Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2009 :  11:10:36 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I love the "Keeping In Touch" portion of the magazine, and I really love reading the upcoming titles. Don't forget that if you have a story to share to check out the Keeping In Touch portion of the website-
http://www.maryjanesfarm.org/KeepingInTouch/

This current listing is Making Hay! What a great topic!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3317 Posts

Melody
The Great North Woods in the Land of Hiawatha
USA
3317 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2009 :  09:47:10 AM  Show Profile
Hey...it must be in the air...last night I made a batch of "new mown hay" soap! It smells divine!!!

Melody
Farmgirl #525
http://melodynotes-melodynotes.blogspot.com
www.bythebayhandcraftedsoap.com
www.lemonverbenasoap.etsy.com
www.andsewitgoes.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2009 :  09:59:50 AM  Show Profile
Oh Melody,

That sounds nice! I love the smell of fresh cut hay but it drives my allergies crazy!

~Sharon

By His Grace, For His Glory

http://merryheartjournal.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2009 :  10:36:11 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I love the smell of new mown hay! Especially Timothy and alfalfa!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2009 :  3:35:15 PM  Show Profile
Oh, post a recipe or send it to the farm. Maybe they'll put it in the magazine.

We make a difference. http://huckleberrywine.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2009 :  7:41:03 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Melody was it a fragrance oil?

If I ever get 2 seconds to breathe I have a few stories to write down!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2009 :  06:28:23 AM  Show Profile
I don't have any stories to share about making hay. The closest I've come to it is the description in the early chapters of of Laura Ingalls Wilder's "The Long Winter". That's where Laura helps her father bring in load after load of hay...he has a feeling that the upcoming winter is going to be a doozy, and they have to "make hay while the sun shines".

The reason I'm posting is that there's a food product associated with making hay in this story: the "ginger water" that Ma sends out to the workers in the field. It's better than plain water, because it's got ginger and sugar mixed in to "warm their stomachs" and let them drink all they want without feeling sick.

I did a little internet research and found that "ginger water" is more commonly known as "switchel", or "haymaker's punch". There are numerous variations on the recipe, but the basic ingredients are: ginger, apple cider vinegar, and some sort of sweetener (molasses, honey, brown sugar, maple syrup). It's unclear whether the recipes originated in Europe (the recipes that call for honey), or in the New World (the recipes that call for sugar or molasses - products of the Caribbean sugar trade that began in the 17th century). It's a New England Yankee tradition, and would have been familiar throughout the 17th, 18th, and 19th centuries to anyone doing hard outdoor labor in the hot sun. Sort of an old fashioned, all natural sports/energy drink.

I've tried a couple of the recipes I found online, and in the Little House on the Prairie Cookbook (by Barbara M. Walker). Basically, you dissolve about 1/2 cup of brown sugar or other sweetener and 1 tsp of ginger in 1/2 cup of ACV, and mix into 2 quarts of water. Some recipes call for a little more or less of the ingredients but not by much. Switchel is a bit of an acquired taste: like lemonade with an extra sour bite.

I would love to know if anyone who grew up on a farm has personal memories of such a drink. Does it really quench your thirst better, and sit better on your stomach than plain water? What was your family recipe?

Perhaps the Make Hay issue could include a brief writeup and a recipe for "haymaker's punch"?
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2009 :  11:57:45 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Thanks for bringing that up! I am going to try that this summer as a remedy after going for a jog or doing heavy yard work. You said you have tried some of the recipes- did you like them? Did they taste like a flat ginger ale?

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2009 :  12:49:30 PM  Show Profile
Not at all like flat gingerale! Very strong and tangy, more like Jamaican ginger beer if you've ever had that. I'm planning to experiment, and perhaps come up with something a little lighter. I've tried it so far with brown sugar, and a hot version with lots of honey (like ginger tea) over the winter. Next up is molasses.

FYI: it helps to let it set a bit before you drink it (maybe half an hour before serving). When the ginger was not fully absorbed, it made my nose burn!
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2009 :  1:50:30 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Wow! It sounds yummy! I will have to try it! Did you use fresh ginger?

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2009 :  05:43:59 AM  Show Profile
No, I used my powdered ginger from the spice rack.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2009 :  06:31:57 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Great! Thanks!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

nampafarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

494 Posts

Kim
Nampa ID
USA
494 Posts

Posted - May 06 2009 :  06:55:55 AM  Show Profile
I will be baling my first crop of hay later this month. I am so excited.

Kim
Farmgirl Sister # 302
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - May 06 2009 :  08:04:07 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
That is so exciting Kim! Are you doing it yourself or are you having people come help? Bucking hay bales is probably the best workout in the world! Oh my! I don't think I have ever worked so hard.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - May 06 2009 :  08:25:35 AM  Show Profile
I end up helping to guide the big round bales as they come off the truck and put them in to place for the tractor. The BIG bales are a little daunting when you know how much they weigh! And with them bouncing around and all erratic and everything, but I love hay season and wouldn't have it another way. It's all precious gold for the winter ahead. =) I have learned really well when to get out of the way!

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - May 06 2009 :  09:42:26 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
You know what I love? Breaking open a new hay bale to see the really rich green still inside! I love the smell of green hay in the winter and I especially love the sound of horses munching on hay while the world is so still and quiet that you can hear the snowflakes hit the ground outside the barn!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - May 06 2009 :  09:59:40 AM  Show Profile
The sound of contentedly munching animals is just a smile in its self. Horses are so welcoming and goats are a bunch of greedy guts :D but when all of the world is still and snowcovered it is such a cozy feeling to be in the barn with all of the animals eating summer hay...I especially LOVE the minty-sweet scent of alfalfa. Alee, if you want to make an old farmgirl smile just come up with an alfalfa scented soap!.....Opppsie, wrong thread :P

I usually just take a few moments to sit with the barn critters and listen to the sounds. Llamas look particularly cute with a tuft of hay in mouth. I love'um!

Hopefully this year will the year that I afford a horse I LOVE horsekind...either an Arabian or an Appy....don't know yet....part of the fun is not knowing what fate will hand you.

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13

Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - May 06 2009 :  12:45:21 PM  Show Profile
I loved haying season as a kid. My cousins from NJ always came and spent the summer on the farm. My older sister and brother and cousin Stephen would all hang together, as 'the big kids'. My little sister, cousin Caitlin and myself, hung together,know as 'the little girls'. We would watch as my dad would mow down the hay, making the field look puffy. Later we Little girls would ride on the back of the machine, which I am sure has a name, that turns the hay into rows. We would sit on a back bar, which was less than comfortable on wee bottoms with no padding, and lustly sing. One song I remember gracing the hay with was "My Bonnie lies over the ocean..." though for some reason we changed it to, "My body lies over the ocean." We would ride again on the row turning machine as Dad would turn it so the underside would dry. Later came the bailing day. We would walk behind the bailer to watch it spit out nice rectangle bails of hay. I recall times Dad would have to stop and fix the bailing twine as it would get tangled from time to time.

Then came the day of loading hay. We kids and Dad would throw the bails up on the truck, while the truck was driven slowly along. As we kids all had hay fever we would periodically run into the house to get the next dose of allergy medicine as it wore off. The truck would be driven to the barn, and it would ride up to the loft where it was stacked nice and high. Of course the best fun was playing on the hay, buliding tunnels and jumping from the hay loft down on to soft hay waiting to break our falls. We would spend hours jumping, running up the ladder to jump again. We had a rope swing tied to the main beam of the barn and we would swing from one side to the other, often letting go to land in the hay. We would be itchy by the end of the day, but nothing that playing in the sprinkler couldn't fix.

Though it has been years since I have made hay, and though I don't have a barn of my own right now, I still love the aroma of hay as I walk into my friends barn. The sound it makes under your feet, the crunch as you sit in it hold a baby goat, or bottle feed a new calf. Making hay is making memories.

For tomorrow and its needs I do not pray, but keep me, guide me, love me, Lord just for today.
St. Augustine

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - May 06 2009 :  1:01:01 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Annika- Sounds good! I am sure I can find a fragrance oil for that!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - May 06 2009 :  3:36:21 PM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
I agree Alee, that description is something I can relate to and I love it! I have a reciepe from a farm cookbook that is an old timey drink, you use raspberries, sugar, and water. It's really good too!

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Planting Zone 4

"Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly." The Dalai Lama
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - May 06 2009 :  5:27:04 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
OOO! Post it for us, Please!!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4178 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4178 Posts

Posted - May 07 2009 :  6:42:42 PM  Show Profile
Making hay, everyone makes it sound so romantic! Ahhh, but it does smell good.
First you watch and listen to all the weather forecasts you can find. Trying to figure out who will get it right. You watch to see what your neighbors are doing, are they cutting hay, or waiting. Then you take the chance and cut, hoping the rain stays away for a few days. Then once it drys out good on top, you rake it, flipping it over so the bottom can dry out. We square baled all our hay when we were kids. The best we ever did was 14 loads of hay in one day. It was a long day, and we had to travel about a mile an a half from field to barn. But with enough help, the hay wagons were able to keep running. And as the hay mow fills up, the hotter it gets for the person stacking hay. Of course one of the best feelings is getting that last load of hay in the haymow, just before the rain starts. Two years ago we got a round baler. Boy did that make life alot easier. Though we still do square bale second crop for Summer and our sheep. Farm work is alot of hard work, but it sure is the best feeling in the world.

Michele
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - May 08 2009 :  07:22:47 AM  Show Profile
Alfalfa scented soap would be awesome. I would definitely buy that. I love doing dishes in the evening. I have my kitchen window above the sink and the breeze blows the fragrant alfalfa and I love it!

You could put a picture of Alfalfa (Little Rascals) on the label

Teresa Sue, could you post your recipe? That sounds perfect for warm (or hot) weather. :) I have a recipe for "Meadow Tea" using mint if anyone would like it I would be happy to post it.

~Sharon

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - May 08 2009 :  07:47:00 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Sharon- I would love that recipe too!

I am looking and have yet to find an essential oil or fragrance oil that is scented like alfalfa. But I can put alfalfa extract in so I am thinking of buying a bottle to see if it smells good or gross!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - May 08 2009 :  08:33:41 AM  Show Profile
Here it is Alee :)

Meadow Tea

2 cups fresh mint leaves, washed and packed
2-2 1/2 cups sugar
4 cups water
Garnish: fresh mint

Place all ingredients in a medium stockpot. Boil for 5 minutes; turn off heat and let stand for 5 hours. Strain through a coffee filter lined sieve, squeezing excess liquid from mint leaves.

To serve: add 1-cup concentrate to 2 quarts of cold water in a pitcher. Serve with ice and a garnish of mint. Makes 4 cups concentrate; about 8 servings per one cup concentrate.

*Concentrate freezes well :) I make this throughout Summer and freeze it so we can enjoy it all year round.

~Sharon

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - May 08 2009 :  10:00:32 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Wow! I can't wait to try it! I love mint and I have a fabulous little plant growing by my front porch. By the end of summer it should be nice size...or maybe not if I make this a lot! ;)

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Keeping in Touch: Previous Topic Keeping In Touch- Making Hay Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page