Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Herbal Wisdom
 Wild plants for eating and Medicine, So Calif
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Herbal Wisdom: Previous Topic Wild plants for eating and Medicine, So Calif Next Topic  

vicki Cothren
Farmgirl at Heart

4 Posts

Vicki
Pomona Cal
USA
4 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2009 :  6:44:38 PM  Show Profile
We are looking for information on wild plants for eating and Medicine that grow in So Calif and ways to prepare. Dandelion and Lamb quarter comes to mind. Any suggestions?

pmorello
True Blue Farmgirl

56 Posts

Patricia
Montgomery NY
USA
56 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2009 :  8:57:53 PM  Show Profile
The Essential Herbal just had a big article on this. My family loves dandelion fritters- pick young nearly opened dandelion flowers that you are sure have not been sprayed or near anything or area that has been sprayed. Make a batter of 1 cup flour, 1 cup milk, 1 egg, 1 tsp baking powder, salt and pepper to taste. Dip the flowers in the batter and fry in an iron skillet with olive oiluntil they are puffed up and a little golden brown. Yum!

Pat

Pat
www.patriciarose-apotpourri.com
www.patriciarose-apotpourriof.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

homesteaderbelle
True Blue Farmgirl

391 Posts

Belle

USA
391 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2009 :  6:27:47 PM  Show Profile  Click to see homesteaderbelle's MSN Messenger address
In Mary-Jane's outpost book, there are recipes that call for wild herbs. I tried the dandy green pasta made with dandelion greens taht was in the book, it was delicious! There is also a recipe in the book for a coffee/tea like drink that is made with roasted dandelion greens.

The blooms of violets are edible. I love the flavor of violets, I think they have a nutty kind of flavor.

Belle

http://www.homesteaderbelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Herbal Wisdom: Previous Topic Wild plants for eating and Medicine, So Calif Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page