Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 Looking for Feedsacks
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Looking for Feedsacks Next Topic
Page: of 2

Aunt Clemys Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

157 Posts

Linda
MA
USA
157 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2009 :  08:48:24 AM  Show Profile
Does anyone remember making kitchen "tea towels" for drying dishes out of feedsacks --- the large, white squares that could almost cover a little kitchen table? After a good washing and hemming, out came the needlework iron on transfer patterns and embroidery thread. I have a set my mother made for my hope chest during the late 60's using a treadle sewing machine. I have used my two sets, one from hope chest and one found at estate sale, for over 30 years and they are still going strong. The towels are used for drying dishes, covering fresh baked goods and a host of other household needs. When sorting fabric recently, I found a set (12) of the white feed sacks in mint condition along with a few packages of the iron on transfers for needlework---- the towels are ready to go for a day of the week tea towel set for another generation. Over the years, I have collected sacks that sugar, salt and other perishables were packaged in. The most treasured item is a quilt made entirely of feed sacks in all sorts of vintage prints. As kids, we also saved the little tobacco bags from adults to keep our little treasures in --- as balls and jacks or yo yo. Thanks for the info on the websites and book to read soon --- Sugar Sack Quilts. The repro's and vintage are wonderful.

Aunt Clemys Farm Girl
Farm Girl #300

Kansas to Massachusetts
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Looking for Feedsacks Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page