Page: of 2

BarefootGoatGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1495 Posts

Corrine
North Carolina
USA
1495 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2009 :  03:43:11 AM  Show Profile  Send BarefootGoatGirl a Yahoo! Message
ok. i really need a new knitting project (it'll keep me off this stupid comuter all the time) and i think i'm going to go for a pair of socks on two sets of dpns. i love the rythem of dpns and knitting both socks at the same time will keep me on task. thanks!

What we write today slipped into our souls some other day when we were alone and doing nothing.
-Brenda Ueland

http://quilandneedle.blogspot.com/

http://musingandmuttering.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2009 :  12:47:01 PM  Show Profile
I am so jealous of you gals who are close enough to get to sock summit...sounds wonderful. I have been reading about it on the Yarn Harlot blog.
If I could get through all the sock yarn in my stash I would have gifts for a year...BUT..I will be visiting at least one yarn shop when I go up north on Monday...I KNOW I will come home with some lovely sock yarn. It is just the way it is. My food storage looks good..so now I can work on sock yarn "storage" right? It just may come in handy..haha.
I am so glad to NOT be the only sock knitter here.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2009 :  8:26:35 PM  Show Profile
Hmm. Is it terribly difficult? I haven't knitted anything in over 20 years, and that was just learning to knit and pearl. But it sounds like you are enjoying it so much, I wonder if I should give it a shot? I have some sock knitting patterns but one look at them popped me back in a high school algebra nightmare. Maybe I need to toughen up and give it a try? Have to admit, a pair of self-made choose my own fun yarn socks (I have some special skeins set by from a friend) would just make me walk taller and smile secret self satisfaction. Maybe if I start now they would be ready when the weather cools again in the fall? :)

We make a difference. http://huckleberrywine.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2009 :  11:39:25 PM  Show Profile
I have never knitted socks. My mom did and it always looked SO difficult to me, lol.But after reading this topic i might give it a try someday. My dear neighbor is knitting socks too and she tells me it is not hard at all. SO who knows I might own a pair of "handmade by me" socks one day, lol

Hugs from Marian/Dutchy, a farmgirl from the Netherlands :)

My personal blog:
http://just-me-a-dutch-girl.blogspot.com/

Almost daily updates on me and mine :)
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2009 :  9:09:25 PM  Show Profile
It isn't nearly as hard as it looks...lots of needles there if you use the double points like I do, but you are really only using two at a time..so it just LOOKS hard. TRY it!!!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

StarMeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

940 Posts

T
MI
940 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2009 :  05:47:12 AM  Show Profile
Sock Summit http://www.socksummit.com I've been online trying to figure out how I could afford it!!! It looks like a blast! Hey, I figured out I could just plain knit on my socks while walking on the treadmill...finally knitting can be exercise!!
Go to Top of Page

vintagediva1
True Blue Farmgirl

1251 Posts

Michele
Brighton Michigan
USA
1251 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2009 :  10:47:05 AM  Show Profile
Just received the new CookieA sock book for my birthday. Lots of inspiration there
Michele

www.2vintagedivas.etsy.com

Love that good ole vintage junk
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2009 :  12:07:22 PM  Show Profile
I also love to knit socks. Have you ever made your own dp needles? I go to the craft or home supply stores and pick up some dowel rods of the smaller size and of hard wood. Cut them to 5 or 6 inches, sharpen both ends with a pencil sharpener and sand with sand paper. I usually make 2 sets and a couple of spares of the same size so that I can make both socks at the same time, work a few rows on one sock and then do a few rows on the next sock so that I can finish the pair at the same time. I use tooth brush holders to store my needle sets and use permanent makers on the outside of the holder to write the needle size which I use a needle sizer to know the size.
I also love to spin and dye the wool yarn for my socks. I love the satisfying feeling of starting something from scratch and making something that I love to wear. We have sheep and my grandchildren will ask for a pair of socks from their favorite sheep. Petie socks, Prissy socks, Bonnie socks....needless to say, I am way behind on making socks and mittens.
I also make small draw string bags so that I can keep my yarn in the bag with my needles. I can stand at ball games, tractor pulls, etc and have the ball of yarn in the bag on my left wrist and the yarn comes out the top of the bag...very handy!

www.coffmanspinningcfarm.blogspot.com

Contentment is the crown jewel of a happy life.
Go to Top of Page

StarMeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

940 Posts

T
MI
940 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2009 :  04:40:33 AM  Show Profile
I got a bunch of dowels to make needles a while back for a kids group I wanted to teach. It didn't come to fruition for our community ed classes but I think next fall I'll give it a go again. Do you remember that Japanese Knot Bag that someone made and showed online a while ago... http://showyourworkings.wordpress.com/tutorials/japanese-knot-bag-instructions Well, I tweaked it a little and use that as my sock bag. I made pockets on the inside to hold needles and what-not and have perfected a fairly sturdy bottom so it sits up like a bucket bag when I set it down. Otherwise it does the same job as a drawstring bag. It still only uses 2 fat quarters.

I love naming your socks! How cool is that! Who wouldn't want a pair of socks from their favorite sheep!!!!!
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2009 :  08:35:25 AM  Show Profile
T,
Good idea. I have just been making sacks with ribbon draw strings. I think I will try the pocket.
Sarita

Go to Top of Page

StarMeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

940 Posts

T
MI
940 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2009 :  05:07:28 AM  Show Profile
Sarita, how much raw wool would I need to make a pair of socks? My friend has a couple Jacob sheep...long, but cute, story....and she is getting them sheared next month. One is white and one is black. You got me very intriqued by Prissy's socks and what-not that I thought I would like to try it... I have a lovely drop spindle that I have "played" with a bit... I may be way over my head here but willing to give it a try!
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2009 :  07:36:03 AM  Show Profile
If you are getting it raw, I would get at least a pound but 2 would be better because you loose about 25%- 30% of weight when you wash it. Also with jacobs their wool can be so different in one fleece. I like to divide the different textures and colors and lengths separately. I can use the different colors to make stripes. I use the wool with more kink in the ribbing, longer stables in heel and toes for strength. I love hand spun yarn for warm wool winter socks and so does my family. I spin some wool into a thicker yarn for warm socks and for socks to wear with loafers or regular shoes, it is spun thinner, a sports weight.
Give it a try....you will love the socks.
Sarita

Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2009 :  12:45:17 PM  Show Profile
I agree...my favorite socks ever were the ones from my ewe Whitney. I havn't done that in awhile..I tend to spin worsted weight for hats and scarves and like that and buy sock yarn since I like it thin. I do have some cotton spun that I plan to make some ragg type socks ..thick and cozy..for my oldest son with. The ewes I have now (both Icelandic..one moorit and one black) would make lovely socks...Juliet and Trixie socks would sure be nice.

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2009 :  09:40:58 AM  Show Profile
For anyone wanting to learn to knit socks try the book "Learn To Knit Socks" by Edie Eckman that is put out by American School of Needlework. It is a very clear step-by-step guide using sport weight yarn. I love to knit socks - especially the fancy lacy ones. Jenny, you should try the "Bell Lace Wool-Ease Sock" a free download from knitlist.com - it's super easy and I have adapted it to sport weight with no problem.
Go to Top of Page

Betty J.
True Blue Farmgirl

1403 Posts

Betty
Pasco WA
USA
1403 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2009 :  09:48:20 AM  Show Profile
My father was an amputee and I knitted lots of socks for him, especially those gray ones with the red ribbing top. It was fun, especially since I only had to knit one sock at a time! My mother liked them because they were soft and kept him from getting sores on his feet.

Betty in Pasco
Go to Top of Page

5 acre Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1007 Posts

~~~*Terri*~~~
WA.
USA
1007 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2009 :  2:51:56 PM  Show Profile
I am just learning to knit, hopefully I can get good enough to knit socks.......

Farmgirl Sister #368
"It is most common for man to value most what has least worth."
My Farm and Garden blog....
http://blogonthefarmandgarden.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

StarMeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

940 Posts

T
MI
940 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2009 :  05:46:55 AM  Show Profile
I just finished my "one" sock. I had measured out correctly on the foot for the toe bed and then did my decreases and what-not. Very lovely...best I've done. Tried it on and just a tad too short/tight in the toes. I put it away for a couple of days. I didn't really like the sock. Colors didn't look as good as I thought they would. I mean it's just a plain ole thing anyway. BUT....I ripped it out to add a 1/2 inch. Must have been cranky while knitting to knit up that toe so tight. But I don't really want this pair to just sit.... I borrowed The Ultimate Sock Book from the local library. Lot's of cute patterns in there. Best thing about it though is their chart for all sizes/all weights of yarn for sockes boh toe-up and top down!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Sock knitting Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page