Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Garden Gate
 square foot gardening-i'm exhausted
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic square foot gardening-i'm exhausted Next Topic
Page: of 2

pamcook
True Blue Farmgirl

228 Posts

Pam
Chapel Hill NC
USA
228 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2009 :  3:54:08 PM  Show Profile
I'm among friends!!!! I'm still learning my way around and it's so good to not have to explain SFG - I can just ask questions!!
Last year, we built our little SFG and planted - everything grew to about 8 inches high and then NOTHING! They were the most beautiful "almost vegetable" plants you've ever seen. The squash bloomed like crazy and then NOTHING! The tomatoes never grew or flowered they stayed exactly like I planted them! We made Mel's mix according to his directions - I can't get anyone to help me come up with a theory.
Here is what I'm wondering -
?Too little sun - the patch gets late afternoon sun
?The spring was simply too hot?
?The compost wasn't really compost - not enough nutrients?
?Not enough bees? I honestly can't remember seeing any bees...(that makes me so sad, I could just cry every time I think about it)
I'm committed to trying again this year - help me out!

www.ikat.org
Go to Top of Page

dutchgirl
Farmgirl in Training

26 Posts

Lorraine
Hanover PA
USA
26 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2009 :  8:08:18 PM  Show Profile
Pamcook-Hmmm I had some similar problems with bean and cucs- I think my beds were 1) not deep enough 2) not consistently watered ( I fizzle out in July ) 3) I did not check my soil nutrients. 4) bees what bees? I haven't seen any other than a mean old wasps that scare me to death so all the above? This year I have increased the depth and I got this cool electronic soil tester at Lowe's for $19.97 that checks ph and nutrient levels in a snap. It said my PH was ideal, but "too little nutrients" so I added some manure and worked in some chemical ( I know bad girl) fertilizer. I don't know how I'm going to not fizzle when the heat and humidity get up there. I guess I'll count on you girls to tell me to move my plump hiney from the climate controled house outside to save my plants from thirst and angry weeds.

I would check the soil. Maybe the plants did not get what they needed to grow. Also, maybe more sunlight.
Lorraine Dutchgirl
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Garden Gate: Previous Topic square foot gardening-i'm exhausted Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page