harmonyfarm
True Blue Farmgirl

785 Posts

Debbie
Southeastern Ohio
USA
785 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2009 :  09:38:25 AM  Show Profile
I've been telling people for a while about unplugging nearly every appliance when it isn't being used to help lower our monthly electric bill. I'm happy to say our new bill arrived yesterday and it is $49.00 cheaper than last month...you might want to try this at home!

Debbie

"If you can't find the time to do it right...how will you find the time to do it over"

sjs
True Blue Farmgirl

247 Posts

Stephanie
Oakland CA
USA
247 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2009 :  10:06:24 AM  Show Profile  Send sjs an AOL message  Send sjs a Yahoo! Message
Oh my gosh, that's incredible. What all did you unplug?

--------------------
Learning to live is learning to let go.

Visit my food blog! http://www.wasabimon.com - natural cooking to live for.
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2009 :  10:31:06 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Yes, it does. I did the same thing and my bill dropped $60. I unplugged my computer at night, 2 lamps we NEVER use, 1 phone, and something else. On top of that, I used my dryer only 1x a week, for less than 45 minutes. It is amazing!!!

Heather

Yee-Haw, I am a cowgirl!!!
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2009 :  10:31:34 AM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Love this.. very cool!

Rene~Prosser Farmgirl #185
http://farmchicksfarm.blogspot.com/http://renenaturallyspeaking.blogspot.com/

Circumstances made us FRIENDS; MaryJane's has made us SISTERS :)
Go to Top of Page

harmonyfarm
True Blue Farmgirl

785 Posts

Debbie
Southeastern Ohio
USA
785 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2009 :  11:06:11 AM  Show Profile
I only keep plugged in...
a chest freezer
a refrigerator
2 alarm clocks
an answering machine
washer and dryer....everything else is unplugged until it is used.

Since the weather is getting warmer, I'll soon be unplugging the dryer also...can't wait to see how that effects the bill....

Debbie

"If you can't find the time to do it right...how will you find the time to do it over"
Go to Top of Page

babysmama
True Blue Farmgirl

931 Posts

Elizabeth
Iowa
931 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2009 :  1:21:21 PM  Show Profile
That's great! BZut I thought it only affected items that go into sleep mode or have a light on. For example, if a light is shut off it is not using any electricity at all. Anything with a small light on at all times (like my tv) or anything with a clock (like the stove and microwave) always use a little power but things that can shut completely off light a lamp or dryer shouldn't be using any power when they are turned off, right?
-Elizabeth
Go to Top of Page

Montrose Girl
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm

1360 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
1360 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2009 :  11:35:24 AM  Show Profile
The tv and dvd palyer are huge energy consumers. Also make sure not to leave the cell phone charger, or any charger unless you are using it plugged in. My electric bill is usually less than the monthly coop charge I get.

Best Growing
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2009 :  1:39:43 PM  Show Profile
For alarm clocks we are switching to wind up so we don't use electric with them, and for dryer we live in a small NYC apartment no where to dry outside, but Bed, Bath And Beyond had white wire drying racks, that don't take up near the space of the accordian style ones, and you can get many more clothes on them then the accordion ones. It has three tiers, works great! We've been using them for two years now. We have a couple of cheap accordion ones, that we keep on hand for the rare times when we need a extra rack. Answering machine, if you have magic jack or vonage, you don't need a machine, the phone messages go to your email! I like that better any way as we never listened to the machine, but I open almost all my email so it's easier that way.

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

KD Earthwork
True Blue Farmgirl

210 Posts

Katie
Gualala Calif.
USA
210 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2009 :  07:28:34 AM  Show Profile
That's how you live "Off the Grid" all the time.We put everything into power plugs then always switch them off when leaving.We just removed a large TV 20" and only used 5watts instead of 45watts a day.Different appliances have huge differences.One 20"TV can draw 500w another 20w.There doesn't seem to be any sense to this.If you try to buy a range for new house they all "plug in" plus often even if it's gas it has an electric fan in oven or something for an electric ignition.Most people just use old stoves they work great and don't need to be plugged in.
I tried to get our electrician to put all the plugs in a room on a separate switch so we could just turn that off when we left a room.He didn't understand.This would be a great idea for kitchen counters one swith that turned all those plugs off.Also florescent bulbs are a huge savings instead of a 60watt bulb it uses 6watts.Even small night lights can use too much power.We have one by our bed and I always remind my husband that it uses 25w not the six watt of the overhead lamp.They even make decrotive floescent bulbs.Oh, also dimmer switches pull constant power, I'm not sure how much.
Katie
Go to Top of Page

KayB
True Blue Farmgirl

540 Posts

Kay
Del City Oklahoma
USA
540 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2009 :  11:08:51 AM  Show Profile
Do you have to unplug or can you just turn off the strip they're attached to? I had been told that you can do that to save power. But if it takes unplugging the power, strip, then so be it.

Life's a dance you learn as you go
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2009 :  2:53:05 PM  Show Profile
Turning off the power strip should do it, that's why there is power strips, so that it protects your stuff from being fried during a electric storm-turning the power completely off to that appliance. I believe most strips have insurance/warrenty if they don't.

Hmm, I can't remember much of this from school Katie, but maybe if you had used the electrical term, I'll have to ask my husband, but that I believe would of been called a parallel circuit that you wanted installed....if you can get some one to install it for you maybe if you tell them that they would understand.

IF you live off in the country out of city codes........you could possibly ask a high school tech teacher if he has a good student he could reccomend to you to come do the work for cheap. that's what we did when we had a home way out in the boonies......a friend of mine was taking it in votech in high school, we only had electric in one room! lol He came out and finished it. lol Since we were under no city codes it was fine. He did well and we never had a fire, my parents used what he put in for another 20 years before leaving that house!

And we did like it being a parallel circuit, that's what he put in for us, we just turned off one switch and it turned off all electric to the rest of the house, except for the one room that was already electrified, which we wouldn't of wanted to do that any way in there, since that was the kitchen-fridge! lol hahaha But.....our electric was get this.........11 dollars a month, and my mom used to complain! lol hahaha Seems funny now! We had a wood burning oven thankfully for cooking and heat and never had gas for anything. Of course we didn't have running water either! (a hand pump well was all we had, outside!)

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

KD Earthwork
True Blue Farmgirl

210 Posts

Katie
Gualala Calif.
USA
210 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2009 :  6:53:28 PM  Show Profile
Wow, Great way to grow up.Thanks for the tip. Unfortunatly walls get closed in,hard to redo electrical lines...See what we can comfortably live with? People think they all have to have it the same,3bedroom,3bath 2300sq.ft.plus...It's one of the things I find inspiring about Mary Jane's books and Magazine is examples of alternative,comfortable living,even beautiful.
Go to Top of Page

Maryjane Lee
True Blue Farmgirl

2195 Posts

Maryjane
CA
USA
2195 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2009 :  8:11:31 PM  Show Profile
Wow, that is wonderful Debbie! Proof is in the pudding!

Hugs,
Maryjane Lee

Farmgirl #44
Sisters on the Fly #595

http://thebeehivecottage.blogspot.com

http://beehivecottage.etsy.com

Go to Top of Page

kpaints
True Blue Farmgirl

1564 Posts

karen
cheney wa
1564 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2009 :  05:31:22 AM  Show Profile  Send kpaints an AOL message
I too was looking for the answer to BabysMama's question about appliances without lights? Anyone know, do we have to unplug unlite appliances too?

Find your joy and live it. http://cheneybaglady.blogspot.com/http://www.kpaints.etsy.com FG #377
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2009 :  06:41:43 AM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
If things like your toaster have lights that stay on, yes, unplug them. I unplug all my appliances, which aren't a lot cause I'm not a gadget kinda gal.

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Planting Zone 3

"Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly." The Dalai Lama
Go to Top of Page

farmgirl blessings
True Blue Farmgirl

777 Posts

Lea
TN
777 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2009 :  06:45:31 AM  Show Profile
Well that is really exciting. I can't wait to get unplugged!

Blessings, Lea
www.farmhouseblessings.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Mikki
True Blue Farmgirl

1510 Posts

Mikki
Austin Indiana
USA
1510 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2009 :  2:31:12 PM  Show Profile
WoW!!!! Amazing! I really never dreamed it would make that big of a difference so I've never tried it! Sure worth unplugging things.

~~Blessings, Mikki Jo

http://main.acsevents.org/goto/iloveyoumom

http://burningmeadowsprings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

nampafarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

494 Posts

Kim
Nampa ID
USA
494 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2009 :  3:12:20 PM  Show Profile
I am going to unplug as well. I would be able to cut my normal bill by over 1/2. Debbie, I am curious,what is your normal bill before yu got 'unplugged'?

Kim
Farmgirl Sister # 302
Go to Top of Page

harmonyfarm
True Blue Farmgirl

785 Posts

Debbie
Southeastern Ohio
USA
785 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2009 :  07:52:59 AM  Show Profile
27 years ago, our electric bill was $35.00 a month. Now it ranges from $85.00 a month to $119.00 a month depending on the weather an whether we're using space heaters and heat tapes. But by unplugging we saved $49.00 a month...I'm so looking forward to see what difference there will be when I unplug the dryer for the summer....

Go to Top of Page

harmonyfarm
True Blue Farmgirl

785 Posts

Debbie
Southeastern Ohio
USA
785 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2009 :  11:40:46 AM  Show Profile
ok, the "unplugging" is going very well. I'm getting used to plugging things back in to use them, but I still cannot believe the savings. Speaking of savings. We turned off all the pilot lights on our gas cookstove and now light the burners with a camping lighter. We are saving 71 cents a day in propane costs by doing this. I know that doesn't sound like much but if you do the math...that's $259.15 a year....I keep scratching my head trying to figure out other ways to cut back. Today was a great day to hang out laundry...windy and warm. Looking forward to seeing how much not using the dryer will be on a future electric bill.....anybody got any other cost cutting ideas?

Debbie

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2009 :  12:15:46 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Check out the Nifty Thrift Section of the forum! It's new but I think that will be where you will see lots of great and creative ideas for saving money popping up!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic unplugging pays off! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page