jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2009 :  5:17:36 PM  Show Profile
share enough of my life with you all. But last evening was memorable, and I really want to write about it. It ranks right up there with the time I met MaryJane.

I am current president of Friends of Dance, a non-profit organization for Florida State University Dance Department. Suzanne Farrell, a legendary dancer, is a visiting professor/faculty member there. We were invited to a cocktail buffet at an historic plantation near Thomasville Georgia last night in her honor. And I had to present her with a "chair" in the FSU Theatre.

We pulled up to a drive lined with live oaks hanging with Spanish moss. The plantation house was lovely, but so comfortable. The grounds were so quiet and overflowing with the flowers of spring. It was a magical, but down to earth evening. In other words, Southern Charm existed plentiful! I only wish my farmgirl friends could have been there too! Suzanne Farrell shared with me that she loves old wicker, and compared dancers to spring garden flowers who bloom for so short a time, but bring such beauty to the world. She was so down to earth, so kind, and so focused, just like someone else we all know!

How I wish I could be like that, but I feel fortunate that I have been able to meet two women who are!

Farmgirl Sister # 31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13

Edited by - jpbluesky on Mar 21 2009 5:19:21 PM

lovelady
True Blue Farmgirl

533 Posts

Toni
Indiana
USA
533 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2009 :  5:55:28 PM  Show Profile
Congratulations, Jeannie! That's sounds wonderful and so so special! I can only imagine what an enchanted evening you must have had. We just drove through Thomasville and those trees are spectacular. I am so happy for you! Thanks for sharing! So were/are you a dancer?
Go to Top of Page

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2009 :  6:30:23 PM  Show Profile
Sounds WONDERFUL Jeannie! Wish I could have just been a fly on the wall at that party.

Such kind people remind us that not ALL hope is lost for mankind.... or WOMAN-kind!!! (LOL!!) ...and yes, thank you for sharing... Hugs~~ Tracy

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. ~~ George Carlin
Go to Top of Page

julia hayes
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

julia
medical lake wa
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2009 :  6:33:48 PM  Show Profile
Jeannie, this is just gorgeous. Enchanting is such a good word. When I read your description I kept getting whiffs of freshly mown grass. It isn't Spring where I live yet, so this is particularly lovely for me to read.

....she was so down to earth, so kind, and so focused, just like someone else we all know!...

I have to say, I put you right there without hesitation or reservation. You possess presence, which is something quite rare. You are so kind, so down to earth, so focused in your care for those of us in special need here. You respond to my posts and I look forward them. I try not to expect them but I notice that they're always there. You bring warmth to me that is both like the sun and a warm summer shower rejuvenating everything it touches. You know what happens when the sun and the rain collide don't you? A rainbow...that is you.
~julia

being simple to simply be
Farmgirl #30
www.julia42.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2009 :  7:08:28 PM  Show Profile
Yes....I agree...Jeanne is a perfect rainbow.
Sounds like a wonderful setting..and how neat to be able to be with such a wonderful gal. (for both of you!!!)
I love your posts!

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2009 :  09:17:49 AM  Show Profile
Gosh, thank you! Unexpected compliments are the best! Not to sound corny, but comments from two such wonderful women, that is even better.

Suzanne Farrell danced with greats of the dance world, and was a muse to George Balanchine. But you could not have picked her out of the crowd the other night. She is tiny, pretty, and real, and then you realize she has travelled the world, danced on every famous stage there is and was honored at the Kennedy Center along Robert Redford, and many greats when they honor five people each year.

It really did make me think of meeting MaryJane in Atlanta, and we all sat on the back porch of Karin's home and had lunch, and MJ sat beside me and talked about life in general, and babies, and her work, and she was so quiet and unassuming. Both women have the extraordinary ability to make everyone feel like their friend.

To answer a question above, I did dance from 6-20 years of age. Was in a small company, but now I like to help support young dancers in their efforts. Suzanne said that evening that dancers are grateful for support like that, because all they want to do is simply dance. She brought six dancers from her company, and they were all so sweet, and from many countries. One young woman from Bulgaria was taking photos like crazy....it was all so different for her, and she said she felt like she had entered one of the books she had read about the south.

Farmgirl Sister # 31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13

Edited by - jpbluesky on Mar 22 2009 09:26:33 AM
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2899 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2899 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2009 :  12:17:55 PM  Show Profile
Shirley Jean
I am from Cincinnati, & know of Suzanne Farrell very well. What a treat for you! I know that she comes back here from time to time to do workshops, but I have never had the pleasure of seeing her live. I was a fan of hers & Gelsey Kirklands both when they danced under Balanchine, although we all know who his favorite was. Wink Wink. I have the DVD of Suzanne's life & relish it each time I watch it
It sounds like an incredible, gorgeous evening. Post some pics if you can. I would love to see them.
Go to Top of Page

harmonyfarm
True Blue Farmgirl

785 Posts

Debbie
Southeastern Ohio
USA
785 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2009 :  5:01:29 PM  Show Profile
swoon.....from your description, I was there too...only in spirit....don't ya just love it when events occur that take your breath away.....glad you had a wonderful time!

Debbie

"If you can't find the time to do it right...how will you find the time to do it over"
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2009 :  8:27:25 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
That sounds like a perfectly wonderful evening! I am so glad you enjoyed yourself so much!!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Sometimes I don't...... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page