Author A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic New Farm Next Topic  

dairygirl87
Farmgirl in Training

22 Posts

Laura Ann
Clarence New York
USA
22 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2006 :  11:12:40 AM  Show Profile  Send dairygirl87 an AOL message

Hi there-
I just found your website and sooo enjoy reading all of your posts! Im 18 and both my boyfriend and I are in college and plan to start an organic dairy farm after we graduate. I currently work on a bulk dairy farm, that's actually how I met him. I was just wondering if you had any words of advice for a young couple like us just starting out...

Thanks-a-million!
-Laura

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2006 :  11:34:17 AM  Show Profile
#1 - Start small so you don't get overwhelmed. Very easy to do.
#2 - Organize what you want to accomplish by priority...don't try to do it all your first year.
Remind yourself that you love your lifestyle, even when you're up to your knees in manure! I often say to myself over and over, I'm "harvesting" the barn (for the garden)...not cleaning it. lol
#3 - Maintain a sense of humor.
#4 - Prepare yourself to explain to city folk why you've chosen to do what you do. See #3.

Best wishes to you Laura Ann, I hope all your dreams exceed your expectations.
Diane
Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Catherine Farmgirl Sister #76
Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2006 :  1:28:21 PM  Show Profile
Well, Laura Ann,
I don't know if there's much better advice than Diane's. She covered it all. In fact, her #3 applies to all aspects of marriage from loving to fighting and everything in between.

I like to see couples get married when they're young....you get to grow up together instead of "finding yourself" before you even think about marriage. You get to find yourself together...you help each other find the best and worst in the other.

Diane also said something else very wise....remind yourself that you love your lifestyle. You may never make millions and may even have a hard time makin' a penny....but you love what you do and you love your future hubby...that's a good life.

Keep us posted on all your goings on!

Blessings
Catherine

One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt."
Go to Top of Page

Lauram
True Blue Farmgirl

74 Posts

Laura
Moneta VA
USA
74 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2006 :  2:21:19 PM  Show Profile
I don't have any advice except follow your dream! We have a local organic dairy where I live and it is very popular. They have wonderful ice cream, eggnog, butter, and all kinds of things. Just remember, if other people can make it work, why can't you? Good luck!

Laura
Go to Top of Page
  A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic New Farm Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page