Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Garden Gate
 Neighbor's Chemically Treated Yard
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic Neighbor's Chemically Treated Yard Next Topic  

mimilou
Farmgirl in Training

13 Posts

Mary Lou
Lancaster PA
USA
13 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2009 :  11:20:03 AM  Show Profile
We live in a development where our neighbors on either side have their yards chemically treated. We would like to plant a garden but I fear that these chemicals will leach into our vegies etc. I'd appreciate your thoughts as to - should we go ahead and plant or nix planting a garden. Thanks!

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2009 :  12:18:18 PM  Show Profile
Wow I had a garden in Texas 35 years ago and never even once thought about that fact. Both neighbors and I use a Chem lawn service and the days they would treat the yard you could smell the chemicals. We ate the produce after a good wash and never had any problem. I don't know I would do it now. Good question.

Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2009 :  6:51:38 PM  Show Profile
Mary Lou, you could do the raised beds. Just put black plastic down first and fill with a good soil. Maybe the days they have their lawns treated you could cover it up. I wish people would not spray their lawns. One day they may have to plant gardens theirselves. Then what will they do?

We have a place near us that rents garden spaces. It's an organic farm. They are always full by this time. Maybe you could see if there is a place near you that rents garden spots.

Good luck. Kris

Turn your face to the sun and the shadows fall behind you. Maori proverb
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2009 :  9:15:04 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Are you down hill from them? I would think that unless you were sharing a fenceline with the sprayed yard you would be okay and perhaps you could ask them to give you a days notice as to when their yard is going to be sprayed so you can cover your vegetables. OR like Kristin suggested, do raised beds. You could even buy plastic sheeting so it would be like putting your plants in a green house when you cover them.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

mimilou
Farmgirl in Training

13 Posts

Mary Lou
Lancaster PA
USA
13 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2009 :  02:28:22 AM  Show Profile
I am going to have our soil tested just to see... We work on an organic CSA over the summer and get free vegies every week, but I'd like to have a couple things in my own backyard. Thanks for your suggestions.
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Neighbor's Chemically Treated Yard Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page