kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2009 :  06:53:04 AM  Show Profile
I buy alot of cat food. I have 6 cats. But I only feed them once in the morning. I have noticed lately how expensive it's getting. I went to T.S. last week. Bought an 18# bag of Cat Chow. $12.99. Plus I had a $2 off coupon on the bag, thank goodness. I also got a 50# bag of laying mash for $10.99 and a 50# bag of cracked corn for $7.99. So ok, why is cat foos so much more for so much less in the bag? I also noticed at K-Mart the other day a bag of Cat Chow for $13.50 and it was only 16#. What's up with that? Smaller bag, bigger price. Hmm.

Has anyone else noticed the bag getting smaller and the price getting bigger? And also the biggest bag of the dog chow is $20 for I think it's 48#. That lasts about a month for 3 dogs.

Kris

Life is what you make it. Always has been. Always will be.

electricdunce
True Blue Farmgirl

2544 Posts

Karin
Belmont ME
USA
2544 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2009 :  07:16:22 AM  Show Profile
Yes indeed, I have multiple cats as well, and noticed right off the bat how the bag got smaller and the price went up. It is like the 15 ounce packages of coffee, it is hard to find a one pound package.

Karin

Farmgirl Sister #153

"Give me shelter from the storm" - Bob Dylan
http://moodranch.blogspot.com
http://domesticnonsense.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

babysmama
True Blue Farmgirl

931 Posts

Elizabeth
Iowa
931 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2009 :  09:48:58 AM  Show Profile
The price of cat food is so much more expensive because the companies know that people pamper their pets and will pay as much as they charge. If we had to buy a 20# bag of chicken feed for $12.99 the companies know that we wouldn't pay it and would rather get rid of our chickens. So they can basically charge what they want for pet food because they know we will pay it.
-Elizabeth
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2009 :  12:48:29 PM  Show Profile
Yep. You are right about that. It is much easier to get rid of chickens, too. I could never get rid of a cat. I have one inside that I just do not like. She gets hair all over and throws up alot, too. And she makes my eyes itch. But do you think anyone would want a cat like that? No. So she stays here. That's her name, too. Soshe.

Kris

Go to Top of Page

mommatracy
True Blue Farmgirl

490 Posts

Tracy
My. Olive NC
USA
490 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2009 :  3:45:36 PM  Show Profile
I know how you feel Kristin. I was given a cat for a Christmas "present" back in 03 that was adoped from a local vets office. Isabella(Izzy) is not a warm fuzzy cat and yes she throws up and shreds my furniture and more. She really wants to love us but is so screwy that she freaks out when we pick her up. Nobody else would put up with her but like you said- she is not going anywhere. We love her,faults and all. No one else would have her ill butt. She will be with us until death parts us! Izzy-Izzy-Izzy cat.

www.cottagebythebay.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2009 :  6:08:15 PM  Show Profile
Ahh, maybe they're sisters! I'm glad she has a good home with you. Mine does, too. And all the cat chow she can eat!

Kris

Go to Top of Page

babysmama
True Blue Farmgirl

931 Posts

Elizabeth
Iowa
931 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2009 :  7:01:53 PM  Show Profile
One of our cats used to always puke and then I switched to a food that has meat (chicken, salmon, etc.) as the first ingredient instead of corn or grains and also started giving her one of those treats that also have hairball treatment in. She hasn't puked in over 6 months now, which is a first for her and we've had her for seven years!
-Elizabeth
Go to Top of Page

simone947
Farmgirl in Training

34 Posts

sarah
peru NY
34 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2009 :  06:17:00 AM  Show Profile
i know how it feels, a small little bag of catfood costs more then 100 lbs of our cow grain (we luckily have a guy down the road who makes all our own grain) the two cats are beyond sensitive to food, they will puke too if the protein isn't right (meat seems to go over way better then soy) they also need the urinary tract formula or else the vet bills start to pile up. who would thing a pair of ex-barn cats would be so expensive!!
Go to Top of Page

yasmine
True Blue Farmgirl

173 Posts

yasmine
wappingers falls ny
USA
173 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2009 :  7:19:09 PM  Show Profile
Babysmama is right.
I go with her.

yasmine
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2009 :  7:36:04 PM  Show Profile
I was at the store today looking at cat food bags and the ingredients. They almost all start with corn and corn gluten. One had turkey as the first ingre. and most onlt have chicken by-products. So what kind do you get, Elizabeth? I can't afford the Iams, either. And they have most all the same things as the cheaper bags.

Kris

Go to Top of Page

babysmama
True Blue Farmgirl

931 Posts

Elizabeth
Iowa
931 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2009 :  12:45:42 PM  Show Profile
Kris,
I get my pet food from a farm and supply store or Petsmart and it actually varies with what is on sale or what I have coupons for. Sometimes I even get the chicken-by-products because even those aren't ideal they are still better than grain as the first ingredient. The brand I stick with most often is Nutro Max cat food. I can get it on sale at Petsmart for around $18 for a 16 or 20 lb. bag (can't remember the size) and for our two cats it lasts a couple months. I cringed the first time I bought it because it is more expensive but they actually eat less of this food because it isn't made with as many fillers so it keeps them fuller longer so it evens out that the bags last a lot longer than the cheap stuff. You may just want to buy it once to see if you notice a difference, I think you will find that it is worth the added price. Our feed supply store is cheaper than Petsmart for if you have a Farm & Fleet or Theisens or whatever in the area you may want to check their animal feed section.
-Elizabeth
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2009 :  3:23:32 PM  Show Profile
We don't have those stores here. Just Tractor Supply. I'll check there next time I go. Thanks.

Kris

Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2009 :  5:45:56 PM  Show Profile
shrinking packages and inflated prices are infiltrating.

I have become a more savvy shopper and am taking more time these days to read labels and do price compairsons.

it was bad when ice cream boxes began to shrink

whatever happend to the true half gallon??

thought all the buy one get ones were too good to pass up, 'till I saw how tiny the boxes were becoming

we also have a TS, i alternate buying our chicken feed from here and our local independent guy. And actally, the locally made layer pellet makes my gals produce like crazy!

and we only have 2 cats BUT the chickens have discovered the food and there is also a ferrel cat lurking around so I loose patience when pet food is creeping higher too, and the poor cats don't even get to eat it!

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2009 :  7:44:05 PM  Show Profile
Sometimes my chickens will get in the cat room and eat the food, too. And we have an old tom cat that must have come with the house. He's OLD. He'll come around and eat but will not let me touch him. I don't mind him being here. All mine are fixed. He'll be gone for months at a time then come back. I saw him today out back. And I noticed another cat last week.

Kris

Go to Top of Page

babysmama
True Blue Farmgirl

931 Posts

Elizabeth
Iowa
931 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2009 :  11:17:56 AM  Show Profile
I saw this post on a refunding board. You can save some money this way!!

For those dog and cat owners. Tractor Supply is offering a 10% off coupon valid in store or online on all dog and cat products good till April 30, 2009. Download the coupon from the tractor supply website home page. The home page switches screens just wait for the coupon to come up

-Elizabeth
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2009 :  06:55:42 AM  Show Profile
We buy our dog/cat food from either Tractor Supply or our feed store, both carry the brand we use. A few months ago, the dog food that we bought shot up $8.00 in a month. No packaging issues, but the price increase was so considerable, and it hasn't dropped. The man at our feed store said it was because of corn prices.

Oddly enough, it's a lamb based food, but I suppose corn is in everything. We ended up switching to the same brand, different type of food and it's much more affordable. Four large dogs go through a 40 lb. bag every two weeks.

We also have a cat that vomits everytime she eats...I may try Elizabeth's method.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2009 :  07:14:01 AM  Show Profile
My hubby went yesterday to TS to get the big 48 lb. bag of dog chow. I always get it there because it's aroung $20. He called me to see if he was getting the right stuff because it was $23. So it's gone up $3 since the last time I bought it. So if it's because of corn prices, why is corn so cheap now? It's like $8 for 50 lbs. I'm not gettin' that concept.

Thanks for telling us about the coupon, Elizabeth. Every little bit helps. Sometimes the guy at the register gives me $2 off the bags.

Kris

Go to Top of Page

mulegirl
True Blue Farmgirl

184 Posts

rosemary
cottonwood pass co
USA
184 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2009 :  5:50:16 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by babysmama

One of our cats used to always puke and then I switched to a food that has meat (chicken, salmon, etc.) as the first ingredient instead of corn or grains and also started giving her one of those treats that also have hairball treatment in. She hasn't puked in over 6 months now, which is a first for her and we've had her for seven years!
-Elizabeth

happy trails
http://web.mac.com/rosemaryart
Go to Top of Page

mulegirl
True Blue Farmgirl

184 Posts

rosemary
cottonwood pass co
USA
184 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2009 :  5:54:48 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by babysmama

-Elizabeth

Having a catnip plant available for your cat to nibble onis really good for fur balls. It aids in breaking them down. My dear sweet Tonto, almost 18, has never had a furball, and has always had his own garden of catnip and grass.
good luck, and samrt move with the cat food switch. If you can find and afford organic cat food (and peple food!!) is best.

happy trails
http://web.mac.com/rosemaryart
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2009 :  06:51:13 AM  Show Profile
TS carries Blue Buffalo...same as what Petsmart carries.

prices are about the same...ingredients are better than Purina.

Poor cats who must be forced to eat corn and corn gluten meal.....

phooey!

Felines are carnivores and do much better on an all meat diet.

So babysmama, you were doing a good thing by switching the diet.

No matter the prices, pet foods that contain corn and CGM in the first 4-5 ingredients are inferior cheap proteine substitutes. Sometimes it shows in the animals' coats and fur condition.

Also be wary of BHT and BHA especially in softer pet foods and treats. These cause cancer and are carcinogines. Ethoxyn is another baddy.

For better choices, look for ingredient to read as a meat meal as the 1st ingredient, then a specifically named meat. If rice is added, you want whole brown rice. no meat by products
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Cat Food Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page