Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 e-coli or salmonella scare (long)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic e-coli or salmonella scare (long) Next Topic  

idsweetie72
True Blue Farmgirl

129 Posts

Sandra
New Meadows idaho
USA
129 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2009 :  12:07:24 PM  Show Profile
Saturday we were running way late and had 2 hours to drive before we got home- knowing that I only had enough grain for 3 or 4 more days- I bought some more, (not the same brand), at a small feedstore we passed- when we got home I had to feed the goats, so I introduced 1/4 of the new food to 3/4 of the old- fed and watered- milked- went to bed-
Sunday woke up- fed and watered- same ratio of new to old feed- milked- and hung out doing my chores all day-
Monday- woke up- went out to my does- only to discover all 3 of them deathly ill- They looked bloated so I began to treat for that- but nothing worked- then my favorite doe started moaning, and it looked like she was in pain- so I gave hr an aspirin-
but something keep niggling the back of my mind-and I had a gut feeling something was wrong with the grain-around 3pm I started calling vets- first my regular- who was out of town- then every other one in the phone book- finally I found one who would look at the 3 does- 45 miles away- I ran outside to load them up- and my poor Seba was bawling and crying, her eyes were glazing over and it was horrible- I was holding her head when she started twitching, and I knew I had to put her down- so I did- <sob>- one of the most heartbreaking things ever
Long story short- took th eother 2 to vet- he cultured- said 90% sure e-coli- extremely sure it was from the grain- as that was the only thing different. Started treatment for the two does- we brought them home- I stayed up until 1am with them, just watching and trying to get them to take liquids- went to bed
this morning the oldest doe was dead- but the youngest- who ate the least- was looking much better- and she drank some pedialite- I believe she will make it-
we should find out in 5 days if it was the grain- and if it was e-coli-
and hopefully Tinker will live- I can't handle anymore heart ache

Mazy Day Farm

KansasConnie
True Blue Farmgirl

69 Posts

Connie
Atchison County Kansas
USA
69 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2009 :  12:10:07 PM  Show Profile
Oh, no! How sad! I'll be thinking of you! And hoping the youngest pulls through!

Kansas Connie
Go to Top of Page

babysmama
True Blue Farmgirl

931 Posts

Elizabeth
Iowa
931 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2009 :  12:41:00 PM  Show Profile
How heartbreaking! I'm sorry for your loss.
Have you contacted the grain company? They should be notified so this doesn't happen to any other animals and they should pay for vet bills and costs of replacement goats.
-Elizabeth
Go to Top of Page

idsweetie72
True Blue Farmgirl

129 Posts

Sandra
New Meadows idaho
USA
129 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2009 :  2:10:39 PM  Show Profile
we have contacted the grain company- who gave us the run-around- so I'm getting my fighting gloves on

Mazy Day Farm
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2009 :  4:37:39 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Oh Sandra! That is so sad! I know nothing will make up for the heartbreak and agony you have had to go through plus that of your does, but whomever is responsible better do a much as is possible to rectify the situation. *hugs* Your poor babies!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2009 :  5:23:40 PM  Show Profile
You go girl.

Fight for your fur babies!

poor things
Go to Top of Page

ponypower
True Blue Farmgirl

68 Posts

Lily
Caspar Ca
USA
68 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2009 :  11:43:16 PM  Show Profile
I am so sorry. SO hard. Good luck with your path ahead.

Love,
Lily
Go to Top of Page

Joelle
Farmgirl at Heart

4 Posts

Joelle
Missouri
USA
4 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2009 :  10:47:53 AM  Show Profile
Go after the grain company! We have had groups of calves die after inoculating them and the drug company gave us compensation. Threaten them with a class action suit. I'm sure there are others that have had problems with the feed.

Joelle (a newbie trying to figure this out)

I do the best that I can, and that is the best that I can do.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2009 :  11:12:07 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Welcome to the forum, Joelle!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2009 :  1:01:03 PM  Show Profile
Sandra, that is so sad. I am so sorry this has happened to you and those poor goats to have suffered so much. I have never heard of anything like that happening before. I sure hope you find out what it was.

Kris

Life is what you make it. Always has been. Always will be.
Go to Top of Page

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2009 :  09:38:10 AM  Show Profile
Oh Sandra my heart is breaking for you!!! It's so HARD to lose an animal you are especially close to, and in such a terrible way....

I worry about getting bad feed, and not just for the livestock, but my PETS as well. I don't buy grain too often (though I'm not milking either-- at least not YET!), but when I DO give it to my critters it's only a small amount as a treat. (or a BRIBE!!) We also grow our own hay, and have really good pasture, so I don't worry about that aspect of their feed at all.

Can you PLEEEEAAAASE tell us what BRAND it was, and who manufactured the grain? We'd all really like to know.

Our local feed store only carries a few brands -- and one of them is a local processor that bags their own feed under their company name -- they cater to the dairy farmers in our area and sell custom mixes. That's usually the brand I buy (my chicken feed too). Not sure where the other brands are from. I'll have to look into that. Hugs and more hugs to you.... so VERY SORRY for your loss dear, and I hope your other darling makes a speedy, FULL recovery. ~~~ Tracy

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. ~~ George Carlin
Go to Top of Page

idsweetie72
True Blue Farmgirl

129 Posts

Sandra
New Meadows idaho
USA
129 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2009 :  10:38:49 AM  Show Profile
everyone- thank you so much- I'm still so heartsick over the loss of my mama's- but the good news is that Tinker, who was ill also, is making a great recovery- and my 3 wee ones haven't gotten ill at all- so I'm crossng my fingers and praying like crazy that they don't get it- ( or us for that matter)
Unfortunatley for legal reasons I am unable to name the actual grain supplier- but I can tell you that they are testing the lot that we bought- (and we are doing our own testing from the one bag we fed them from) And that the highest "supplier" on the chain of command is a huge Idaho company that dabbles in everything from potatoes, to cows, to grain- almost everything- and that the grain we purchased was bagged in Caldwell - Idaho

Mazy Day Farm
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2009 :  11:19:50 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I am so glad that Tinker (I love that name by the way!) is feeling better and that the little ones aren't getting sick!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

twzlrwho
True Blue Farmgirl

199 Posts

christina
dewitt va
USA
199 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2009 :  2:19:33 PM  Show Profile
I'm so sorry for your loss. Hugs

Christina

Work like you don't have to, love like you've never been hurt, and dance like nobody is watching :)
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2009 :  8:10:08 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Hey Sandra- I just realized I know some people in Idaho that have goats for sale. Are you looking for goats for fiber or milk? If you are just looking for dairy goats, my friends have Ober-Hasli goats. If you email me I could give you their contact information. I am not sure how far away New Meadows is from Potlatch Idaho, but that is where my friends live.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic e-coli or salmonella scare (long) Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page