Mother Hen
True Blue Farmgirl

604 Posts

Cindy
Peck ID
USA
604 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2009 :  9:42:58 PM  Show Profile
I'm so disappointed......alas, the person I sent an email to about raw cow milk just emailed me back and she is drying up her cow as her calf is now 9 mos old. She has another iron in the fire with someone else with a cow coming due in April, but doesn't know that woman's commitments so she will contact me if there is any availability.
This burst my bubble. I could almost taste the fresh milk of my youth.
Well, I'll leave it in God's hands as I do everything else and if He thinks its a good idea for me to have fresh raw milk for the family then it will work out.

Cindy

FARMGIRLS CAN DO ANYTHING!!!

I will bless the Lord at all times: his praise shall continually be in my mouth. Psalms 34:1
Go to Top of Page

GaiasRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2552 Posts

Tasha-Rose
St. Paul Minnesota
2552 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2009 :  08:17:05 AM  Show Profile
kristin, send me your email address and I'll send you all of the papers that I give to my customers who come buy shares of our goats for the milk.

~*~Brightest Blessings~*~
Tasha-Rose
Farmgirl Sister #88

Blogs:
http://gaiarose.wordpress.com
Etsy:
http://ForestFaeries.etsy.com

"Joyful chaos, working in tune with the seasons, telling itme by the sun, variety, change and self-direction; all this wwas replaced with a brutal, standardized work culture, the effects of which we are still suffering from today." - Tom Hodgkinson in 'How To Be Idle'
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2009 :  1:01:07 PM  Show Profile
Tasha, just e-mailed you. Thanks a bunch!

Kris

Turn your face to the sun and the shadows fall behind you. Maori proverb
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2009 :  1:06:23 PM  Show Profile
Cindy, don't give up! There is someone out there that has milk. Or you could look into getting one of your own. Then you'd have so much milk, you'll be looking for people to buy it from you! Wouldn't that be great? I have a friend who has 2 Jersey's. She milks twice a day. And uses a milking machine, too. It's bigger than her! She was getting about 9 gallons a day for awhile. Now she gets about 4-5. Thay are both pregnant and due at the same time.

But keep looking and talking to people. You'll find it.

Kris

Go to Top of Page

Mother Hen
True Blue Farmgirl

604 Posts

Cindy
Peck ID
USA
604 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2009 :  1:36:36 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Kris. I have asked DH if I can have one, but he says NO. His parents had a dairy for a long time and he remembers not ever being able to go anywhere more than 1/2 day out because you always had to be back home for milking. He says I have too much else to do(on my plate) and he is right, but that doesn't stop me from wanting one anyway.
I'll keep looking.

Funny thing happened this morning though...a neighbor from around the hill came over and said he wanted to give us 3 nubian/boer cross nannies as he has taken a job that will keep him away from home too much to care for his goats. Now as I said above somewhere, I was leaving this in God's hands if I get raw milk or not. I'm wondering now if God sent these goats to us so I will try milking them. I've tried goat milk once and didn't like it at all...but if it was really cold DH would drink it. Maybe this is what I'm supposed to do next, time will tell I guess. I'll let you all know if I end up milking them at some point.

Cindy

I will bless the Lord at all times: his praise shall continually be in my mouth. Psalms 34:1
Go to Top of Page

idsweetie72
True Blue Farmgirl

129 Posts

Sandra
New Meadows idaho
USA
129 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2009 :  3:12:50 PM  Show Profile
Cindy- I have had many people tell me that they have tried goats milk and haven't liked it either- I think the trick is to keep them away from the bucks while they are lactating- that, in my opinion- really DOES transfer a taste/smell.
Also- if you put the milk in the freezer immediatley after you strainer/or pastuerize it- in sterile glass jars- this helps keep it much more fresh.
Or- if it freaks you out too much to try it straight- mix it with cows milk- that is always another option!
I was afraid my kids would balk at fresh goats milk- but they love it! (Whew on that one!)
I hope you have a great day!
blessings

Mazy Day Farm
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2009 :  3:32:53 PM  Show Profile
Cindy, did you get them? If someone was going to give me 3 Nubians I'd snatch 'em up in a second. Wow! How's that for God's hand providing for you? And His timing, too. I prefer goats milk to cows really. If you get it cold as soon as possible it's much better. I actually like it a few days old. And I think it depends on the goat, too. And if she's just freshioned or not. Lots of factors to how goat milk tastes. It is much easier to digest than cow milk. People who are lactose intolerant can drink goat milk. I think also it's just the thought that turns people against goat milk. Oh, and never keep a buck near a doe. That is so nasty and does affect how the milk tastes.

I hope you seriously think about getting them. Goats are great. Can you tell I love goats?

Kris

Go to Top of Page

laluna
True Blue Farmgirl

295 Posts

New York
USA
295 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2009 :  4:42:23 PM  Show Profile
Mmmm...we drink raw milk when we're able to get it. Otherwise, I purchase gallons of pasteurized (not ultra), non-homogenized, cream-on-top milk from my CSA/farmer. I cannot drink "regular" milk anymore!

"I believe in God, only I spell it Nature." -- Frank Lloyd Wright
Go to Top of Page

Mother Hen
True Blue Farmgirl

604 Posts

Cindy
Peck ID
USA
604 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2009 :  4:51:43 PM  Show Profile
Sandra and Kris, thanks, I'll remember that about how to store it and to keep the buck away from them. We already have boer goats but we raise them as weedeaters and sell the wethers at the livestock auction for meat.

Kris-the guy is going to bring them over to us. They are a nubian/boer cross. I know when I've milked the boers to give to the babies (colostrum) only on occasion that they are hard to milk(small teats). I'll see what the teats are like on the nubian/boer cross. And yes!, God does provide! If I have any questions Kris, you are definitely going to be my "go to" girl to ask. (hope you don't mind)
I will probably try mixing it with the store bought cow milk at first to see if I can handle it. Thanks girls.

Cindy

Go to Top of Page

Mamarude
True Blue Farmgirl

107 Posts

Anna
Durango Colorado
USA
107 Posts

Posted - May 13 2009 :  1:14:17 PM  Show Profile
We are on our second season of raw milk, our herd share is a seasonal operation, so no luck in the winter. We get a gallon a week, and we use it for cheese, yogurt, kefir, everything! My only complaint is that it doesn't freeze well, I'd love to freeze some for the winter, it separates and looks funky, my kids won't touch it.
Go to Top of Page

mellaisbella
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

melanie
living on Anne of Green Gables land
Canada
1862 Posts

Posted - May 13 2009 :  4:33:31 PM  Show Profile
we drink raw milk from our cows but it is illegal for us to sell it or even give it away...if we get caught, we would loose our license

"we must be the change we wish to see in the world"
farmgal #150
Go to Top of Page

AlyssaMarie
True Blue Farmgirl

287 Posts

AlyssaMarie
Palouse Washington
USA
287 Posts

Posted - May 13 2009 :  5:15:57 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Rene for the awesome website www.realmilk.com. That was great. Our family is just getting started on our little farm but I aspire to owning our own Jersey cow for our families dairy needs. One step at a time I guess. But I love reading all the postings on this subject!

AlyssaMarie @ Link'd Hearts Ranch
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 13 2009 :  7:59:07 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
AlyssaMarie- Have you considered dairy goats? I have some friends in Potlatch that have Oberhasli goats. All the babies are bottle raises and super sweet. I am not sure if they have any gals to sell, but I could put you in touch with them.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

AlyssaMarie
True Blue Farmgirl

287 Posts

AlyssaMarie
Palouse Washington
USA
287 Posts

Posted - May 13 2009 :  9:47:52 PM  Show Profile
Hi Alee! Thanks for the idea. I brought the idea up at dinner tonight with the family and it was taken into consideration. Although I don't think my husband will want me to take on too much more until after the baby is born in the fall. We just got our first livestock (chickens and lambs) in March and this is our first full year on our property so we're still getting gardens and an orchard going. But perhaps I'll start doing serious research next winter and make a decision by spring. I'll have to track some goats milk for sale and see how my family likes it in the mean time.

AlyssaMarie @ Link'd Hearts Ranch
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 14 2009 :  08:52:29 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
AlyssaMarie- Store bought goats milk is NOTHING like fresh goats milk. If you are really interested I can see how much the goats are producing while I am there in a couple of weeks and could probably get you a good half gallon to try. There is no way that just Nora and I will be able to drink all the milk that the goats produce!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Raw Milk Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: