Mother Hen
True Blue Farmgirl

604 Posts

Cindy
Peck ID
USA
604 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2009 :  01:08:14 AM  Show Profile
I used old clothing that I got 'dirt cheap' from yard sales (the last hour they just want to get rid of stuff and not have to haul it off) plus old clothing of my families. Then I used 2 velour blankets for the batting inside. One blanket wasn't long enough and I had an odd sized one that I cut and added to the bottom of the 1st one. Now it was long enough for my quilt top. I did go buy a $1/yd material from Walmart to back this with and not knowing what I wanted to do on the sides to "finish" it off, I used regular blanket binding that I got for I think $1 a roll (used better part of each of 2 rolls, still have more of each left) I had mint green binding on one roll and cream color on the other roll. I was going to try to tie this quilt with yarn but couldn't do it with the thickness of the blanket and the cotton quilt top, so..... I used my quilt thread doubled up and tied it with that. This is no conventional quilt.........it's an old fashioned "make do with what you have or can get cheap" quilt.
DH hates lots of blankets on the bed in the winter but wants to be warm (our room is cold in the winter) so we tried it out........I removed a store bought quilt and a heavy (very old) bed spread off our bed and just used this on top of top sheet. And.....do you know what???........it is warmer then when I've had 3 or 4 blankets/comforters on the bed. That's all we've been using now for about a month. I'm going to keep my eyes open at the thrift store for more blanket binding and more of those "filler" blankets so I can make more of my style quilts.
Here's a picture of it.........

I know it isn't pretty or perfect, but my goal was to make it warm...I succeeded. The ribbon you see down the left side of the picture is because I was fool enough to think I might be able to run it through my machine to sew it all together, but it didn't cooperate (too bulky) so I covered my mistake with a ribbon. Like I said, not pretty but warm.
Cindy

FARMGIRLS CAN DO ANYTHING!!!

I will bless the Lord at all times: his praise shall continually be in my mouth. Psalms 34:1

southerncrossgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

631 Posts

Gena
Harmony NC
USA
631 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2009 :  04:59:08 AM  Show Profile
Oh Cindy, You are so smart. How long did it take you to make it? I would love to make a quilt for my children to pass down. Maybe find some of their own old clothes to make them from. It is an idea. I have lots of ideas in my dream world where I have all this TIME stored! LOL!

"A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes"==Cinderella
Go to Top of Page

Diane B Carter
True Blue Farmgirl

1270 Posts

Diane
Blasdell N.Y.
USA
1270 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2009 :  05:21:24 AM  Show Profile
Someday I will make one also. I've always wanted to but I don't have much room to work in, You may have given me the push I need to get started. At least cutting the material. Very good job, you should be proud of it and it will keep you extra warm as it was made with your own hands. Very Nice!

Hope all your days are Sunnydays.
dianebcarterhotmailcom.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Mother Hen
True Blue Farmgirl

604 Posts

Cindy
Peck ID
USA
604 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2009 :  10:45:03 AM  Show Profile
Gena, funny you should ask..........this quilt took me 12 years from start to finish. The reason is: I started sewing some squares together when I was on "bed rest" while pregnant with my DD. Naturally I put it all away when she was born. I pulled it out when she was 5 and in school and added more squares. I finally finished the quilt top.
If I were to guess how many hours it took me to make this I'd say maybe 40 hours give or take? But I wasn't in a rush......obviously.

Diane-I've thought about doing a quilt out of my kids clothes as they grew up but alas, I haven't. I'd go through a cleaning spree and give the clothes to someone who I thought could get some wear out of them.

I have been interested(but not brave enough to tackle yet) the memory quilts that have the photos printed on the material. I have tons of photos and a scanner, but I don't want to spend a lot of money to do it. I get a THRILL out of doing things as inexpensively as possible.

I too have always wanted to make a quilt. I've even bought a small quilt top in KY years ago that is made out of men's ties so I was on a kick of collecting them for a while, but during a few moves when I was a single mom I donated them to cut down on my loads to move. I too have an active imagination with tons of time that this world just doesn't seem to afford me. I'd love to see others post their quilts.

Cindy

I will bless the Lord at all times: his praise shall continually be in my mouth. Psalms 34:1

Edited by - Mother Hen on Mar 22 2009 10:45:51 AM
Go to Top of Page

electricdunce
True Blue Farmgirl

2544 Posts

Karin
Belmont ME
USA
2544 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2009 :  11:42:20 AM  Show Profile
That is a wonderful quilt! It is so great to use material that would otherwise be pitched somewhere. I love the really simple ones, never can be too many colors for me. I tried to make a blue and white quilt once, it nearly killed me. I couldn['t do it, I had to sneak in a few more colors.

Keep on quilting, girl, you're off to a great start!

Karin

Farmgirl Sister #153

"Give me shelter from the storm" - Bob Dylan
http://moodranch.blogspot.com
http://domesticnonsense.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2009 :  11:57:51 AM  Show Profile
Great job Cindy! This is why I must learn to sew this year :)

Check out this blog.

http://pleasantviewschoolhouse.blogspot.com/search/label/Quilting

The gal has been making scrap quilts that are also very nice :)

~Sharon

By His Grace, For His Glory
Go to Top of Page

Mother Hen
True Blue Farmgirl

604 Posts

Cindy
Peck ID
USA
604 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2009 :  12:33:53 PM  Show Profile
Karin-Thank you! I am one that NEEDS much praise and affirmation so again, thank you very much.

Sharon- OH NO!! That woman is way more talented then I. She makes absolutely gorgeous quilts!! Wow, I'm going to keep her page pulled up in a tab for a long time so I can just sit and look at her beautiful quilts!! Thank you for sharing her blog with me!!

Cindy

Go to Top of Page

idsweetie72
True Blue Farmgirl

129 Posts

Sandra
New Meadows idaho
USA
129 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2009 :  4:47:26 PM  Show Profile
this is cool!

Mazy Day Farm
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2009 :  4:59:17 PM  Show Profile
It is very pretty, and perfect in a lovely way! I love your quilt! I like things best when they are not fancy perfect don't you?...it looks so warm, so "cottagey". and it is pretty to look at....Your quilt is really wonderful! It is so cozy.

Farmgirl Sister # 31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13

Edited by - jpbluesky on Mar 22 2009 5:01:28 PM
Go to Top of Page

Maryjane Lee
True Blue Farmgirl

2195 Posts

Maryjane
CA
USA
2195 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2009 :  4:19:11 PM  Show Profile
You did a fantasic job on your first quilt! Good for you!

Hugs,
Maryjane Lee

Farmgirl #44
Sisters on the Fly #595

http://thebeehivecottage.blogspot.com

http://beehivecottage.etsy.com

Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4740 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4740 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2009 :  8:12:57 PM  Show Profile
Congratulations Cindy, I love your quilt and it looks so warm and cozy too! You did a great job, I wish I could sew.

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

harmonyfarm
True Blue Farmgirl

785 Posts

Debbie
Southeastern Ohio
USA
785 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2009 :  6:05:26 PM  Show Profile
Way to go Cindy! I learned to sew some 37 years ago in my first Home Economics class. We made gym bags out of bath towels. I was hooked. For years and years I made my own clothes. Both of my grandmothers were quilters. When they both passed away, I thought to myself if I don't continue the tradition it will be lost. I remember the feeling I got when I finished my first quilt. It was utter and total JOY! I hope you feel that way too, whenever you finish a quilt!

Debbie

"If you can't find the time to do it right...how will you find the time to do it over"
Go to Top of Page

Mother Hen
True Blue Farmgirl

604 Posts

Cindy
Peck ID
USA
604 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2009 :  10:18:55 PM  Show Profile
Thanks ladies. I learned to sew the same way....home economics in high school. That year for Christmas my parents bought me a no-frills sewing machine that I still have. My dad set me to mending his jeans and patching holes right away. My paternal grandmother was a seamstress and made all my father's and my aunt's clothes when they were growing up. She never made a quilt, and now she has arthritis in her hands so bad that she can't sew at all anymore. My mother is always amazed when I sew something up, whether it's from a pattern or just "off the cuff", she can't sew more than a button on. So I make things for her from time to time.....she ALWAYS appreciates it.

Thank you all for your encouragement......I believe I'm going to make one or two more quilts in my near future if I can find the time.

Cindy

Go to Top of Page

Suzan
True Blue Farmgirl

659 Posts

suzanne
duncannon pa
USA
659 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2009 :  06:59:56 AM  Show Profile
I too learned how to sew in 4H and home ec - we were just having a conversation the other day about how they don't offer home ec in schools anymore...that is just terrible! We learned how to sew, cook, set a table, wash dishes, all kinds of things. Kids don't get it at home anymore and now not at school either...
Go to Top of Page

harmonyfarm
True Blue Farmgirl

785 Posts

Debbie
Southeastern Ohio
USA
785 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2009 :  10:36:30 AM  Show Profile
I always wanted to be a home ec teacher and never followed my dream. I'd be out of a job now though. They have replaced home ec at our high school with Life Sciences classes....that are so out of the realm of teaching kids how to cook, sew and balance a checkbook....who teaches them this stuff now?

Debbie

"If you can't find the time to do it right...how will you find the time to do it over"
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2009 :  1:23:01 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
That's a great quilt!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2009 :  3:00:17 PM  Show Profile
Really cute and cuddly looking. Great job!

We make a difference. http://huckleberrywine.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Nifty Thrifty: Previous Topic I made my first quilt!! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page