am going to buy the double boiler/steamer to complete the set.I am impressed with how easily they clean up.

"Keep your face to the sunshine and you will never see the shadow." Helen Keller

www.auntpsalmostheaven.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2009 :  07:24:47 AM  Show Profile
I still have the copper bottom Revere Ware I got when I got married 500 years ago. Works great. But I do have some Le Crueset and really like it. It is pricey--thank you Gramma--but worth it to me. It is porcelon (?) lined. MB

http://www.smallcityscenes.blogspot.com
www.strawberryhillsfarm.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com www.holyhouses-day4plus.blogspot.com
"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2009 :  07:25:29 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I love our stainless steel pans as well! We use our cast Iron skillets for anything skillet like, and then all of our sauce pans are stainless steel, and we also have one of MaryJane's Bake-Over Skillets that we use all the time for stirfrys and eggs. It looks like it is teflon, but it isn't. It's a different type of finish that does the same thing as teflon but doesn't scratch off or give off fumes.

We got our pans at Wal-Mart because that was the only place we could afford when we had to replace our pans. I have been actually very impressed with the quality.

Alton Brown says look for a nice heavy bottom so the heat is evenly distributed.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2009 :  07:49:05 AM  Show Profile
Wow Marybeth! Your typing skills are amazing considering your age! HEHEHE

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9349 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9349 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2009 :  08:35:07 AM  Show Profile
Wow, MB now that's saying something! Girl you know how to make marriage work! Hehehe.
I started with the copper bottom stuff. Gave it to my dd and now have pampered chef but I don't like that I HAVE to use nylon utensils in it. Am seriously considering stainless steel and cast iron. I love to use the cast iron cookware.

Denise
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2009 :  09:02:28 AM  Show Profile
Julie, I know I know--I have my seeing eye dog type for me. LOl
Thanks, Denise--I try!! MB

"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2009 :  09:22:14 AM  Show Profile
I have Cuisinart, too. I got mine a few years ago after Christmas at BB&B for 20% off. Plus got a free enamel colander set with it. So I think I paid about $80 for the whole set. I love it. Would not use anything but stainless steel and cast iron.

Kris

Life is what you make it. Always has been. Always will be.
Go to Top of Page

GaiasRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2552 Posts

Tasha-Rose
St. Paul Minnesota
2552 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2009 :  09:48:04 AM  Show Profile
you might check ebay for this since it is a considerably expensive set, but it's what I have in my kitchen and I swear by it: le creuset

~*~Brightest Blessings~*~
Tasha-Rose
Farmgirl Sister #88

Blogs:
http://gaiarose.wordpress.com
Etsy:
http://ForestFaeries.etsy.com

"Joyful chaos, working in tune with the seasons, telling itme by the sun, variety, change and self-direction; all this wwas replaced with a brutal, standardized work culture, the effects of which we are still suffering from today." - Tom Hodgkinson in 'How To Be Idle'
Go to Top of Page

Suzan
True Blue Farmgirl

659 Posts

suzanne
duncannon pa
USA
659 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2009 :  09:50:47 AM  Show Profile
mmm, hate to mention it, but watch on QVC - they have great deals on wonderful cookware.
Go to Top of Page

City_Chick
True Blue Farmgirl

509 Posts

Christina
Omaha Nebraska
USA
509 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2009 :  10:00:18 AM  Show Profile
I have discovered over the years that I it was more cost effective and practical for me to replace my pots and pans individually. One reason is obviously that each pan has it own purpose and while I love stainless steel not everything I cook likes it. That is why I have an eclectic collection now. My Favorites though are the le cresuet dutch oven (I got it for a fraction of the cost at Marshall's), My smaller cast iron dutch oven (this one is only used for deep frying), a round cast iron griddle, a large frying pan, wok & small non-stick sauce pan all three from calphalon. The wok I have had over 13 years now. I have way too many pots and pans to list but I would reccomend foregoing the "set" of one type. Kohl's has various individual pans on sale all the time for a good fair price. But if you have a Marshall's near you I would recommend checking them out. Their stock is changing all of the time.

Christina
Farmgirl Sister #195
City Chick & Friends Chapter Mama
http://justacitychick.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2009 :  10:24:10 AM  Show Profile
As I said before I love my Le Creuset. I saw some yesterday at Goodwill--lids and pot. I may go back and get them althought I already have those two. They still are pricey at a thrift store yet only a fraction of the cost. The larger pot was 20 bucks and the smaller was 25--with lids yet. Hmmmmm--what to do. Don't settle for second best. MB

Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2249 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2249 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2009 :  3:49:57 PM  Show Profile
I've been using the same Revere Ware pots and cast iron fry pans for over 40 years; a couple of them were even hand-me-downs from my grandmother. The still work as well as they ever did and will be good enough for a couple of more generations. It's nice to have something you only have to buy once and never replace.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2875 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2875 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2009 :  4:39:07 PM  Show Profile
OK, as much as I hate to admit that I got stuff from HSN...I did.. About 10 yrs ago I got a set of Wolfgang Puck stainless. I love it. It cooks evenly & is easy to clean. I have a friend that got some as well, & when she got married, she got some high end stuff for her wedding gifts & gave her Wolfgang Puck away to her god daughter. Well, she called me & said she wished she hadn't! I know there is better stuff out there I am sure, but I have zero complaints. He still sells stuff on HSN, and I have seen a few of his pieces at TJ Maxx, but I really have all I need. I also have his food processor & it is quiet & very powerful.
OK.. I bow away in shame, since I got that from HSN as well.
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2875 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2875 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2009 :  4:40:11 PM  Show Profile
Oh yeah, Stitchin, I have some Rever Ware that was from grandma & my mom & still keep that as well. Gives me a warm fuzzy feeling.
Go to Top of Page

suethequilter
Farmgirl in Training

36 Posts

susan
jackson michigan
USA
36 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2009 :  05:22:02 AM  Show Profile
I have had several types of cookware. The non-stick types at some point will start to wear off. When that happens you are going to eat it along with your food.:( I have never had a problem with cast iron. That is what I use for everything. Lodge castiron is made in the USA, plus they have a great website. That is where I found the 2qt. dutch oven for Maryjane' bread recipe.

life is good
Farmgirl#172
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Need Cookware Recommendations Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page