Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 is Peanut butter banned at your schools?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic is Peanut butter banned at your schools? Next Topic  

mellaisbella
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

melanie
living on Anne of Green Gables land
Canada
1862 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2009 :  06:52:02 AM  Show Profile
Just wondering
Is peanut butter banned at your school. All peanut products are banned at our schools. No nut products of any kind. It is so serious that you can't even let your child have nut products before they go to school in the morning.

"we must be the change we wish to see in the world"
farmgal #150

Brew Crew
True Blue Farmgirl

676 Posts

Molly
Arizona
676 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2009 :  07:01:52 AM  Show Profile
It's sort of ridiculous, I have to say. Are peanut allergies something that has mutated over time? Look back a couple generations; there were so fewer people with this problem! I don't understand the sudden influx of peanut allergy problems....I understand those who are deathly allergic to them; that is quite serious and if it was my child in that situation, I would want everyone to take as many precautions as possible. What I don't get is why all of a sudden there are 5 times as many people with this problem? Sorry, little rant.....

To answer your question, though, yes! My kids' school is peanut free. Not to the extreme you state (where you can't eat nuts before going to school) but it is avoided in the lunch room and class parties, etc.

The Biz www.tvalahandmade.com
The Blog: http://blog.tvalahandmade.com/
The Bits www.happydalehobby.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

happyhousewife
True Blue Farmgirl

201 Posts

Mary
North Pole Alaska
201 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2009 :  07:02:23 AM  Show Profile
Nuts are banned in our homeschool. :)

http://hiswifeandtheirmama.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Ingrid
True Blue Farmgirl

432 Posts

Ingrid
BC
Canada
432 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2009 :  07:21:11 AM  Show Profile
Our school is peanut free as well. I have the same questions as Molly but on the other hand I have a sister who is severely allergic to almost everything (seems like) and is also in the 1% of the population that is allergic to different odors so has to wear a respirator a lot of the times. I often wonder is it the actual food people are allergic to or is it the way it is grown, sprayed, chemicalized or whatever other synthetic processing something goes through before it gets to our shelves. Something to think about.

Give thanks to yourself everyday for all the wonderful things you do!
Go to Top of Page

kpaints
True Blue Farmgirl

1564 Posts

karen
cheney wa
1564 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2009 :  07:53:18 AM  Show Profile  Send kpaints an AOL message
Would this have anything to do with the horrible scandal involving the factory where peanuts are packaged? With all the deaths?

Find your joy and live it. http://cheneybaglady.blogspot.com/http://www.kpaints.etsy.com FG #377
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2009 :  08:52:06 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I was allergic to peanuts when I was younger and was allergic even if they were organic or chemical grown. The reason we might be having more sensitivities and allergies to them might have something to do with gene splicing and GM foods. It is pretty much impossible to determine for each person which exact gene of the say- peanut plant it is that our body views as something horrible and thus to fight against- so when people start inserting genes from plants into other plants willy nilly- it's like Russian roulette for those of us with allergies. You never know if that wheat cereal or corn cereal that 10 years ago was fine is still going to be fine today.

I have heard of people being so sensitive to peanuts that they can't touch the skin of someone who consumes peanuts and can have an anaphelectic shock reaction if they are even in the same room with peanut products. I think that is the most extreme situation you could have, but if say a family all has this reaction and they have several kids in the school system, I would assume the school would have to take precautions.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

SheilaC
True Blue Farmgirl

1948 Posts

Sheila
Vermont
USA
1948 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2009 :  10:10:50 AM  Show Profile
Thankfully ours is not. My kiddos take pb&j most days for lunch. They go to a small Christian school, though, so perhaps we have so few students that we don't have ones with severe allergies.
Go to Top of Page

wild daisy
True Blue Farmgirl

503 Posts

Madelynne
Billings Montana
USA
503 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2009 :  12:30:35 PM  Show Profile
Here in Billings this past Sunday there was an article in the paper about a child in one of the area high schools who is very allergic to peanuts. Even the smell of peanut butter cookies cooking causes her to have a sever reaction.

My son was allergic to any foods with milk in them as a pre-teenager but seems to have grown out of this allergy (he is now 23). He would have an asthma attack. Allergies of any kind are very deadly and must be taken seriously! I think there were many children years ago that were allergic to peanuts. Some of those might not have known or been informed of the allergy and might have died. Example back in about 1910 my great uncle died of a milk allergy at the age of 10 (sever asthma attack). He had no previous symptoms. This gene was past to my younger brother and also to my son. Both are doing find with the early diagnosis.

Madelynne

johnandmadelynne.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4741 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4741 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2009 :  1:50:56 PM  Show Profile
Our school bans peanut butter too. I use sunbutter (made from sunflower seeds) as a substitute. My son is in kindergarten and his best buddy is deathly allergic to tree nuts, peanuts in particular. The same little boy's toddler brother is severely allergic to all rice products. He has been hospitalized 6 times for it and turned blue each time.

I am very thankful none of us have food allergies home here. It must be difficult trying to analyze everything before you can let your kid eat it.

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2009 :  5:40:54 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Dawn- That was my childhood. As soon as I learned to read, I learned to read labels. You would be surprised at how many things have milk or milk derivitives in them! Let alone peanuts! A lot of cafe's will fry their fries and such in peanut oil, so you have to be really careful and always ask. I got the strangest looks. I am small anyway and looked about 3 years younger than my age growing up, so we would go to restraunts and there I would be, grilling the waitress about the ingredients to the food, what type of oil they fry things in etc etc.

It's also really hard to know you can't eat something (especially a treat like cookies or ice cream) and watch others eat it.

I am so glad schools are taking allergies seriously. I had lots of teachers that just shrugged it off thinking my family was overly reactive and that my allergies were more in my head than real. That was tough too.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

melanie47601
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Melanie
Boonville IN
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2009 :  8:55:55 PM  Show Profile  Send melanie47601 a Yahoo! Message
My daughter's school is somewhat touchy about peanuts and peanut butter, but it is because one the kids in the school is deathly allergic to peanuts. The school tries to get parents not to send any kind of peanut products to school but it hasn't actually banned them yet.

Melanie

Shop~ http://www.squidoo.com/buyinghomemade
Blog~ http://wheelsarealwaysturning.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2009 :  10:25:01 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
It makes me wonder what CHEMICAL is like peanuts? Plastic? Herbicides? What I mean is- our bodies don't normally reject things out of hand. It _should_ only reject those things that have a high likelihood of being really bad for us. So is this great increase in allergies to things like peanuts because there is something in the make up of the peanut that is very similar to a bad chemical or pollutant? Are we exposing out selves to something that so far is deemed "safe" and the only natural thing that our body knows to fight off is peanuts or other highly allergenic things? It would be really interesting to see some studies what size and shape the peanut molecules are and what they most resemble in our chemical world.

I personally believe that a lot of the maladies that are creeping up today are a result of our world evolving and developing faster that our bodies can handle. I feel like the world is racing on a speedway when we haven't quite learned how to walk yet. Less than 100 years ago more people got around by live transportation than by mechanical and today people have machines to walk for them! (The Segway)

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com

Edited by - Alee on Mar 24 2009 10:26:51 PM
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4741 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4741 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2009 :  06:56:09 AM  Show Profile
I'm surprised your school doesn't have a ban yet Melanie. Ours goes through every kids lunch and any treats that are brought in to the school (birthdays and class parties) to make sure there are no peanuts.

Alee it was great you were so diligent about what you eat. I'm sure it wasn't fun for you to read all the labels. I send fresh fruit for my son's lunch treats. I also serve it when is friend is here playing.

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

vintagediva1
True Blue Farmgirl

1251 Posts

Michele
Brighton Michigan
USA
1251 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2009 :  10:29:11 AM  Show Profile
Did any of you see the report on ABC evening news that they are now treating (in clinical trial) peanut allergies by giving small amounts of peanuts and increasing the tolerance. Sounds like homeopathics.

Doctors Without Borders has a campaign in Niger to feen critically malnourished children with a product called "Plumpynut"
it is peanut butter and milk proteins. The mothers can come to the clinics and receive a weekly or monthly supply for their children. And virtually, no child has shown an allergy or sensitivity to the product
It costs about 50 cents a day to provide this.
You can find out more an Doctors without borders website.
Michele

www.2vintagedivas.etsy.com

Love that good ole vintage junk
Go to Top of Page

Mikki
True Blue Farmgirl

1510 Posts

Mikki
Austin Indiana
USA
1510 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2009 :  7:59:10 PM  Show Profile
They are banned at our schools also and have been for quite awhile. But it was due to the contaminated peanut butter.

~~Blessings, Mikki Jo

"Courage is being scared to death... but saddling up anyway" ***John Wayne

http://main.acsevents.org/goto/iloveyoumom

http://burningmeadowsprings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic is Peanut butter banned at your schools? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page