True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2006 :  10:05:24 PM  Show Profile
Hi Girls
Any ideas on what could be made with lace tablecloths that have seen better days? Nancy Jo

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2006 :  11:10:19 PM  Show Profile
Why do I get the feeling that this is right up Frannie's alley??
Go to Top of Page

Fabulous Farm Femmes
True Blue Farmgirl

792 Posts

Diane
Lakebay, Tacoma WA
792 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2006 :  12:39:08 AM  Show Profile  Send Fabulous Farm Femmes an AOL message
NO KIDDING!!!!!!!!!

PS Hi Diane from Diane
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2006 :  06:27:05 AM  Show Profile
oh my goodness! with valentine's day right around the corner .. heart shaped SACHETS come right to mind! and you can also use them with 'vintage linens' to make sweet little pillows. use them for the 'pocket' on a pillow .. and put some dried lavendar branches or other sweet smelling herb in the pocket. one of the most wonderful things i ever did see made from olde curtains ... was a 'curtain' for a window ... o.k. .. picture this ... the curtain background was the lace fabric and SHEER pockets in a close to the same shade were made and into each pocket was tucked some special little 'trinket'. a small vintage compo. dolly ... little bundle of herbs .. tiny toys from year's past .. vintage post cards .. 1800's photos of 'instant ancestors' .. etc. etc.

and of COURSE olde lace makes wonderful DOLLY underoos and aprons! make beautiful collars to go over your sweaters. a most beautiful APRON of course can be made using your lace!! lace makes a wonderful 'cuff' for tussie mussie bouquets. consider making these for all your loved ones for valentine's day! think of a 'ruffled' lace edge on a skirt! you can make a sweet 'lace gown' costume for a favorite little girl or an angel dolly dressed in lace with lace wings ... LAYER lace on top of a solid color tablecloth for a 'romantic' dinner .. i often used lace tablecloths on the tea table for 'victorian' yesteryear's children's tea parties .. the little girls thought it was so special! if you have a 'romantic' bedroom or bathroom .. you can make 'ruffled' valances at the top of your windows or at the top (or bottom) of your 'outer' shower curtain ... sweet little rectangular bags for hankies or undies .. button them up with a beautiful victorian button!!! little draw string bags or purses with something special (a glass heart, maybe) tucked inside for valentine's gifts .. oh .. and cut some lace in a circle (hem it if necessary) and sew beautiful beads or olde vintage buttons around the edge .. let them hang down a little .. these are wonderful little 'bug-keeper-outers' for iced tea glasses, tea cups, and open-topped pitchers. well .. that should keep you busy for a little while!!

True Friends, Frannie

Edited by - CabinCreek-Kentucky on Jan 25 2006 06:30:28 AM
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2006 :  06:48:54 AM  Show Profile
Frannie,
Wow!! that was some feedback, thankyou so much, I printed it off and will put your ideas to good use. When garage sale season comes round I will have to look for more lace. Thanks again Frannie for being there with the good ideas.
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

Utahfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1940 Posts

Portland Oregon
USA
1940 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2006 :  09:27:46 AM  Show Profile
Nancy, Frannie's our own Martha Stewart!

Happy Wishes!
Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2006 :  10:26:34 AM  Show Profile
Frannie you are just so inspiring. What a wonderful gift to this message board you are!

Diane

ps..hi Di from Di!
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2006 :  2:52:43 PM  Show Profile
well, there you go again gurlfrenz .. making me almost blush! thanks for the sweet words .. but then .. aren't we all just treasures for each other .. and that dear maryjane for making it all possible! xoxo

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Catherine Farmgirl Sister #76
Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2006 :  5:25:38 PM  Show Profile
Nancy, looks like you'll be busy!! What great ideas.

Frannie's not just our Martha Stewart but our very own HGTV!! And yes, MJ is the queen of all!!

My mother took some of my wedding dress lace and made a small dress for a nice little teddy bear that sits in my china closet. She also made a Christmas stocking with it.

Blessings to all y'all
Catherine

One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt."
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2006 :  04:54:52 AM  Show Profile
THANKS GIRLS, I WILL BE CUTTING UP THAT LACE TABLECLOTH AND LOOKING FOR MORE WHEN GARAGE SALE SEASON COMES ALONG!!
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2006 :  10:50:51 AM  Show Profile

Frannie
Since you were such a help with my lace tablecloth, thought maybe you could tell me what to do about this. I'am embrordering a small quilt top that is white. when I'am done and before I put the backing on, can I tea stain it? or should I have done that first?
Nancy Jo
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2006 :  11:18:15 AM  Show Profile
oh you can tea stain it afterwards .. but just be careful of any 'puckers' .. especially if the fabric has never been washed .. make sure it isn't going to 'shrink'.

GENTLE is the key-word here i think. don't put it in the washer or dryer. just 'dip' it and make sure that you get an 'even' tea stain .. i've actually done this and had the puckering and shrinking .. and i just call it PRIMITIVE!!!!

oh .. and make sure that your thread is 'color-fast' cuz this really would mess it up.

try taking some stitches on another piece of the fabric (with every embroidery thread that you used) if you can .. and 'rough it up' with stain and scrubbing .. to see how it reacts. let us all know how it comes out. would love to see a pic! xo

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2006 :  11:20:36 AM  Show Profile
when you're out looking for laces .. look for nice embroidered pieces for your windows as toppers. i don't cover up the windows (don't think i ever have in any house i've ever lived in) .. i'll take some pics of some 'laces' i've put over my windows to show ya' what i mean. xo

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2006 :  11:42:43 AM  Show Profile
Thankyou so much Frannie, what a big help you are !!!
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic LACE TABLE CLOTHS Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page