Room To Grow
True Blue Farmgirl

974 Posts

Deborah
Kingston Georgia
USA
974 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2009 :  7:46:15 PM  Show Profile
I didnt think I was allergic to anything but ragweed...But I guess I am. I have taken a Zyrtic and it does well for about 6 hrs and it is supposed to be for 24 hrs. I hate to take anibiotics or anything like that. What is a girl to do.
Deborah

we have moved to our farm...and love it

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2009 :  8:07:43 PM  Show Profile
Deborah,

Try a Neti-Pot. I deal with sinus issues and allergies. I used to take Tylenol Sinus nearly everyday before I got a Neti-pot. It has helped so much and now I only take sinus or allergy meds maybe twice a month :)

Here's a link with more info. Hope this helps.

http://www.himalayaninstitute.org/Netipot/NetiPotGateway.aspx

~Sharon

By His Grace, For His Glory
Go to Top of Page

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2009 :  9:08:36 PM  Show Profile
Ditto It has helped me a great deal.

Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

Ingrid
True Blue Farmgirl

432 Posts

Ingrid
BC
Canada
432 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2009 :  07:32:20 AM  Show Profile
Not sure what a Neti-pot is but my sister (allergic to everything) got this recipe from her doctor. Boil three cups water add 1 tsp sugar, 1 tsp. salt and 1 tsp baking soda. Let cool. Then she plugs one nostril at a time and snorts it. Sounds weird but it works. Clears all sinus passages and doesn't harm you.

Give thanks to yourself everyday for all the wonderful things you do!
Go to Top of Page

kissmekate
True Blue Farmgirl

890 Posts

Kate
Delano Minnesota
890 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2009 :  7:39:13 PM  Show Profile
I second the neti pot. I use one almost every day. I used to take claritin everyday, but now I only take it once in a while during the summer.

Don't miss out on a blessing, just because it isn't packaged the way you expected. ~MaryJo Copeland
Go to Top of Page

KayB
True Blue Farmgirl

540 Posts

Kay
Del City Oklahoma
USA
540 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2009 :  09:58:05 AM  Show Profile
I saw the Neti pot in use on Discovery Health the other day and really am about to buy one. I seem to spend about 3 months out of the year living on Sudafed. A humidifier has helped some. My problem is putting water up my nose. When I was a kid and got water up my nose, it hurt so bad! I couldn't get a nose plug fast enough to go swimming. One of my problems, too, has been that my nose has been broken a few times and my sinuses don't drain properly. So let's hope the pot helps.

Life's a dance you learn as you go
Go to Top of Page

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2009 :  10:03:25 AM  Show Profile
You have to have a saline solution in the water and keep it a bit on the warm side NOT hot and it will do wonders. I love it when I get into something an I start to sneeze I will do the Neti pot and withen a few minutes the itch and sneeze is gone.

Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

GaiasRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2552 Posts

Tasha-Rose
St. Paul Minnesota
2552 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2009 :  10:55:31 AM  Show Profile
You can get pharmaceutical grade salt to put in the water instead of using saline solution. I've done both and recommend the pharm salt instead. ALSO....GIRL, GET YOUR HANDS ON SOME LOCAL HONEY!!!!! Tried and true, I am telling you. This girl has the worst sinus possible. I had a severe sinus infection as a child-like my sinus rotted itself. I had surgery and all growing up I was miserable. when I was around 20 I learned about local honey for allergies and sinus trouble. I have never ever had to use anything since other than honey and my neti pot. I eat honey all the time. I have at least 4 tablespoons of it per day plus some in tea and food and kombucha.

It works for me and I swear by it.

~*~Brightest Blessings~*~
Tasha-Rose
Farmgirl Sister #88

Blogs:
http://gaiarose.wordpress.com
Etsy:
http://ForestFaeries.etsy.com

"Joyful chaos, working in tune with the seasons, telling itme by the sun, variety, change and self-direction; all this wwas replaced with a brutal, standardized work culture, the effects of which we are still suffering from today." - Tom Hodgkinson in 'How To Be Idle'
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4738 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4738 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2009 :  11:33:04 AM  Show Profile
Does anyone know if stores sell the Neti-Pot? My husband is having a terrible time with his sinuses right now. Honey is out of the question for him, he can't stand the stuff.

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2009 :  12:28:18 PM  Show Profile
Health Food and Natural Food stores should have some. I also saw some at Wal-Mart by the sinus and allergy meds :)

~Sharon

By His Grace, For His Glory

http://merryheartjournal.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2009 :  12:56:20 PM  Show Profile
Tasha your are so right I was not thinking when I said Saline the salt stuff is much better.

Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

KayB
True Blue Farmgirl

540 Posts

Kay
Del City Oklahoma
USA
540 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2009 :  1:02:43 PM  Show Profile
I've seen them at GNC stores.

Life's a dance you learn as you go
Go to Top of Page

Canadian farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

482 Posts

Lori
Ontario
Canada
482 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2009 :  09:13:41 AM  Show Profile
I have been sick for two weeks with some kind of a chest cold, but getting better, then yesterday I woke up with my face swollen, upper teeth hurting, and awful facial pain when bending down. I knew right away--sinus infection! So, off to the clinic last night, where they prescribed antibiotics and recommended a neti pot!

I have heard a lot about them this fall, so decided to try it. Well, it's a very WEIRD feeling, but does feel better afterwards! (and not something I want to do with an audience!)

I got mine for $12.99 and it included 50 packets of saline solution to mix in the pot.

I wonder if I had had the neti pot earlier, could I have avoided the sinus infection altogether? At least I can use this in the future with colds.

Lori

Farmgirl Sister #183
Go to Top of Page

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2009 :  09:41:44 AM  Show Profile
Yes I have been sinus infection free for about 2 years. After at least 2 a year before the neti pot.

Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Sinuses Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page